• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Gospel Oak, Acocks Green

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello again ormsby, I have been looking for some photos and I found these three out. One is the BSA team so I doubt they would have played at the G. Oak. The other two could be The Maggies, The Red Lion in Acocks Green or the Gospel. I hope you recognise someone.

stitcher, sorry i don't recognise anyone but by the sort of trees in the background of the 3rd bows photo i would say it was the maggies

would they have a son called nobby groves, he had a bit of a gang then. i lived in oakhurst by the shops
chinnychin

Hi Stitcher, Larry Barclay got killed many years o go he fell off a roof whilst working I new Nobby Groves and remember his mom she used to walk to the markets in town with her pram to get the flowers and walk back'I also remember Terry Miller he lived in Broomhall Cresent, my brother Brian Onions also worked in that chippy he worked out the back loading the spuds into the peeling machine and then getting all the eyes out by hand. I heard afew years ago that Nobby Groves had become a tramp. I used to use the Gospel nearly every night I lived in Overton Grove I believe where the Gospel used to stand is now a supermarket. I met my wife in the Gospel in the early sixtys happy days.

hi johnio, i knew your brother brian and was friends with david morton who lived near you. knew nobby groves, did you know the mathews family in the gospel oak

Hi
Did Larry Barclay go to Pitmaston Rd school???? if so i played football for South Bham Schools in 1951.Ihave infront of me a character drawing of some of the team that played against Brieley Hill at the old Moor Green ground in 1951 Both he and myself are on it. It is from the old Sports Argus and was done by Len Pardoe in the dressing room before the match

Hi Stitcher, my brother is still alive he had a stroke just before Xmas but he has recovered quit well and is now living with his daughter, I remember David, Jimmy and Micky Morton I was big mates with Micky and used to go to school with him, I also used to go to school with Stan Mathews ( not the footballer ) and knew him well, up until my brother had his stroke he used to see Dot Larvin and Charlie Daniels who she was married to where about did you live. I have only recently got on this site but it is great to read all the old memories of the Gospel in those days it was a good pub.

Chinnychin did you live next door to the paper shop in oakhurst nearly opposite the park entrance. johhnieo

If you look up BIRMINGHAMSCHOOLS FOOTBALL HISTORY/PHOTOS,and look at posts 171/172 you can view the Argus feature. Also on it is John Hill another from Pitmaston Rd school, some one may remember him from the area.

yes i did, david morton was a friend of mine and i knew brian onions.i knew some of the people up by you but the old memory is not as good as it was, do these names mean anything.johny and david russon,algy mccoy,brian robinson(rabbit)ray eckles.. i knew terry miller too,nearly killed me on when i was on the back of his motor bike

yes i did, david morton was a friend of mine and i knew brian onions.i knew some of the people up by you but the old memory is not as good as it was, do these names mean anything.johny and david russon,algy mccoy,brian robinson(rabbit)ray eckles.. i knew terry miller too,nearly killed me on when i was on the back of his motor bike
Yes I did know some of the names you mention, Johny and david Russon lived just round the corner from Overton Rd in oakhurst rd I knew Alan Mccoy He lived in Overton Rd on the corner of Chisolm Grove and of Course Ray Eccles (legs). I believe David Morton still lives on the corner of Ormsby Grove but my brother saw him not long ago and he is not in the best of health. You must have been a brave kid to on the back of Terry Miller he was a mad sod, I have just been talking to my brother and he told me That Terry Miller went to work in South Africa I think and he got killed in a works accident there how true this is I don't know

Hi paulebo I knew nearly all the familys you mention I used to go to school with Stan Mathews and I remember Henry Hall the gaffer of the Gospel most of the bar staff were family members do you recall Tommy Wright used to collect the glasses, who was your dad I probebly knew him. I believe Nobby Groves is now dead. As you say good old days.

yes terry miller was a mad sod, we were going along shirley road and came to the big island at greenwood avenue intending to go strait on to acocks green buut tot he had to lean so far over to make it that the footrest caught the gutter and we shot up greenwood avenue,, but to give him his due he kept us on the road but that was the last time i ever went on a bike.it was a J.A.P
david was in my class at one time.did you know charlie winn and jimmy thomas and roy court

larry biddle had quite a rep as a scrapper as did larry barclay,they used to say it took larry 3 years to do his 2 years national service

Yes Chinny Larry and Lenny were both hard nuts so was their father who I think was also called Larry they also had a sister named Joyce she a was a pal of my sister. The biddles used to rent out the old farm house that used to be where the club is on what we used to call the donky hollows they were into every thing I remember they used to have and old Diamond T lorry I think it was an old American war lorry. I Have a photo taken in the big room of the Gospel with some of the lads you might reconize but being a newbie I don't know whether it is appropriate to post it can you advise please. If you go onto the Severne rd school forum I have posted a photo of the school football team of about 1954 (more by luck than judgement)

Sorry Chinny I am getting ahead of myself the name Charlie Winn rings a bell but I can't place the face i knew Jimmy Thomas very well a big mate of my brother , also Roy Court I also knew his younger brother I think his name was Micky they lived in Chisolm Grove the last time I met Roy was in about 1980 I was doing some contract work in British Leyland Drews Lane and he worked in the drawing office

Guys, I'm closing this thread for discussion by the moderating team, may I suggest you continue your conversation, which has references to living persons, off forum using private messages or e-mails.

Colin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back