• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Gosta Green Through Duddeston

Ernie

Help me out with this one will you, the caption says 67 Lupin Street 1959. Would I be right in thinking that the gateway shown was in Francis st because as far as I can make out Lupin St and Francis St met and crossed at the bottom end.

I was just wondering if this was the scrap yard where I got caught one night liberating some old army belts and other various items of webbing that were being scrapped for the brass buckles.

Phil

NechellsLupinStreetNo67ScrapYard1959.jpg

Hi True Blue
I saw this and wondered if we have connection here I have been looking for so long for some Birmingham ham Westons and I wonder if you can help me . My Grans half sisters and Brothers Mary, Joe, Gerty, Nellie(Ellen),Sam, lucy , and Joan born 1913 to1928 . They were children of Joseph Weston born in 1880 .
There is a tale in the family that we had a bare fist fighter they called Chaney Weston who was a champion. I am sure some where there is a connection
Electoral rolls for 5, court 10, Vaughton Street give :
1920, Weston, Joseph and Weston, Annie Florence:
1925 and 1930, Weston, Joseph and Weston, Annie Louisa Florence:
It makes you wonder . Its just on the offch
Best wishes Jean
Hi Jean, im sorry but i dont think theres any connection that i can think of, Charles Weston, Mary Anns husband,was born in Birmingham in 1870 ish (censuses vary) and his father, Josiah Weston was also born in Birmingham in 1842, and he worked in the gun trade. Josiah's father was Henry Weston born also in Birmingham in 1814.
Charles Weston and Mary Ann (maiden name Harris) did have a son called Joseph, who i had completely forgotten about, but he was born in 1901. Their other children were Sarah Ann, born 1894, Lily, born 1913, and Minnie, born in 1918, and Mary Ann, cant remember her birth year offhand. If you think there might be a connection and need more info just ask .bye

I wondered how good this DVD is now I might get it. I have the Heritage Media media Birmingham The Way We Were which is good but was a nightmare to get delivered.

I saw this DVD on sale at the National Trust reburbished back to backs near the Hippodrome when I visited there 3 or 4 years ago. You could give them a ring on 0121 622-2442

Can anyone supply a trade directory list for shopkeepers and businesses in Great Lister Street. I seem to have mislaid the ones I had. Around the date of 1950.
Thank you so much for any help given.

MIKEJEE, Thank you so much for Kelly's List, now I can relate to what parts of Great Lister Street some of those shops were. Thank you so much for the prompt reply.

Is it possible to add the Kelly's list attachment to a CD I have the Photographs on ? Anyone know how ?
Sorry if I am a bit off thread.

Have printed out page and scanned it as a jpg file, so you should be able to just put it on you CD as a photo
As it is quite a large file, i will delete it after you have copied it to save space on the forum server.
mike

MIKEJEE. Thank you so much once again for your help, I have copied it to CD. I had thought of trying to email it to myself and then try to save and copy but don't need to try that now.

I was looking through this thread the other day with a view to replacing photos that I had posted that unfortunately have been lost due to circumstances beyond anyones control. But I fear it might be too much of a job for me matching some of the photos with some of my posts.

Then there are so many of them, I had to go back to post 54 back on the 13th of January 2008 before I could find a photo that remains. I think I am probably looking at somewhere in the region of at least 100 photos I need to repost.

I think it must be down to the members who have posted to this thread and enjoyed it so much, as is apparent by the responses that are recorded here.

If you say that you want it then I will try, if its at all possible and Postie doesn't mind me trying.

Phil

I have not posted photo's but have some pictures associated with a post or two and if there is a demand and as you say Postie does not mind I will edit them and remove a detail or two which over time has turned out not to be correct.

Take a look at this photo i,m puzzled the St on the left is i believe is Chickerly St if so the building on the corner appears to be a pub. The pubs i remember on the Vauxhall Rd were The Adelaide,the Lamp ( which was empty)The Globe and the White Tower. have i forgotten one?Dek

The map shows that there was once a pub on the corner. It was at no 82 vauxhall road. Kellys and the 1901 census are not much help, but the electoral roll for 1925 lists it as The Hope & Anchor. By 1939 it is still listed as a beer retailer in kellys, but by then they add (off) meaning off sales only, so it is not surprising that you cannot remember the pub
mike

Thanks Mikejee i Thought i knew the pubs on Vauxhall Rd i think the building was still there but had another use.maybe an outdoor. Dek

This may be at a slightly different angle to a previous photograph that was posted. Another from Carl Chinn's "Brummagem" Great Lister Street with Saint Matthews Church on the left.

Ah yes Ernie i lived in Scholefield st for a bit with me mate Brian Harris (had a fall out with me step dad)most of my childhood was spent in Erskine St Your location say Coleman st although it must have long gone when you were young it got renamed i believe to Lupin St. Dek

Hello Dek, Off the top of my head I had a feeling that Coleman Street or the part near Windsor Street changed to Kellet Road, Flats were built along Henry Street which covered the area that was that end of Coleman Street.

Great job Kev you can just make out a tree in the grave yard of st Mathews church (i think) that was the only place that had trees. Dek

Thanks dek.
I used to live in Taylor St, have seen only 2 photos, one with a mobile shop which was parked opposite our old entry which is out of view, and a Hyland Crowe Shop on the corner of Bloomsbury St and Taylor St. I remember going past that shop a lot as a child.

Back