• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Great Brook Street Barracks

In the 1881 census, the barracks are occupied by the 5th Dragoon Guards, theres about one hundred Officers and men, plus about forty live in civilians.
Heres a few Officers.

Institution: "Cavalry Barracks" Great Brook St
Census Place: Aston, Warwick, England
Source: FHL Film 1341723 PRO Ref RG11 Piece 3027 Folio 25 Page 41
Marr Age Sex Birthplace
Walter H. ATHERTON U 26 M Westminster, Middlesex, England
Occ: Captain 5th Drag Guards
Richard C.B. LAWRENCE U 23 M Lahore, India
Occ: Captain 5th Drag Guards
William J. MACKESON U 24 M London, Middlesex, England
Occ: Lieutenant 5th Drag Guards
John W.R. PARKER U 23 M Browsholme Hall W R (Extra Parochial), York, England
Occ: Lieutenant 19th (P.N.O.) Regim
Charles H. MORGAN U 32 M Newport
Occ: Troop Sergeant Major

A very interesting photo and a smashing aerial view. I can remember seeing the carcase of St James Church (on the right of the aerial view) from a passing No 10 tram in Ashted Row, with its roof hanging down after an air raid. It was pulled down quite soon, I remember.
That church was built onb the site of Dr Ash's house before he moved to Bath and donated the land to the church.
Peter

In 1851 my g.g. grandfather John Raybould had a pub the Wine Vaults at 42 John Street, Dale End, apart from his family he had the following lodgers:-

William Pole Sgt. 39 Regt. Foot, age 28

Charles Hodgets 36, Sgt. 82nd Regt. Foot
Josh Smith 33, Private 82nd Regt. Foot
Michael Hughes 27, Private 82nd Regt. Foot

Peter jumped in before I had finished my post, but I was going to say do you think soldiers could pay for their own lodgings if they could afford it? John Street was very near to the barracks in Gt. Brook Street.

Sylvia, I don't think the soldiers staying at the pub would be from the barracks, they're from an Infantry regiment, and the barracks are for Calvary regiments.
The 82 Reg of foot did serve in the Crimean war just a few years after 1851.

Nick

Thanks Nick, I just wonder what they were doing lodging at the pub. Lets hope they all survived if they fought in the Crimea.

Sylvia, Way back during the Battle of Brum the soldiers had nowhere to sleep and had to sleep in pubs etc. that is why the Barracks where built. I will be doing a piece on this subject for Postie and Jerry on their Small Heath Website as I wish them all the best

sylviasayers said:
Thanks Nick, I just wonder what they were doing lodging at the pub. Lets hope they all survived if they fought in the Crimea.

Perhaps they were a recruiting party, they had used to lodge in pubs.

I happen to know where the only (and last) remaining street sign saying 'Ashted Row' is still sited..
I really do have to take a photo of it before someone nicks or removes it..

I often wonder where this Photograph
of my dad was taken? I know it was somewhere in B'ham, 1914
so could it have possibly have been at
Gt.Brook St. Barracks?

it was the depot for the cavalry of the line regular army 4th and 5th Dragoon Guards in 1931 so it seems likely to be the same

Cavalry Barracks from An Historical Sketch of Birmingham Beilby Knott Beilby pub 1830.

Cavalry2520Barracks2520252625236.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
My great-grandfather, Stephen William Jones, was listed with the 6th Dragoon Guards (Carabiniers) in the 1891 census as a baker. He is also listed in the same census one street away (205, 4 Windsor St., Aston) with his wife Mary Ann (Wills), daughter of Mary Ann (nee Povey) Wills and (deceased) Charles Henry Wills. He is somewhat of a mystery, since he enlisted 9 March 1886 at London, stating that he had no next-of-kin. His marriage certificate states that his father was Frederick Jones, deceased, occupation baker. His place of birth is variously stated as London, Middlesex, and Battersea Surrey.

By October of 1886 Stephen is in India with the 6th Dragoon Guards. He was in B'ham (for the census in 1891) but then by June 1891 is listed (service records) as being in Edinburgh. He was discharge in 1898. I have done some research on the Carbinierers, but am not much up on the military history. I have the records from a website in the UK.

