• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Griffiths, Palmer, Eddowes in Birmingham

Topsy

master brummie
I recently found this site and hope someone can help me. I don't have access to a lot of info in Birmingham anymore as I moved to Vancouver, Canada in 1962.
I started my family ancestry which I find addicting and frustrating but won't quit.
I'm looking for info on William Jura Griffiths born 1851 who as a young man was a bootmaker like his father, then appeared to change to an Insurance & Business Broker, then a teacher of dancing school.
His wife Laura also known as Laurie Emma Palmer born Nov, 1858
Also her mother Jane Palmer formally Eddowes born abt. 1831 as in the 1901 census she was living with them and was aged 70, she was married to a Thomas Palmer.
Any info about there lives, deaths, parents, siblings would be much apprecated.
I'm also looking for my half brother & sister who I last had contact with in 1977 they were living just out of Sutton Coldfield in Mere Green I think.
Steven Gordon Griffiths born 1961
Susan Gina Griffiths born 1963
Thank you in advance
Hilary

i

Hello and welcome Topsy im sure somebody on here will be able to help you with your research,they are the salt of the earth:)Mau-reece

This could be your family and the only Eddows on the 1841 Warwickshire Census :
Place: Birmingham -Warwickshire
Civil Parish: B'ham (St Mary)
Address: Staniforth St

Surname First name(s) Sex Age Occupation Where Born
EDDOWES Thomas M 30 Shoemaker Warwickshire
EDDOWES Hannah F 25 Outside Census County (1841)
EDDOWES Jane F 1 Warwickshire

Pom :angel:

If that is your family then this is Thomas 1881 Census. Hannah may have died and looks like he remarried .
Name RelationMarital StatusGenderAgeBirthplaceOccupationDisability Thomas EDDOWES Head M Male 70 N K, Wales Shoe Maker
Charlotte EDDOWES Wife M Female 58 Birmingham, Warwick, England

Dwelling Moland St No 107
Census Place Birmingham, Warwick, England

Pom :angel:

Thank You so much for your reply.
I don't think it is the right family as Jane would have been born in 1840, where my Jane was born abt. 1831
Hilary

This might be of some help to people looking for me.
I found in the 1861 census
Thomas Palmer 30 - carriage lamp maker
Jane Palmer 30 - tobacconist
Laura Emma Palmer 2
Ellen Ratcliffe 3mths.
Caroline Rawath 14
I think the address was 22 Smallbrook St.

I don't know if it's the right family but the ages fit.

Here is a possible marriage of Thomas and Jane.
Jane Eddos 1858 Aston (1837-1924) Warwickshire
Thomas Palmer 1858 Aston (1837-1924) Warwickshire
Year of Registration: 1858 Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar
District: Aston (1837-1924) County: Warwickshire
Volume: 6d Page: 225

Thank You, it is a possibilty. I wonder if Jane Eddos is a spelling era or her real name. I did look for more Eddos but couldn't find any.

It's probably a spelling thing!! A lot of people wrote "phonetically" years ago,and there wasn't schooling then as there is now,so some people couldn't even sign their name,as is seen on some certificates (marked with a X).
Jane Eddos was the only Jane that I could see who was married to a Thomas Palmer and who was about the right age!
Good luck with your research.

I have Jane Palmer nee Eddowes in my family tree. She was my great great great grandfathers niece. In the 1861 census Palmer is spelt Palmore if that helps. Janes children were Laura Emma 1858, Sarah 1859, Emma 1861, Thomas 1866, Rose 1868, Mary Ann 1869 and William 1871. If you need any help let me know :)

Hi,
Thank you for your response.
I have found a 1861 census for a Thomas Palmer 30, Jane Palmer 30 Laura Emma 2, Ellen Ratcliff 3 months and a Caroline Rawath 14
Thomas is listed as a carriage lamp maker
In my great grandfathers William J Griffiths 1901 census he was married to Laurie ( should be Laura ) 42, children Frank L 14, Nellie N 12, William H 17 and living with them was Jane Palmer 70 widow, this would make Jane born abt. 1831
Does this fit with your Jane Palmer nee Eddowes

Hi, sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you. The 1861 census you found is correct - no idea where I got the Palmore one from :confused:. The only birth I can find for a Jane Eddowes is on the IGI which states "birth 01/01/1842, christening 27/12/1842 parents Thomas and Hannah St Martin Birmingham" which sounds about right. In the 1861 census her daughter Sarah is living with Thomas and Rosanna. I haven't researched much on this line as I have been following the Wolverhampton Eddowes one. Let me know if theres anything you would like to know on the Eddowes bit

Back