• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Grey Peas and Bacon

dirtyden

Black Country Boy
I bet not many of yer remember this dish eh ? I think we always had it on Ash Wednesday. My mom's from the Black Country so it may have been a local tradition there rather than in Aston !
:D

Hello DD: I certainly remember grey peas and bacon. Don't ever remember my Mom cooking it but my Gran loved it. She used to get the grey peas from a shop in Park Road, on the left hand side going towards Aston Church. I think they sold fishing tackle and bait as well.

I would... I would... honest, DD... if I could only catch it! :borg: :borg: :borg:

:lol:

Don't remember any wriggling grey peas, but the bin was close to the maggots. I guess you needed good eyesight, otherwise you could be chasing your dinner around the plate! :cry:

:D Well according to Dirtyden I should have had to chase my dinner, as it seems it had four legs when I thought it only had two :twisted: .Ref;'The Silence is killing me' :lol:

Curried rat probably tastes like chicken when it's got extra Garam Masala
in it Pomog ?
:twisted:

I love the dish I think they are called New Zealand Green I think this is one for Chris

Still eat them now Got my first lot in Bilston

Last edited:
Does anyone out there know where I can buy grey peas around Birmingham or the Black Country? I'm sure you must be able to get them from somewhere.

You're not going to believe this mfree but I know a farmer who buys them from a pet store. They are sold as pidgeon feed. Bye. Jean.

Grey Peas, food for the birds here folks ... Although they eat Pumpkin like it's going out of fashion and I thought when I was a kid that it was only Cow-fodder. LOL

By the way have merged the two threads into one...

Chris/Pom

Thanks for all the replies. Did'nt expect to get them from a pet shop but all the replies are very interesting!

Hi everyone. For anyone that maybe interested, I have found a supplier of grey peas both cooked and uncooked. West Bromwich market.
Bon appetit!

Hi everyone. For anyone that maybe interested, I have found a supplier of grey peas both cooked and uncooked. West Bromwich market.
Bon appetit!
Hello found this post whilst searching, my nan used to have gray pays and grawty puddin. She also liked chickerlins and fsaggits n pays med with the kell.
My mates Irish gran used t make us a gas house egg.
Nico

My brother makes the best gray pays un bercon yo've ever tersted!!! My mom passed on the recipe and gave me the recipe for her home - made faggots.... though you can't by a set of lights and any kel at any of the butchers round here anymore!!

My brother makes the best gray pays un bercon yo've ever tersted!!! My mom passed on the recipe and gave me the recipe for her home - made faggots.... though you can't by a set of lights and any kel at any of the butchers round here anymore!!
No chance for me then over here.
My mum liked brains on toast but you can't buy them now, because of the hormones in them I was told. Nan liked cow heel and udder. I wonder if you can buy that. In France I ate pigs snout. And their ox tongue looks like a tongue so I shut my eyes and it tasted nice. The cow's stomach made me feel ill though. Yul. Had to have a large brandy.

hi there nico ; you want to try the good old irish stew called codell every think goes in it
even your sausges bacon ; grey peas or get the ones you soak over night in a bowl or basin in a cloth ;
and boil the heart of it and stir until thick ; and dip your skoda bread in it a true home made irish bread ;for get the english tradional bread ith it
best wishes astonian ;;

Grey Peas, food for the birds here folks ... Although they eat Pumpkin like it's going out of fashion and I thought when I was a kid that it was only Cow-fodder. LOL

By the way have merged the two threads into one...

Chris/Pom
G'day Pom. Or don;t thay say that? Nan told me brocoli and flat pea pods what they call mange tout now were fed to the chickens.
Nico

hi there nico ; you want to try the good old irish stew called codell every think goes in it
even your sausges bacon ; grey peas or get the ones you soak over night in a bowl or basin in a cloth ;
and boil the heart of it and stir until thick ; and dip your skoda bread in it a true home made irish bread ;for get the english tradional bread ith it
best wishes astonian ;;
Hi Asti, I had coddle in Dublin, a long time ago, very tasty it was and Irish Stew in Powers Court Mews, very touristy then, a student played a grand piano on a dias, i had I think soda bread with it, very grey looking, wasn't brown like I buy in Sainsburys here. And not sweet. I also like barmbrack. and potatoes cakes, Do you?
Best Wishes to you too.
Nico

I wish I could try some.
Nan called spare rib chops sparrak chops, she got some funny looks when she moved here.
We took some friends out to a pub near here and one had faggotts, they didn't like them and ask the chef and he said they were made with beef offal! huh?

Back