• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

griffin brooks lane

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi mike..i need your help again please..:rolleyes: any chance of map showing rose cottage in griffin brooks lane please...i know it was there in 1920 but doubt if it still exists but any map would be great..

thank mike...

lyn:)

I think you are right Lyn about it not being there now. Seems to be relatively modern old peoples cottages.
It is complicated by the fact that (as you can see from the map, in 1908 (the map below) griffins brook lane was somewhat different, including part of what is now part of cob lane. However there only seems to be 3 houses on thelane on the map and only three entries on the electoral rolls for 1920 and 1925 (the 1912 entry is not clear) . In 1920 and 1925 Jeremiah & Genev maria Jones lived at Rose cottage, but in the 1925 version it is numbered as no 115. From the directories (which around then also list only 3 houses) no 115 is nearest Bristol road south, and so the one marked in red must be rose cottage
Mike

map_1908_rose_cottage__griffins_brook_lane.jpg

thank you mike...yes the jones family are shirleys relatives..she knew they were there in 1911 but i dont think she knew about 1920 and 25 so i will pass this info onto her when we meet up tomorrow....i think shirley said that after rose cottage the jones family moved onto 184 bourneville lane..she has them there in 1930...

thanks again mike we are now getting a bit of info together....

lyn

I'm doing some research on Rose cottage too. Have found out that my great-grand parents Samuel and Ellie Hart (nee Griffiths), and my Grandmother Muriel Hart
lived there around 1925. I heard the house was destroyed by a land mine.

Back