• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Graham St School

Shortie

master brummie
In 1861 there was a residential school in Graham Street in the Jewellery Quarter. Can anyone tell me what exactly it was please?

Thanks

Shortie

Hi Shortie: Could be this one........

GRAHAM STREET INFANT SCHOOL. Connected with Mount Zion Baptist Chapel. In existence 1850 in a building (presumably the Sunday sch.) erected 1821, with 60 I in attendance.(58) There was only a Sunday sch. here in 1830 (56) and the day sch. had disappeared by 1869.(10)

Hi Jennyann, thank you for looking. I am not sure, I understood it to be a residential school, a census check is needed.

Could this be it - The Protestent Dissenting Charity School - I think this was a residential School

Attachments

• school_12_june_1861.JPG
    school_12_june_1861.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 37
I've just found this old thread https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=16022 that refers to the Protestant Dissenting Charity School, Graham Street, All Saints, Birmingham. I think that it's possible that this is the school, Shortie. It's at 23 Graham St

According to the excellent site https://www.midlandspubs.co.uk/birmingham/ in the section on 1849:

Protestant Dissenting Charity School, Graham Street. This institution was founded in 1760, by the societies of the Old and New Meeting Houses. It was originally devoted to the maintenance and education of children of both sexes, but in 1813 was confined to girls, who are trained up in it under the care of a governess, for some respectable and beneficial service. The school was originally situated in Meeting Street, whence, in 1791, it was removed to a house in Park Street, and in 1840 to its present situation, which comprises a large substantial brick building, erected in 1839 for its use. The institution is supported entirely by voluntary contributions, consisting of donations and annual subscriptions, and collections made annually after sermons preached in behalf of the charity, at the two places of worship with whose religious societies it originated. The management of the institution is vested in the hands of the Governors for the time being; an annual subscription of one guinea entitling any person to be a Governor. A meeting of the Governors is held on the last Monday in January, for the election of the committee and officers of the school for that year. Children are chosen for admission at any period between nine and twelve years of age, by a plurality of votes of the Governors present at the annual general meeting in January. The present number of girls is about 40, who are clothed, educated, and fitted for service. They are put out at the age of fifteen; their number is not limited.

That's great Les. I really like this site as it contains so much historical information beyond the pubs of Brum.

Than you Polly and Les - I am sure that must be it. It certainly fits in with what I already know. Thank you so much.

Shortie

For completeness, in case anyone else has need of it in the future, I found this picture in "Lost Buildings of Birmingham" by Roy Thornton (Great book!)
dissenters school - graham street.jpg
The school was originally in Park Street, from 1791 to 1839 when the building in Graham Street was erected. The new building was designed by D R Hill. All the pupils were girls. School closed about the time of WW1

This may be of interest as it is an article from Birmingham Daily Post 29th January 1861

Attachments

• protestant_dissenting_charity_29_jan_1861_part_1.JPG
    protestant_dissenting_charity_29_jan_1861_part_1.JPG
    104.7 KB · Views: 39
  • protestant_dissenting_charity_29_jan_1861_part_2.JPG
    protestant_dissenting_charity_29_jan_1861_part_2.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 32
Here is another article from 1861 - 11th June

Attachments

• protestant_dissenting_charity_11_june_1861_part_1.JPG
    protestant_dissenting_charity_11_june_1861_part_1.JPG
    158.8 KB · Views: 24
  • protestant_dissenting_charity_11_june_1861_part_2.JPG
    protestant_dissenting_charity_11_june_1861_part_2.JPG
    190.9 KB · Views: 19
Polly, these are very interesting indeed. It does make the school sound rather a pleasant place to be, but I wonder if it was a home from home? I doubt it really. The reason this came up is that we have found a girl in there, which may be related to the family we are researching. Her father had died, and her mother had two small boys to look after. Happily, when the mother remarried, the girl went back home. It's amazing what you can learn on your travels down the family history road. Thank you for posting these Pollypops, a really good find.

From https://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=22984&strquery=Birmingham Schools
PROTESTANT DISSENTING CHARITY SCHOOL FOR GIRLS, Meeting Street (1760–1791); Park Street (1791–1839); Graham Street (1839). Established 1760 by the Unitarians of the Old and New Meeting Houses for the education and support of poor children of any religious denomination.(58) The children attended the Old and New Meeting Houses unless their parents preferred another church.(66) Supported by voluntary subscriptions; subscribers nominated children who never paid fees. The sch. was originally in Meeting St. In 1777 it contained 27 children, who were entirely maintained by it and apprenticed on leaving. It moved in 1791 to Park St.(68) From 1813 only G were admitted,(58) and the usual number from then until 1850 was about 40. In 1833 they were all 9–15 years old and there were a mistress and an assistant. (3) In 1837 the average time spent by pupils in the sch. was 3¼ yrs.(36) The children were by now regarded as being trained primarily for domestic service.(66) The sch. was moved 1839 to a new building in Graham St.(58) H.M.I. reported 1852 that it was a large and excellent building. There was a matron and a teacher. From now on the sch. was regarded as an asylum rather than a public elementary sch. and falls outside the scope of this list.(1)

A Graham Street School good conduct medal from 1850.

Screenshot_20240421_093657_Chrome.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240421_093704_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240421_093704_Chrome.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 1
Back