• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Griffiths

Topsy

master brummie
I have searched ancestry, find my past, genes reunited, IGI but can't find the birth of my gt grandfather William Jura Griffiths, in an old family bible I found a possible date of Nov 25 1851 Birmingham

His father was William Griffiths mother Eleanor Jane

His father was a boot manufacture

He married Laura Emma Palmer in 1883

Also in the 1911 census the family is listed as living at 176 Broad St. with William as a teacher of dance and Laura as keeper of a boarding house. Would anyone have any pictures of this address and information on a dance school.
Thank You
Hilary

the 1861 census seems to show william was born abt 1851.

living bristol rd edgbaston

william griffith 35 master shoe maker employing 20 men women and boys

eleanor 36
ellen 13
mary ann 11
william 10
lizzie 3 all born bham

barbara russell 19 general servant b. kings norton

Hi Shera,
I think that's the right family, I found them in 1851 census living at 70 Lower Temple St, though Eleanors name was transcribed as Thomas Jane but everything else fits.
Thank You

if you apply to birmingham register office they will look for the name within i think 2 yrs either side and only send it to you (and charge you)if it is the correct parents i.e. william and eleanor. worth a try anyway.

he does appear on the igi but just says born abt 1851 bham parents william and eleanor.

In the 1896,1900 and 1904 Kellys directory William is listed as teacher of dancing at 4 Islington Row, while in 1908 both he and his wife (Mrs Jura Griffiths) are described as teachers of dancing at Islington Row. In 1895 just Mrs Griffiths is listed as living there. They are not mentioned in 1892.

Kellys 1912 edition lists William as teacher of dancing at 76 Broad street in their 1912 and 1913 editions, which would refer to 1911 and 1912 respectively. In 1908 no 176 was the Birmingham reform Club and by 1921 it is the Navy recruiting office and there is no mention of William Jura Griffiths in the directory

Mike

Hi Mike,
Fantastic information. I found William in 1891 at Islington Row as an Insurance & Business Broker, I guess he had a mid-life crisis and changed professions.

Did you see anything about Mrs Griffiths running the Boarding house, in the 1911 census she had an actor named O E Poties, his wife May and daughter Doris Leslie Mabel they were actresses plus Beryl Crystal Ford also actress.
I don't know if any of them were well known.

I looked for his wife as well, but the reference as a dancing teacher and the individual one at islington row were the only ones. Actually I was surprised to see those and only noticed one by chance, but then went back over the other volumes to check.
Mike

Thanks Mike and Shera for the info.

Do you have an address for the Birmingham Registry Office or can I contact them online.
Hilary

you can contact them and order the certificate online hilary. just google birmingham register office and be sure to put in the order that you only want the certificate with parents as stated. good luck and let us know :)

Hi Shera,

I applied on line to the birmingham register office ( quite easy ) and recieved the birth cert. for William Griffiths, the only thing that puzzles me is that it didn't have his middle name Jura on the cert. can I be sure it is the right one, the date looks about right Nov 25 1850

Hilary

i dont know why the jura was missing but you said in the first post that the family bible mentioned a birth date of 25 nov 1850 so if the parents are correct id say youve got the right one. :)

Thanks Shera

One more piece of the puzzle found, now on to his parents William Griffiths abt 1826 Birmingham ( problem is William was very popular name )
Mother Eleanor Jane Reading abt 1825 Birmingham

Hilary

eleanor jane reading appears to be an easy one for once

igi eleanor jane reading b. 2.2.1825 chr. 21.2.1825 st. phillips

father james reading mother eleanor.

the marriage is william griffiths to ellinor jane reading

1847 jan-mar kings norton 18 410

1841 park st. bham this could be your lot

elijah griffiths 40 cant read occ. coardwiner??
mary 40
richard 15 cant read occ.
elijah 10 same occ as above??
sarah 10
mary 5
martha 5
edwin 3
william 15 boot maker app.

the ages were rounded up or down in 1841 so these will only be approx

on igi birth william griffiths 25.6.1825 chr.4.10.1830 st. phillips

father elijah griffiths mother mary higginbottom

marriage at st martins 16.9.1822 elijah griffiths and mary higginbottom