• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Goodchild Family in Birmingham

P

Paul Goodchild

Hello,

Does anyone have an interest in the Goodchild family in Birmingham?

James Goodchild was born in Suffolk in 1829 and moved to Birmingham, where he worked on the railways, in the 1850s with his wife Ann. They seem to have lived mostly in the Aston and Balsall Heath areas and had 11 children who all seem to have survived and married:

Catharine (b 1851)
Joseph (b 1851)
George (b 1853)
Samuel (1854)
James (b 1857)
Alfred (b 1860)
Eliza Jane (b 1863)
William (b 1865)
Walter (b 1868)
Charles (b 1870 - my great-grandfather)
Ernest (b 1873)

I've traced 47 of James and Ann's grandchildren so far. If you're related to one of them, please do get in touch.

Paul Goodchild

My father William Albert was born in Birmingham in 1914 and my grandad was born on Chrismas Day 1890 and was called William. He had 6 sisters but was the only son and ran a hardware shop in Sun Street. His father, my great-grandad, was born in Birmingham in 1865 (by age in census) and was called William also. He married Elizabeth GOODMAN in 1885 and was a brass polisher. I would like to go back at least one more generation, if possible, to see if the family name of William is still in use over 5 generations since my father called me just William. The story is that it was the only name he could remember when he went to register my birth in 1945 and met some fellow soldiers!!! I was supposed to be Anthony Trevor but I am quite please that he got drunk. I have passed the family name to my son also.
Any help would be appreciated and any members of branches of the Goodchild family, get in touch.
Bill

Hi Paul
I have just joined this forum and have posted a thread about my great-grandad William Goodchild who was born in Birmingham in 1865 (estimated from census details) so we may be related!!
I have some information on my grandad William Goodchild (b1890) and my father William Albert (b1914) and, for my sins, I was named William in 1945.
My grandad had 6 sisters but only he carried the family name forward.
Cheers Bill

hello all, i dont know if this of any revelance, but i knew a Barry Goodchild who used to live in Holloway Head by St Thomas's churchyard in the early 60's.

shardeen

Hi goodchild, i assume this is your family in 1891 Census --

Name:William Goodchild
Estimated birth year:abt 1865
Relation:Head
Spouse's name: Elizabeth
Where born: Birmingham
Civil parish: Birmingham
Ecclesiastical parish: All Saints
Town:Birmingham
County/Island: Warwickshire
Street Address: 47 Ct, 3 hse, Hingeston St
Registration district:Birmingham
Sub-registration district:All Saints
ED, institution, or vessel:14
Household Members:NameAge
William Goodchild26 All born B,ham
Elizabeth Goodchild24
Annie Goodchild5
Lucy Goodchild3
Sarah A Goodchild2
William Goodchild3/12

bren

There is this birth --

William Goodchild 3rd qtr 1864 Aston 6d 249

There was another one but that was 3yrs later and had James as a middle name.

bren

This could be him in 1871 --

Name:William Goodchild
Estimated birth year: abt 1865
Relation: Son
Father's Name: James
Mother's Name: Ann
Where born: Birmingham, Warwickshire, England
Civil parish: Aston
Town: Deritend
County/Island:Warwickshire
Registration district: Aston
Sub-registration district: Deritend
ED, institution, or vessel:9
Household schedule number:233
Household Members:NameAge
James Goodchild
42 Caster born Suffolk
Ann Goodchild
42 Weaver, Attleborough, Warwickshire, ??
Catherine Goodchild
20 All born Birmingham except Alfred
Joseph Goodchild
George Goodchild
Samuel Goodchild
James Goodchild
Alfred Goodchild
11 Attleborough, Warwickshire, ??
Jane Goodchild
William Goodchild
Walter Goodchild
Charles Goodchild

Living 82 Lombard St, here is marriage of William, if you sent for this it would confirm fathers name

