• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Griffiths Willaim & Laura Emma nee Palmer

Topsy

master brummie
Taken by HH Greenway, Alpha Studio, Victoria Tavern, Dursley
I think around 1888 but not sure.

The picture isn't that clear, is it possible to make some improvement.

Re: Photo Willaim Griffiths & Laura Emma nee Palmer

Thanks Bren
It is a bite of an improvement, it now looks as if there are 2 children sitting on Lauras lap which would date it to 1891, what do you think.

Also do you know the photographer and I didn't know there was a Dursley in the Birmingham area

Hilary

Hi Topsy

Don't know if this will help you in any way but it looks like Dursley was in Gloucester, found this on the link below

"The Boot Inn", Silver Street
The Boot Inn stood opposite The Victoria Hall and Coffee Tavern which later became the Victoria cinema. Although classified as an alehouse it only had a six day license.
(c1905 - courtesy Cam & Dursley Camera Club)

https://www.dursleyglos.org.uk/html/dursley/pubs/pubs.htm

Some very nice old pic's on there

bren

nice link Bren and Dursley is in gloucestershire:)notice it was a pub link lol

I am afraid there is not much to go to make an improvement

it now looks as if there are 2 children sitting on Lauras lap
Hilary

You must remember those old camera's had a long exposure so the subject had to stay very still during this time, it looks to me like she had one child on her lap but didn't manage to stop her moving so you end up with a double exposure.
If you look at some old street scene shots sometimes you can see ghostly figures on them, these are people who walked slowly through the shot, if they walked quick enough they didn't show up at all.

bren

Thanks Bren & Otherhalf

You did a fantastic job. I managed to print off a good enlarged picture, it dates about 1891.
Good link on Dursley nice photos, I guess they must have been out on a day trip, were there cars back then or would it have been horse & buggy.

Hilary

Thank You to John you all work wonders I don't know how you do it but it's great.
Much appreciated.
Hilary

Back