• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Good family of Edward Street Ladywood

Certainly looks like that’s him. You can’t help wonder how much his experience as a POW changed him. In the photo he looks so young, presumably married young too. I don’t think it could ever be fully imagined the dreadful toll war experiences had on serving men and women. Thanks Janice. Viv.

looks like him to me jan and he was a prisoner at stalag....dreadful places...i do hope his life turned out ok but 2 and half years as a pow must have taken its toll mentally

Possibly Radnor Road in 1939.

And if it's him he was possibly South African. There is a marriage for him to an Andrey Eleanor Stanley in Johannesburg in 1938 and an arrival for them at Southampton in 1939.

Possibly Radnor Road in 1939.

And if it's him he was possibly South African. There is a marriage for him to an Andrey Eleanor Stanley in Johannesburg in 1938 and an arrival for them at Southampton in 1939.
if that is correct mark then his sister in law must have come to birmingham as well..oh is the marriage for A C GOOD..

lyn

Last edited:
If it is them (Arthur C and Audrey) then the immigration address is
c/o 20 Charlotte Road Edgbaston and he is listed as a teacher. Wonder who lived there?

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
The people listedfor Radnor Road include a Mrs Rubenstein who is the name listed in 1940 Kelly's.The interesting bit for the 1939 reg are the notes in the side - the bit which doesn't show fully. The last entry is for Arthur C Good. I am wondering if this was the Salvation Army?? There is a 1920 sailing for an Arthur C Good with his parents and Father is listed as a minister.
1626967208153.png

i would agree jan...radnor road houses are a million miles away from edward street..not in distance but the radnor road house were very grand...my gardening teacher lived there and a couple of us girls was invited to tea at her house..

lyn

There are a number of seemingly unrelated people listed at the Radnor Road address though, so perhaps they just were renting a room.

As I said Mrs Rubenstein is tge one-step in 1940 Kelly's and based on the sort of things written there seems to be an "army" connection which is why I queried Salvation Army.
However, they are on the sailing list to SA in Nov 1939.

just looking at the photo again it says pte good is seen with his wife and sisters in law but looking closely i wonder who the very young child is in the framed photo..guess he/she could be anyone. just wondering they had any children not that that would help us..

I assumed that one was his wife and both the others were her sisters.
I didn't worry about photo as it could be anyone. Did wonder if they were at her parents' house - had she gone back home when he was captured? I thought her parents because of the sisters.

Back