I have found (through the same website) records for a Frederick Jones who was a baker in the 53rd Foot. But there is no mention of Stephen in any of his records. The only records that I can find of him has him marrying rather late, and moving (I think) to the Channel Islands. Stephen may have been illegitmate. Out of all the records that I've examined, none seem to fit.

Well, that's my story! I am glad that I''ve found out that much, but there is a long way to go. The Barracks must hold a lot of similar stories. Here's to all of us who never give up, who want to hear the rest of the story!

Cheryl

Hello

I have just started on researching the history of Great Brook Street Barracks. At the moment, I am compiling a list of the occupants of the Barracks up to 1911, when the Territorial Force took over the barracks. Here is what I have so far, with a few gaps which some members may be able to fill:

1792 (August) Royal Horse Guards – may not have been in barracks, but reported to be stationed in Birmingham
1794-1795 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] Dragoons
1797 (September) 1[SUP]st[/SUP] Royal Dragoons – detachment at Coventry
1798 (July) 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] Dragoons
1799 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] Dragoons (Scots Greys)
1800 6[SUP]th[/SUP] (Inniskilling) Dragoons
1800 (September) 17[SUP]th[/SUP] Light Dragoons
1801-July 1802 – 1[SUP]st[/SUP] KDG
1806 (Jan/Feb) – 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] Dragoon Guards
1807 (July) – HQ 4[SUP]th [/SUP]DG
1811 – 7[SUP]th[/SUP] Dragoon Guards
1813 – 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] Dragoons (Scots Greys) – 2 Troops
1816 (November) 15[SUP]th[/SUP] Hussars
1818 – 5[SUP]th[/SUP] Dragoon Guards
1819 – 6[SUP]th[/SUP] Dragoon Guards
1820 – 4[SUP]th[/SUP] Light Dragoons (2 Troops detached at Coventry)
1821 – 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] Dragoons (Scots Greys)
1822 – King’s Dragoon Guards
1823 – 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] Dragoon Guards
1824 -2[SUP]nd[/SUP] Dragoon Guards
1824 (July) – 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] Light Dragoons
1825 (May) – 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] Dragoons (Scots Greys)
1826 – 6[SUP]th[/SUP] Dragoon Guards (left December – 3 Troops marched to Nottingham)
1826 (December) 4[SUP]th[/SUP] Dragoon Guards
1827 (March) – 6[SUP]th[/SUP] Inniskilling Dragoons
1828 (April) 14[SUP]th[/SUP] Light Dragoons (three troops) – Headquarters at Coventry
1829 14[SUP]th[/SUP] Light Dragoons (left in May)
1829 (May) to 1830 (April) 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] Dragoon Guards (3 Troops)
1830 (from May) 5[SUP]th[/SUP] Dragoon Guards
1831 7[SUP]th[/SUP] Hussars
1832 – 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] Dragoons (Scots Greys)
1833 (March) – 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] Dragoon Guards
1833-May 1834 – 8[SUP]th[/SUP] Hussars
1834 – 12[SUP]th[/SUP] Lancers
1835 – from April, 1[SUP]st[/SUP] KDG
1836 (to May) – 1[SUP]st[/SUP] KDG
1836 (May) to February 1837 – 7[SUP]th[/SUP] Dragoon Guards
1837 (February) – 1838 (April) – 5[SUP]th[/SUP] Dragoon Guards (from Leeds)
1838 (April) -April1839 – 14[SUP]th[/SUP] Light Dragoons
1839 (April) - 1840 (April) – 4[SUP]th[/SUP] Dragoon Guards
10[SUP]th[/SUP] Hussars listed as being in Birmingham in June 1840
1840-1841 (February) – 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] Dragoons (Scots Greys)
