• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Gosta Green Through Duddeston

GER22VAN.up and down that st clements hill fetching coke all day for a few bob. seen it got the tee shirt.

Dunlop bought a fleet of them three wheel scammel (things) i can remember them in the 50s, in rupert st crossing over ave rd

Last edited:
GER22VAN- Re people using jam jars for drinks. I heard from my Mother about this and also from a friend of mine. At some shops you could take the jam jars back to them and they would give you 2d. This family used to take three at a time and then go and buy a cheap cut of meat to feed the family. There were so many families in dire straits and they did the best they could without
help from anyone.

In a contemporary vein on the same subject...jam jars. I recently went to a bar locally and they were serving drinks in a modern version of a jam jar ...compressed glass with a logo. The youngsters just love it but they have no idea what the connection is i.e. poverty. The Depression in the l930's in North America was so dreadful and there was so much dire poverty. The jam jar
background here would have come from that time I imagine.

Buttering the bread.

Another thing I remember from years ago was to spread the butter on the loaf of bread then cut a slice from it. I had forgotten about it until I happen to see a Photograph which reminded me of all these years ago. Such little things but it helps to bring the past alive again. We had never done it but I had seen it done.

re butter on bread

GER22VAN.My mom did that,put butter on first, she said it dont break up then.I did not use jam jars, but i used sauce bottles for a penny bottle of red liquid they called pop. (penny vantos) yuk.

What a prank.

Peter. It was a way of life, nothing wrong at all with that.
On a different subject there was a pub called the " Rising Sun " in Windsor Street, we knew it as the "Sun". To get to the mens toilet was an open narrow passage with a wooden fence on one side. Now one of the pranks was that someone found that the other side of the fence were stacked the crates of empty beer bottles. Well I only did the prank once, reach over and get an empty beer bottle, take it around to the "Outdoor" and get the deposit off it, about tuppence.

re gosta green

GER22VAN.Hello please tell were lupin st was i can not remember

Last edited by a moderator:
Lupin Street.

Peter, Lupin Street was in the district of Duddeston.
Lupin Street began at Henry Street it crossed through Willis Street then Godwin Street then ran passed Francis Street until it came to Bloomsbury Street where it ended opposite Loxton Street. This last part is where I believe the Photograph was taken.

Claverdon Street ???

pmc1947.I have looked for Claverdon Street and cannot find it in any of the three AZ of Birmingham that I have. Things seem to get more intriguing by the minute.

pcm1947.Thats great, it has cleared that up, but it still seems a way off from Lupin Street so if it is anything to go by the side street is not what I thought it may be.

My three AZ seem to show that redevelopment had already started so I wonder if that is why I cannot find Claverdon Street in the index.

Claverdon St Birmingham 7

Its in my Birmingham & West Midlands Street By Street its in B'ham 7.

Ernie, I think I may have worked it out, with the help of another photo.
I think your photo was taken from outside the Turks Head . And I think this photo could have been taken from roughly where stood Lodge Tyre Co.

Phil

Nechells Great Lister St - Bloomsbury St - Turks Head.jpg

Last edited:
I am still a little puzzled, the trade list appears to be in the Hyde Park Corner area. I cannot see it on the list ( not that it matters ) I think it was the " Turk's Head that stood at the fork of Bloomsbury Street and Saltley Road.
Claverdon Street had probably disappeared by the time I started going to Loxton Street School and the first high rise tower block had started going up in the area. I can remember the bank at the corner of Great Lister Street and Bloomsbury Street, Oliver Street had a little Fish and Chip shop near its corner and on the other corner was a large clothes shop,
Foster Brothers where I bought my first suit from when I was about 7 or 8 with the money I saved from selling bundles of firewood,
short trousers of coarse.

Ernie,
This is how I see it,
1. Lodge Tyre Co.
2. The Turks Head
3. Foster Bros.
I think if I remember correctly the bottom end of Bloomsbury St from the Junction PH down to Great Lister street was the first to be redeveloped. And they stuck those big brick built tower blocks up.
(Sorry the map is a bit blurred, but its a bit over enlarged)

Phil

Map East Birmingham 1885.jpg

Last edited:
Further up Bloomsbury Street at High Park Corner, I remember I used to use the El Greco Greek cafe all the time about 62-63.
Phil

El Greco Cafe Bloomsbury St 1964.jpg

Last edited:
Re Gosta Green

As much as i liked nechells, i like living in aston,phillip st there was more intresting places to explore as a child.I left england 2002.
but regret it now. pete

Claverdon Street

Ernie, I found this looking through my collection, It may help to bring a picture of Claverdon St back to mind. It is The Railway Inn on the corner of Claverdon St and Great Francis St. I'm just trying to sort one for High Park Corner further up Bloomsbury St.

Phil

Nechells Great Francis St- Claredon St The Railway Inn.jpg

Last edited:
Great Francis Street.

pmc1947. Phil I still cannot remember that area, I was not obviously getting around that area I am sorry to say. The only part of Great Francis Street that I remember is Loxton Street with the school and just around the corner was a shop that rented out accumulators which I used to fetch for my Gran's Battery powered Cossor Wireless as it was called in those days, across the road was another shop that sold purpose made pea shooters, they did'nt last very long because they were made of glass. There was a pub up that way facing Duddeston Mill Road I think but I cannot remember the name of it.
It's a lovely photo once again and I see it was taken during the 2nd World War.

High Park Corner

Ernie & Peter

Heres a couple of pic's of the top end of Bloomsbury St at its junction with High Park St and Nechells Park Rd.

Phil

Nechells High Park Corner (3).JPG Nechells High Park St Wimbush's .jpg

Last edited:
re gosta green

pcn1947. phill i remember the chippy on nechells green.mrs fry, my brother used to call her mrs fly

Last edited:
I thought the sign on the first photo very amusing " I.Docter" for an opticians. very good for those days.

Phil

Last edited:
re gosta green

GER22VAN. ERNIE. i think the shop in aderley rd are the ones op duddeston mill rd. to the left,as you go up ash rd.

Last edited:
PETER. Thank you, the reason I asked was my Grandfather lived in that area,
it would be lovely to know those house numbers if the shop number could be picked up on a Trade Directory.
I have just seen your other post. Yes it did come out OK. Thank You.

Re Gosta Green

GER22VAN.my pops worked down by them shops, along the canel tow path,by the bridge in duddeston mill rd jnk adderley rd.i dont know the house numbers sorry ernie.

Ernie you will know where this is, won't you? Its about 1955.

Phil

Nechells Rupert St 1955.jpg

Last edited:
pmc1947. Phil Yes it's Rupert Street looking towards Great Lister Street, I was going to try to post it myself but yours is a better quality to what I have.
I will meet you at the other end of Rupert Street from here.
]

Phill liked your photo of Rupert St, could,nt help seeing the co.op milk float
my aunty dora (dora bluck) lived in cromwell street
as we did. regards derek.:)

Gosta Green area

Hello. I loved all the photos on this thread. Don't know the roads myself but my family lived in many of the roads shown. I have printed them off to put in my 'family history folder'. Thanks for taking the trouble to put them on. Best wishes. Eileen

I don't know if this one has been on before, but I can't see you in the queue.
Windsor St Gasworks.

Phil

Nechells Windsor St Gas Works (2).jpg

Last edited:
Back