• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Grandad Smiths war records

the smiths

master brummie
William Smith born 1893 in Romsley this is my grandad would some kind soul
do a look up for me. I know he was in the first world war but have no idea of what regiment he was in or anything else relating to his war records.
Have posted on Ancestry but as yet have had no reply.

Regards...........

That's a big ask. There will be thousands of blokes named William Smith. To shorten the odds of finding him, did he live in Birmingham at the time of the Great War? If so, we can look him up on the absent voters list, but we will need at least a district, if not a street name. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Barrie.

Hello Barrie and thankyou for reply.

Grampy as we called him was born in Illey Worcestershire.

His address in 1911 was The Poplars Romsley Nr Halesowen.

hello all had a look on ancestry uk but as barrie said almost an impossible task with out more info, even then many 1st ww service records were lost through bombing in ww2
i found your grandfathers 1911 census record,i don,t know if you already have it but will post any way,good luck with your search,
mhe

Last edited by a moderator:

Sorry to say, the on-line Absent Voters List only covers Birmingham addresses, so that is a dead-end.

Barrie

hi the smiths...do you know if he had a middle name and what was his trade..oops sorry ive just noticed that his 1911 census has been posted..could be a difficult one for you...

lyn

Last edited:
There is a service record to his brother Edward Smith with an address at the Poplars, Romsley. He served with the 7th Battalion of the Worcestershire Regiment.

Hello I have since found out my grandad William Smith was in the Worcestershire Regiment service number 8832.

I have tried looking but to no avail thanks for any help you can give me with this.

Are you sure you have the correct service number I have found this record on FMP, but it states born Lambeth, London

Soldiers Died in the Great War 1914-1919
Name:
William SMITH
PRIVATE
Initials:
W
Birthplace:
Lambeth, London
Residence:
Lambeth
Enlisted:
Stratford, London
Regiment, Corps etc.:
Worcestershire Regiment
Battalion etc.:
2nd Battalion.

4.8.14 Aldershot: 5th Bde. 2nd Div. 14.8.14 landed at Boulogne. 20.12.15 to 100th Bde. 33rd Div. 11.11.18 100th Bde. 33rd Div. France; Petit Maubeuge, N.W. of Avesnes.
Number:
Date died:
31 October 1914
How died:
Killed in action
Theatre of war:
France & Flanders

bewdley

Hi Bewdley, Thank you for the look up but yes you must be right about the service number being wrong as all the details on this William Smith are wrong my Mother his daughter gave me this number also his brothers number which was 9453.

Regards......

Was William's brother's name Albert Charles Smith?

If so below is the record of his death - soldiers number is 9453 Worcester Regiment

bewdley

SMITH, Albert C
Worcestershire Regiment
Private
I.55
GRO War Death Army Other Ranks (1914 to 1921)

Name:
Unit:
Number:
Year:
Volume:
Page:
Record source:

Back