• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Goodway Road Great Barr Birmngham

hi carolann what year are you looking for because goodway road is still there...

lyn

hi carolann what year are you looking for because goodway road is still there...

lyn

Hi Lyn yes I know I live there but I was told there was a photo on the forum of Goodway Road the way it use to be ,but I
cant find it I don't know what year though

right i see carolann...if i find any older ones i will post them for you...

lyn

Here you are Carolann. Looking in the direction of Birdbrook, Kinstanding Road behind the photographer. Not dramatically changed. A few more trees line the road today. Viv.
image.jpeg

Very interesting photo of a road I used walk up as a child on the way to my Grandparents in Perry Common. I notice the road, footpaths, and grass verges had not yet been finished when that photo was taken. Looks like some sort of advertising hoarding in Courtney Road ... perhaps for the builders of the houses.

Must have been a photo of when Goodway was first built then Phil. My guess it's about inter-war period judging by the style and the Crittall windows, very popular in house-building at that time, but they were cold and the frames rusted and rotted due to condensation. I like the variation in house styles as you move along the road. Viv.

Hi Viv, I used Google's Reverse Image look-up to find a source and it is a post card with a pic apparently dated 1937. The card is sent to an address in Chard Somerset and has a message on it's reverse, and it seems strange that there would be a post card showing that road.
In the Great Barr and Kingstanding areas, private house builders carried out massive house building projects in the inter-war years ranging from the area west of the Walsall Rd, the Beeches Estate, Pheasey Estate, and some areas of Kingstanding. I know that the builder of the Beeches and Pheasey Estates was Henry Boot Ltd and all the houses were for rent and have a similar style. I don't know at present who built the houses in the Goodway Rd area and surroundings but there were significant inter-war house building programs covering the fields around Birmingham.

Getting back to Goodway Rd I remember cycling down it was easy, no pedalling needed, but cycling up was a long hard drag !
Phil

Here you are Carolann. Looking in the direction of Birdbrook, Kinstanding Road behind the photographer. Not dramatically changed. A few more trees line the road today. Viv.
View attachment 106958

Great photo. I walked up and down Goodway many many times on my way from Birdbrook Road to Kingstanding to catch the bus to work. Must have had strong calves in those days, even going to school was an uphill slog up Dyas.

I lived in Birdbrook Road, 212, from 1955 until 1964. from 60 to 64 I worked at Brooklyn Garage, didn't have to trek up Dyas Road but my wife did, she worked at Applebys in Aston at the time.

I lived at 150 Birdbrook opposite the Off licence, grocery stores and chip shop. Lived there from 1956 to 1968. So many of the roads from Birdbrook seemed to be uphill although in my younger days I did not notice them. I used to go to the youth clubs at the bottom of Birdbrook. Great memories of dancing to the current records and meeting up with everyone. I enjoyed growing up in Great Barr good place for access to Brum etc., on a fantastic bus route.

Back