1841 (February) - 1842 (May) – 6[SUP]th[/SUP] Inniskilling Dragoons
1843 (March) – 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] Dragoon Guards
1843 (April) – April 1844 – 17[SUP]th[/SUP] Lancers
1844 7[SUP]TH[/SUP] Hussars (HQ & 2 Troops)
1845 (April) – 1846 (April) – 6[SUP]th[/SUP] Inniskilling Dragoons
1846 (April) to 1848 (May) – KDG
1850 (January) – 5[SUP]th[/SUP] DG
1851 (March) – 4[SUP]th[/SUP] Dragoon Guards
1852 – 16[SUP]th[/SUP] Lancers (3 Troops) – mentioned in Regimental History – June 1852 embarked for Ireland
1852 (April) – 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] Dragoon Guards
1853 (April) – 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] Dragoons (Royal Scots Greys)
1854 (April) – 13[SUP]th[/SUP] Light Dragoons – dispatched to the Crimea – left Depot at Birmingham
1855 Depot Troops, 6[SUP]th[/SUP] Dragoon Guards
1856 Depot Troops, 6[SUP]th[/SUP] Dragoon Guards
1857 10[SUP]th[/SUP] Hussars
1858 4[SUP]th[/SUP] Light Dragoons
1859 (June?) 11[SUP]th[/SUP] Hussars
1860 11[SUP]th[/SUP] Hussars until April, then 4[SUP]th[/SUP] Dragoon Guards – recorded in House of Commons papers
1861 (July) 4[SUP]th[/SUP] Dragoon Guards
1862 1[SUP]st [/SUP](Royal) Dragoons
1863 1[SUP]st[/SUP] (Royal Dragoons
1864 – 2[SUP]nd [/SUP]Dragoons (Scots Greys) – explosion in arms store in March 1864
1864 – June to August – 16[SUP]th[/SUP] Lancers, then marched to Norwich
1865 – 13[SUP]th[/SUP] Hussars
1866 – 8[SUP]th[/SUP] Hussars
1867 – 8[SUP]th[/SUP] Hussars
1867-August 1868 - 15th Hussars
August 1868-August 1869 - 1st KDG
1871 (Jan) H Battery, B Brigade, Royal Horse Artillery
1872 (Jan) H Battery, B Brigade, Royal Horse Artillery
1873 (Jan) H Battery, B Brigade, Royal Horse Artillery
1875 (March) F Battery, 1st Brigade, Royal Artillery (Field)
1876 (March) F Battery, 1st Brigade, Royal Artillery (Field)
1880 5[SUP]th[/SUP] Dragoon Guards
1881 5[SUP]th[/SUP] Lancers (2 Troops) – reported at Great Brook Street 25 January 1881
1881 11[SUP]th[/SUP] Hussars (2 Troops)
1882 5[SUP]th[/SUP] Dragoon Guards (2 Troops) – 11[SUP]th[/SUP] Hussars arrived in August
1883 11[SUP]th[/SUP] Hussars (2 Troops) – reported as at barracks in May
1884 – 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] Dragoons Guards (2 Troops) – replaced by 4[SUP]th[/SUP] Hussars
1885 4[SUP]th[/SUP] Hussars
1886 15[SUP]th[/SUP] Hussars
1887 9[SUP]th[/SUP] Lancers
1888 – 13[SUP]th[/SUP] Hussars (from July?)
1889 – 13[SUP]th[/SUP] Hussars (2 Troops)
1889 (July) – Squadron of 9[SUP]th[/SUP] Lancers on duty for the visit of the Shah of Persia
1890 – 6[SUP]th[/SUP] Dragoon Guards (Carabiniers) (2 Troops)
1891 (August) – “H” and “K” Troops, 14[SUP]th[/SUP] Hussars – left on 30 June 1892. The troops became “D” Squadron on 1[SUP]st[/SUP] April 1892.
1892 12[SUP]th[/SUP] Lancers
1893-1894 – “C” Squadron, 17[SUP]th[/SUP] Lancers
1895 – (September) 8[SUP]th[/SUP] Hussars
1896 – 8[SUP]th[/SUP] Hussars left
1897 – Barracks Closed
1898 (October) – 92[SUP]nd[/SUP] Battery, Royal Artillery (Field) – formed this year
1899 (Jan) – 92[SUP]nd[/SUP] Battery, Royal Field Artillery – left to South Africa
1900 – 96[SUP]th[/SUP] Battery, Royal Field Artillery
1902 – 92[SUP]nd[/SUP] and 103[SUP]rd[/SUP] Batteries, Royal Field Artillery
1904 – 103[SUP]rd[/SUP] Battery, Royal Field Artillery
1906 – Barracks vacated by Regular Troops

I would be very interested to hear from anyone who can help me fill in the gaps or has similar research interests.

