• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Granville Street Ladywood

If the building is at 82 Granville Street,
in 1949 it is listed as

70-82 ...Donovan Electrical Co. electric control gear mfrs.

Not sure when they ceased manufacturing at Granville Street (still listed in Kellys 1969) but I saw a great many Donovan products in use, switch's, isolates and controls, over the years I worked in maintenance, should add it was mostly replacing them for more modern products.

Colin
I was working at Donovan Electrical in 1969, assembling large control panels, adding fuses, isolators etc. I remember Mr Donovan well. Great job with some great people!

I worked at Donovans at Northcote Rd (not Albert Rd) as an apprentice between 1971-74, - I'm pretty sure they were taken over by Thorn EMI & moved to Bedford at that time (74), as I chose redundancy rather than relocate as a teenager.
Yes it was Northcote Road. I was there from 1969 - 1972 and only left to start a family

Thanks, any idea what was on that site before they built that eyesore
Yes Penns I remember an office block or distrubution outlet about 4 or so floors , prior to it's demolition we as kids got caught by a policeman throwing stones to smash the windows .We thought we'd save the demoliton men some time .

Back