William Goodchild/Elizabeth Goodman 4th qtr 1885 Birmingham 6d 130

bren

Last edited:
Thanks Bren for all the detailed information about the family of my great great grandad in Birmingham from 1871 census. It appears that they had 10 children in 1871 but another son Ernest appears later born in 1873. With 9 sons there is a lot of work investigating the family name going forward from 1871. Alfred being born in Norfolk may relate to the fact that James was born in Suffolk and I do not know where Ann was born. It appears that great-great-grandad moved from Suffolk to work on the railways in Birmingham. Still a lot of detective work to Do
Cheers Bill

Alfred being born in Norfolk may relate to the fact that James was born in Suffolk and I do not know where Ann was born. Cheers Bill

It seems to me that Ann, his mother, was back at her birth place when she had Alfred

bren

Hi Bill

On that 1871 Census you will find Catherine and Joseph have the same age given, looked at the births but could only find these --

Ann Catherine Goodchild 1st qtr 1851 Birmingham 16 423
Elizabeth Goodchild 1st qtr 1851 Birmingham 16 423

I suspect the birth record has been mis-transcribed as on the census image it is clearly Joseph.

George Goodchild 2nd qtr 1852 Aston 6d 230
Samuel Goodchild 1st qtr 1854 Aston 6d 233
James Goodchild 2nd qtr 1856 Aston 6d 242

bren

Bill, been doing a bit of searching, there was and still is a place called Attleborough in Warwickshire, it is an ancient hamlet by Nuneaton, have found this --

Alfred Goodchild 3rd qtr 1859 Nuneaton 6d 324

bren

Have been looking for the marriage of James and Ann, i think i may have found it but

[SIZE=+1]Marriages Dec 1849 [/SIZE]
Buckler Elizabeth Nuneaton 16 695
Daft Joseph Nuneaton 16 695
Eglishaw Elizabeth Nuneaton 16 695
Goodchild Jane Nuneaton 16 695
Hextall Hannah Nuneaton 16 695
Kinder Ann Nuneaton 16 695
LAWRANCE Mary Meriden 16 695
Smith Joseph Nuneaton 16 695
Wilson John Nuneaton 16 695

List taken as is from register, Mary Lawrance in completely the wrong place leaving 5 females and 3 males, has James been, again, mis-transcribed as Jane and he married Ann Kinder. Would like to know what others think as this links nicely with the birth i posted for Alfred

bren

Births --

Eliza Jane Goodchild 3rd qtr 1862 Aston 6d 222
William Goodchild 3rd qtr 1864 Aston 6d 249
Walter Goodchild 3rd qtr 1867 Aston 6d 254
Charles Goodchild 1st qtr 1870 Aston 6d 267

If you sent for one of the childrens birth certificates it would confirm mothers maiden name, ie, correct marriage

bren

Hello Bill,

I haven't logged on to this site for a while. Sorry for the delay in replying.

I have your grandfather William Goodchild born c 1891 in my family tree. He's the son of William Goodchild born c 1864 and the grandson of James Goodchild and his wife Ann Kinder. That makes James and Ann your great-great-grandparents, as they are mine, and makes us third cousins.

James was born in Bruisyard, Suffolk in about 1829 and died in Birmingham on 19 May 1879. His parents were John Goodchild (born c 1811 in Suffolk. I've never managed to trace a death record but I know he was still alive in 1848) and Ann Whiting (born Kelsale, Suffolk 4 October 1804, died Bruisyard 12 October 1884). John and Ann were married at Friston, Suffolk on 28 October 1828.

Ann Kinder was born in Attleborough, Warwickshire (not Norfolk) in about 1829 and died in Birmingham on 29 April 1903. She was the daughter of Samuel Kinder (born 10 December 1802 at Bedworth, died 9 June 1886 at Attleborough where his gravestone can be seen in the churchyard) and his wife Catharine Killingworth (1804 to 1854 I think).

James and Ann were married at St Nicholas's church, Nuneaton on 14 October 1849.

I've sent you a PM with my e-mail address.

Paul

Back