I think that the barracks were used as a transit camp as none of them stayed there for long. In Aris's Gazette in 1880 said that a detachment of the 17th Lancers were sent to Great Brook Street Barracks because "the drinking water was considered good for man and beast." Some of the soldiers must have lived there on a semi permanent basis as some of the tombstones from St James church were soldiers wives. One in particular was gave the name of the wife, her husband and gave some of the places she had been stationed with him.

Hi, newbie here researching 18th century barracks in England, of which Ashted/Great Brooke Street Barracks was an interesting example. There certainly is a link between the barracks' construction and the Priestly Riots, but it is not quite as straightforward as sometimes stated. The officer who commanded the troops which quelled the riots was one Col. Oliver De Lancey. He was later used to compile a report into the reliability of troops sent to quell public disorder, given that the miscreants were generally drawn from the same classes as the soldiers. The government was concerned that, in the light of the French Revolution, rioting could lead to a wider uprising if left unchecked. De Lancey concluded that the troops were mostly reliable, but it would be pertinent to separate them from the townsfolk by building barracks to accommodate them - previously they had been housed in licenced premises. This would prevent the radicalisation of the troops. He was then dispatched with orders to hastily build cavalry barracks at Sheffield, Nottingham, Birmingham and Manchester, which were the first inland barracks built outside London in England during the modern era and permanently changed military accommodation. Shortly afterwards, De Lancey was ordered to build barracks at Coventry, Norwich and Hounslow. These seven were known as the 'police barracks' in recognition of their role in 'policing' the population - they were always military establishments as the civilian police didn't exist in the modern sense at the time. De Lancey then went on to be the first Barrack Master General and created the Barrack Department, which was soon fully employed in creating accommodation for an army which grew to unprecedented size during the Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars.

TNA, HO 42-20, fol 527.jpg
TNA, HO 42/20, fol 527

Here's a section of De Lancey's original sketch proposal for Ashted Barracks.

It looks like there were a few images on this thread which I would find quite useful, but I can't see them. Anyone know why they're not showing up for me? Also, and this is a real long shot, does anyone know of any tunnels reputed to have existed in this area in the late 18th century?

Have replaced picture in post 16. Bielby's book is on the internet in either the internet archive or Guttenberg. There have also been these two photos. Not sure whether they were also from this thread, but they are below:

cavalry_barracks_gt_brook_st.jpg

cavalry_barracks_gt_brook_stA.jpg

we lived right opposite the church and baarracks but i was born in 1929 so was under the church when it was bombed i dont remember the barracks but do remember them building the flats

this is definatley the back of the barracks you can see the church steeple on the right of this picture and windsor street school on the left and great brook street would have run straught across the top

One of the best photos of the Great Brook Street Barracks that I have seen with a good view of St James Church as well.

Attachments

• Nechells Great Brook St  Barracks.JPG
    Nechells Great Brook St Barracks.JPG
    147.3 KB · Views: 69
jjj.3679.abc.com

From what you say in your post, you obviously lived on the Ashcroft Estate that once was the site of the Barracks. We often got kicked out of the communal areas of the estate when we tired of playing in the old bombed out church and cemetery as kids.

Attachments

• Nechells Ashcroft Estate 1.jpg
    Nechells Ashcroft Estate 1.jpg
    266 KB · Views: 62
  • Nechells Ashcroft Estate 2.jpg
    Nechells Ashcroft Estate 2.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 65
  • Nechells Ashcroft Estate 3.jpg
    Nechells Ashcroft Estate 3.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 62
BobG

The barracks on Washwood Heath Rd were close to Bennett Rd I think they still have a ACF unit on the some of the land. There was also a barracks on Alum Rock Rd just up from where Southalls used to be, it was on the site of Fen Bank Farm and the old Farmhouse remained there throughout the life of the barracks.

Back