• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Great Hampton Picture Palace 124 Livery Street

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
until yesterday i knew nothing about this one...opened 1912 closed early 1930s so a very short life span as a cinema...i believe only silent movies were shown at this cinema...amazingly the building is still there but used for something else now...i took a photo of it yesterday and will post it later as i am not at home at the min...also have some photos of it coming to me asap but in the meantime if anyone can find any photos or old newspaper snippets about this cinema that would be great

lyn

Lyn

I can't find a photo before it closed, but it opened on the 28th of November 1912. The Manager was Mr Joe Melman it had a seating capacity of 700. In 1924 it was taken over by Excellent Cinema (1924) Ltd and the manager then was Mr John Steal. In 1930 it was again taken over by Hampton Cinemas Ltd and at that time the manager was F E Williams. It closed in the early 1930's and was converted for industrial use.

City  Great Hampton Livery St.jpg

many thanks for that info mike and phil....the photos i have coming will be taken out of tram books which also show the cinema..will post as soon as i get them

lyn

Back