• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Gosney Arthur

dznee

knowlegable brummie
Could anybody kindly look on find my past, for him attending the quarter sessions in Yorkshire in 1894.
He was born 1867, a boiler maker, had a wife Frances and 2 kids.
In 1901 he changed the childrens first names and by 1911 all their surnames were changed to Fells.
I'm thinking he may have a police record or be running away from something.
He lived in yorkshire and london.
Thank you

Hi Dznee,

On 12th July 1894 he certainly appeared in Sheffield Quarter Sessions, but as a victim! Thomas Wilson alias James Brown, a 61 year old shoemaker with previous convictions, was accused of stealing various items from Frances Gosney, but Wilson was found Not Guilty. There is no newspaper report of this case, probably due to the Not Guilty verdict, and therefore, on the face of it, no reason to suspect that Arthur Gosney was running away from anything or anybody

As I understand it, you cannot legally change your first names, only your surname, but I stand to be corrected on this. Are you quite sure this is what happened?

Maurice

Thank you Maurice, for looking that up.

In 1891, Leeds, was Arthur Gosney, 24 yrs, boiler maker
Frances, wife 26 yrs and Tom 6 months

In 1901, london, Arthur Gosney, 34 yrs, boiler maker
Francis, 36 yrs and John 10 yrs and Eliza 3 yrs
The children should be Tom and Elsie

In 1911, Yorkshire, Arthur FELLS, 43 yrs, boiler maker
Frances, 45 yrs, and Thomas, 20 yrs and Elsie, 12 yrs

Someone on here found the name changes, but I cannot find out why, I was sort of hoping that he was running from the law and there would be a mug shot. lol

I was the one who found the earlier info. for you.
The possibilities that come to mind, first of all many of our members searching for family have found that on occasions they changed their names, often because they were escaping from their landlord.
The second is the names of the children often misheard by the enumerator especially if the family was a long way from home and had a broad accent.
Elsie Ann Gosney born April/May/June quarter 1898 registered ST Olave (Rotherhithe)
Elsie Ann Fells m Bertie w Bradbury 1917 Aston
Elsie Ann Bradbury b 29th April 1898 died 1989 Birmingham

Yes, that agrees with what I found myself. But strange that the children's names should change before the family surname changes - I can't see any logic there at all.

Maurice

Hello Alberta, I still can't believe you found them after the scant information I gave. I spent hours, days, weeks, tying to find them.
I wish I could do something in return, though I have got the names and addresses of all children buried at key hill cemetery who died from whooping cough.

That's a good point about escaping from a landlord and I suppose the most common reason when you think about it.
Thanks again for your help
Anne

Back