• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

greaves

dereklcg

master brummie
i,m looking to find cousins,
named Greaves there last known address was Kemp road
glebe farm area,be nice to catch up.
both my uncle Doug and aunt Ada are now gone
i also had an uncle and aunt in the shard end,area
no longer here, but they had kids and i don,t know
where they mite be?
time frame i,m looking at is early to late 60s / 70s
i,m don,t know what anyone mite be doing for a living?
there are male and female among them,and of coarse
are more likely than not married. regads dereklcg.

Last edited:
Timeframe

Hi Derek m8 :) Best to put up a "Timeframe" for the periods you are
looking for the GREAVES cousins, & possible Occupations,
Places where they worked etc,, Cheers John Y :cool:

re:time frame

hi john thanks for that i never thought,not tried before
i was just on the phone to my sister in nottingham,something
she said and i thought i,d have a go.
as it goes she,s doing our family tree,don,t you find a thing or
three about your family nothing bad but interesting.
happy days regards derek.
PS: just found this don,t know if you,ve seen it? i think
it,s great i,m going to see if i can get a copy to frame,

Derek there was a family named Greaves who i knew lived in Shakespeare Rd Ladywood across the road from us any connections

Mossy

re greaves ladywood

hi mossy,as far as i,m aware we had know one in that area
smethwick is as near as i know apart from the the area,glebe/shard end
thanks for your input.
regards dereklcg.

Hi Derek:
We had a family down the road from us called Greaves. This would be off Marsh Hill, Erdington. Hilda Greaves was the wife and seemingly they knew my Father's family from Witton years ago.

greaves family

hi jennyann,thanks for your info,
but i don,t think we had a Hilda greaves in the family,
my sister is doing our family tree,i,ll be seeing her next
week, we,re having a week in Nottingham.
i,ll be able to get the story so far,, regards dereklcg.

Hi Derek there was a family of Greaves in Hurstcroft Road Kitts Green I used to go to school with Maureen Greaves in the 1950's

Hi Derek

I have a Greaves connection in my family tree. In 1901 they were living in Clifton Road, Aston and then I found them in Alleyne Road, Erdington in the 1925 Electoral Rolls. Any connection with yours?

Judy

greaves connection

hi judy we may have a connection i,m seeing my sister monday we,re going to see her in nottingham.
she has it goes is doing our family tree.
i,ll be back in touch if it,s a match..
regards and thanks dereklcg.

Hi Derek

I look forward to hearing more from you. I am keeping my fingers crossed. Joseph Greaves married Eliza Hanson in 1887 at St Pauls Church, Aston. Eliza was my grandfather's sister. Before their marriage Joseph lived with his family in Inkerman Street.

Judy

Hi Derek there was a family of Greaves in Hurstcroft Road Kitts Green I used to go to school with Maureen Greaves in the 1950's
sorry mate we were all still living in nechells then,
thanks for your input though.
regards dereklcg.

Hi,

I used to live in Trinity Road and there was a Greaves family next door. The sons there were Michael and Brian Greaves. Brian has died (cant remember when) but as far as I know Michael is still living.

I moved to Wales in 1953 and wouldnt know which direction they would have gone.

Ann Evans

Hi,

I used to live in Trinity Road and there was a Greaves family next door. The sons there were Michael and Brian Greaves. Brian has died (cant remember when) but as far as I know Michael is still living.

I moved to Wales in 1953 and wouldnt know which direction they would have gone.

Ann Evans
Hello thank you for your input,it was the second time around for my Dad Horace,he had a sister Dora and twin brothers Douglass and Hinnie,
there was two sons by his first marriage Morris who is no longer here and his brother Colin,we lived in nechells and moved to South Yardley.
i was five in 53 just starting school.. thank you Ann for taking the time regards Derek

hello derek,
just found your greaves thread ( i must catch up). my main maternal line is greaves. george and evelyn greaves lived around the lozells/ newtown areas but then moved up to kitts green-lea village areas in the 1930's. my mother(sheila,nee greaves) now lives in shard end and her older sister lives there aswell. i think one of my mothers brothers now lives in kingshurst. hope there is a connection.
regards,
steve.

i almost forgot. DOTTIEAU are you out there? the maureen greaves you mentioned in hurstcroft rd is my aunt!!!!!!!
it's a small world isn't it.
speak soon,
steve.

I knew a greaves family from mapledene rd sheldon They also had a shop in Bordsley Green. Another Greaves family (no relation) lived in Greenvale Avenue of Mapledene road.

Hello Steve,close but to early as in years,as it happens i have a older sister Sheila nee greaves,my uncle lived in Kemp rd down from the glebe and his twin lived in shard end.
regards Derek

Hi Steve as you say a small world Maureen was a good friend of mine when we went to Lea Village school. if you are in contact with her ash her if she remembers Dorothy Bowen.

Hi Ive had request today from Rhonda Willington in Australia for any information for her maternal G/mother Daisy May Davies born 1901 daughter of Matilda ,,, Daisy married a John William Greaves and had 3 children Irene,Daisy, and Joyce Rhondas mother thanks in advance cheers Tom
icon7.gif

john william greaves and daisy may greaves were living at 298 wheelwright rd. from 1930-1939

i have looked for a death of daisy greaves and the only one showing up is

daisy greaves born 7 may 1901 died 1978 halifax, west yorks vol 4 1008

daisys father was john davies b. 1861 in snowdon, north wales he was a brass caster
mother was matilda b. 1864 in bham

Hello all sorry as far as i know they are not part of my family.
thank you anyway.
regards dereklcg

Back