• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Great King Street

hi robb as you say such a shame the old chapel went...i take it you have seen the pics of it that are on the forum...think there are two of them...

lyn
Yes Lyn. It's great to see all the old pics of the area on this Forum. I lived 3/128 Bridge St. West, moved to 66 Well St when I was about 11 and then to Gerrard St. in 1963. Rob

Yes Lyn. It's great to see all the old pics of the area on this Forum. I lived 3/128 Bridge St. West, moved to 66 Well St when I was about 11 and then to Gerrard St. in 1963. Rob

and im from villa street rob...born in paddington st moved to villa when i was about 5...ive just phoned my brother up and told him about his life boys records being on the net...hes gob smacked so ive saved them and printed them off for him...he remembers those days so well.my grandparents had a little shop at 22 well st ...also take it that you have seen all the bridge st west photos..would hate you to miss any...

lyn

and im from villa street rob...born in paddington st moved to villa when i was about 5...ive just phoned my brother up and told him about his life boys records being on the net...hes gob smacked so ive saved them and printed them off for him...he remembers those days so well.my grandparents had a little shop at 22 well st ...also take it that you have seen all the bridge st west photos..would hate you to miss any...

lyn
Yes thanks Lyn, but this site has grown so large that I keep finding threads that I have not read and your many pictures are great. Thanks again Rob

lyn
Yes, thanks Lyn, but this site has grown so large I keep finding new threads I have not seen before!
My son is scanning all the 1st A BB pictures and memorabilia and loading them on flickr ready for the centenary next year. Glad your brother found his name on one of the Life Boy roll books. Unfortunately many of them have not survived. Thanks again for all your pictures. Rob

bri and rob i posted this ariel shot on the lucas thread but looking at it again surely thats the peoples chapel towards the bottom left also showing the rooms at the back of it that bri mentioned some time back...i never stop learning about the old end..
lucasschool.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Lyn. Yes that is the old People's Chapel with a good view of the 3 storey school rooms.
lucasschoolPC.jpgThats my (old) home! Labelled with the locations of my first 2 homes, my primary school and People's Chapel. Rob

thanks for the labelled pic rob...im still on the hunt for a good pic of harry lucas school...the ariel shot of it is the best we have so far..i see that you didnt live that far away from from grandparents shop at 22 well st...here is a not very good pic of the shop.to the far left of the pic with the advert on the wall..that would be smith st on the right..

lyn
wellstreet.jpg

Last edited:
Brian. A few years ago we went to Key Hill cemetery with the Boys' brigade lads and a list of the Founders to see how many we could find. Found John Skirrow Wright and. I think, one other but if you know the locations of some of the others it would be great to repeat the exercise next spring/summer with the present members, especially as it is the 1st A BB centenary year. (You probably saw the list of the 40 founders - https://www.peopleschapel.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/History/ThePeople.html ) I also have the names of some of the other early members who may be in Key Hill. Rob
Hi Rob,
I joined up with the Friends of Key Hill after the 1st A had been, so missed that, but saw it mentioned. At that time I printed off the Founders from the Chapel website and searched the KH Index for matching names. It was passed to the Committee at the time as a possible research item. The info seems tohave 'been lost' with other stuff when some people sneaked away and later formed their own little group - gathering info, rather than practical help to retain/restore the cemeteries.
If I get a chance, may try and repeat the exercise. Having an index only as we officially do, all we can do is match up similar names. Does the Chapel have records of Funeral Servives, or notes of dates/years of death of the Founders in their minutes? I assume these records are still with the Chapel or are they lodged in the Library in packing crates?

It's a pity the early-mid '60's were such a time of demolition. They eventually realised they were demolishing faster than new building was occurring and much of Lozells was 'saved' - Eventual;ly realised that rewire, reroof, damp-proof and build a bathroom was an easier and cheaper option - the houses up between Gerard St and Lozells road have proved that they by lasting for another 50 years - and still going strong.
Had the Chapel managed to hold on for a decade, it would have been probably listed - with some money spent on it - clean & repair, slight upgrade - it would be a lovely jewell in the area - St pauls in the Jewellery Quarter has survived and is still a really pretty place.
Brian

Thanks Brian. We do have some old minute books at the Chapel but the very first one (or possibly two) are lodged with the Library and won't be accessible fo some time. I do have some information on the early members in a spread sheet I researched for the 150th in 1998 so I will post a list of what I have.
This sounds like a super project for the Boys' Brigade lads (and they could help with another clean up at the same time). If you are able to regenerate the information from the records you have access to, we could search and photograph - but it sounds like a job for when we have lighter evenings. Rob

The Indexes we have, thanks to the Birmingham & Midland Society for Genealogy & heraldry photographing the Burial Registers, transcribing & computerising them - are alphabetical by Surname, than by Christian name/Initials, Year of Burial. They have the Grave Section/Number and a unique Burial Register number (starting at 1 - currently at 60,044).
I labouriously copied from PDF's and typed into a Word Document - printed out and available to view 7 days a week at the Pen Museum in Frederick St.
Would any of the lads like to check your list of Founders names against the Index one weekend? See how many we names we can match up?
Cannot guarentee it is the actual Founders until we have a date for the death/burial - but it's a start.
Could it count towards a badge of some sort - I assume they still do things for badges, these days?
Brian

Thanks Brian. Sounds great. I will generate some enthusiasm and prepare lists for a Saturday morning, probably in January if that is possible. Do we need to book? rob

Museum is free to go in - well worth a trip one day in it's own right.
The Carl Chinn Library room is a recent addition - lots of books on local history as well as pens - just ask to be directed to the Key Hill shelf - books are there to be viewed - both key Hill & Warstone Lane Indexes
Colin Giles is on duty at weekends - he is Chairman of the Friends - very helpful as well as knowledgeable.

Hi , im john stone , I used to live across the rd from the boys brigade in great king street . The boys brigade was run by a high court judge named judge finimore . Being a mischievous lad of around 10 , when the boys brigade were gathered , I used to keep throwing the mains light switch located by the front door and plunge the place into darkness , im sure the judge would have strung me up if he caught me !

A glimpse of 40-43 Great King Street and Jenkinson’s Furnishing drapers in 1883. Any ideas what junction this was ? Viv.BED37EF4-6732-4C38-8BDA-8BFB2252A9AE.jpeg

viv thats a cracking image..i had no idea that this company existed in GKS..hoping mike will see this and post us a map showing the location

lyn

The Duke Of Cambridge.

Attachments

• 8E06565C-1813-4CEF-BA69-B951A5B0A0DC.jpeg
    8E06565C-1813-4CEF-BA69-B951A5B0A0DC.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
  • 3FFCEF9C-5EA3-4F10-B639-C0FAE3B7FD4C.jpeg
    3FFCEF9C-5EA3-4F10-B639-C0FAE3B7FD4C.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 13
As this thread has new posts I will give a link to the new location for the People's Chapel history pages as the links on this thread are no longer available. 1abirmingham.boys-brigade.org.uk/PC/History/1848

If this is Burbury ST and taken from the roof of Lucas's, then I believe the two shops must be nos 13 and 15 Burbury St. In the 1932 Kellys no13 is Misss Jessie Lloyd, tobacconist, while no 17 was Mrs Louisa Williams, confectioner. In 1921 no 13 was Mrs Sarah Ivens, tobacconiat, while no 15 is not listed. In both cases the building to the right of these shops was a pub, The Vine Inn

map c1889  showing 13 & 15 Burbury St.jpg

Back