• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Golden Hillock Road Six Ways Small Heath

El Tel

proper brummie kid
I was born in 103 Golden Hillock Road, Small Heath in 1950. Searching the forum, and the internet generally, I've never found a photo of the house taken before it was demolished in the late '60s or early '70s. Does anyone know of any photos taken in the '40s or '50s of the top end of the road at Six Ways, particularly of the house, the off-licence on the corner with Cooksey Road, or Fisher's garage?

To whet anyone out there's appetite, here's a the only known (to me) photo of 103 taken by my old man in 1953. My Grandmother and uncle Ted are in the bottom right corner. You should be able to view it almost full screen size.

At the time the photo was taken there were ten of us living in the house with the usual outside toilet and a zink bath in front of the fire on a Friday night. I'd like to add what wonderful memoies I have but unfortunately I didn't like the bath or the toilet......

Attachments

• 103 Golden Hillock.JPG
    103 Golden Hillock.JPG
    317.6 KB · Views: 43
I was born in 103 Golden Hillock Road, Small Heath in 1950. Searching the forum, and the internet generally, I've never found a photo of the house taken before it was demolished in the late '60s or early '70s. Does anyone know of any photos taken in the '40s or '50s of the top end of the road at Six Ways, particularly of the house, the off-licence on the corner with Cooksey Road, or Fisher's garage?

To whet anyone out there's appetite, here's a the only known (to me) photo of 103 taken by my old man in 1953. My Grandmother and uncle Ted are in the bottom right corner. You should be able to view it almost full screen size.

At the time the photo was taken there were ten of us living in the house with the usual outside toilet and a zink bath in front of the fire on a Friday night. I'd like to add what wonderful memoies I have but unfortunately I didn't like the bath or the toilet......
Ì

Hello,
Found this picture on an old Birmingham site.

Attachments

• 5CD6AAF4-3FC5-4970-A9A3-7FCC4AD555D9.jpeg
    5CD6AAF4-3FC5-4970-A9A3-7FCC4AD555D9.jpeg
    81.6 KB · Views: 38
Hi El Tel, Have you tried the small heath old pictures Facebook page there is quite a lot of info including pictures of Golden Hillock Rd. Regards.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-12-20_232633.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-12-20_232633.jpg
    584 KB · Views: 36
  • Screenshot_2022-11-03_235053.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-11-03_235053.jpg
    692.9 KB · Views: 37
  • Screenshot_2022-11-01_212435.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-11-01_212435.jpg
    617.1 KB · Views: 37
  • Screenshot_2022-10-10_172836.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-10-10_172836.jpg
    682.5 KB · Views: 37
Hello,
Found this picture on an old Birmingham site.
Hi Covroad,

Thanks for that. The building on the other side of the roundabout appears to be the Co-op which I certainly remember. What I don't remember is when it closed and was taken over by?? I'll try and do a bit more research....

Hi El Tel, Have you tried the small heath old pictures Facebook page there is quite a lot of info including pictures of Golden Hillock Rd. Regards.
Hi Aggie,

Thanks. Some of these shots are contemporary with my time living in Golden Hillock Road. Scary! Forgot to add I'm not on Facebook. Is there another way to view the photos?

Do you remember this place , it is modernises on this pic , but I remember the old Hut type structure

Attachments

• 7EB126DE-C1D3-41D1-AA92-33D1BF5685C7.jpeg
    7EB126DE-C1D3-41D1-AA92-33D1BF5685C7.jpeg
    66.9 KB · Views: 17
Do you remember this place , it is modernises on this pic , but I remember the old Hut type structure
Blimey, no. Where is it? I suspect it's well after my time.

O.K., just checked and if it's Wordsworth Road then I think it's where my uncle Ted used to go dancing on a Friday night. That would be in the '50s.

Last edited:
In 1949 and 1950 I had Billy Gameson at 112 Golden Hillock Rd build me bike frame forks that I raced on for years anyone has a photo of this shop? It was in a row of small shops

Attachments

• gameson7-builders.jpg
    gameson7-builders.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 14
Blimey, no. Where is it? I suspect it's well after my time.

In 1949 and 1950 I had Billy Gameson at 112 Golden Hillock Rd build me bike frame forks that I raced on for years anyone has a photo of this shop? It was in a row of small shops
I had a look at the few I've got to no avail. It seems that's one of the periods when there's not much in the way of information or photos. I checked my old man's write up of the time when we were living at No. 103 and I believe he bought a Sun Wasp Tandem from there in 1951 which he and mother used to bike all over Warwichshire. I personally don't remember a shop on that side of the road. Was it a proper shop with display windows and the like?

I had a look at the few I've got to no avail. It seems that's one of the periods when there's not much in the way of information or photos. I checked my old man's write up of the time when we were living at No. 103 and I believe he bought a Sun Wasp Tandem from there in 1951 which he and mother used to bike all over Warwichshire. I personally don't remember a shop on that side of the road. Was it a proper shop with display windows and the like?
Yes, it was a shop in a row of shops that sold bikes and parts. Billy Gameson worked there in the shop this was in the late1940s early 1950s

Yes, it was a shop in a row of shops that sold bikes and parts. Billy Gameson worked there in the shop this was in the late1940s early 1950s
O.K. Well I was born in 1950 so wouldn't have much idea of what was what until I was about ten so I might have never seen it. What we need is for someone to pull a photo out of the hat. The attachment shows up toward Six Ways from the corner of Byron Road so No.112 would be about half way up on the right. This shot is from the late sixties though so along with everything else it was probably long gone!

Attachments

• Small Heath Golden Hillock Rd - Byron Rd.jpg
    Small Heath Golden Hillock Rd - Byron Rd.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 20
O.K. Well I was born in 1950 so wouldn't have much idea of what was what until I was about ten so I might have never seen it. What we need is for someone to pull a photo out of the hat. The attachment shows up toward Six Ways from the corner of Byron Road so No.112 would be about half way up on the right. This shot is from the late sixties though so along with everything else it was probably long gone!
Small Heath - Golden Hillock Road - Six Ways Island (1).jpgSmall Heath - Golden Hillock Road - Six Ways Island (2).jpgSmall Heath - Golden Hillock Road - Six Ways Island (4).jpgSmall Heath - Golden Hillock Road - Six Ways Island (5).jpgSmall Heath - Golden Hillock Road (3).jpgSmall Heath - Golden Hillock Road - Byron Road (2).jpgSmall Heath - Waverley Road (3).jpg

Last edited:
I found a few photos of Golden Hillock Road around the 6 ways junction....see above. I'm not sure if I've used the correct insertion method

I found a few photos of Golden Hillock Road around the 6 ways junction....see above. I'm not sure if I've used the correct insertion method
Many thanks for that. Some of the photos I already had but 3 of them I hadn't seen before. Of particular interest was the excellent shot of the Co-op on Six Ways. This is clearly very old and I'm guessing pre-First World War. I remember it being still the Co-op in the early '60s but then closing and becoming a Laundrette(?). Anybody got any more information?

Additionally, I'm sure, with my fading memory, that the gas lamps were the same as the ones we had in Cooksey Road (and everywhere else for that matter). Is it possible we had gas lighting into the 1950s or is my memory playing tricks?

Many thanks for that. Some of the photos I already had but 3 of them I hadn't seen before. Of particular interest was the excellent shot of the Co-op on Six Ways. This is clearly very old and I'm guessing pre-First World War. I remember it being still the Co-op in the early '60s but then closing and becoming a Laundrette(?). Anybody got any more information?

Additionally, I'm sure, with my fading memory, that the gas lamps were the same as the ones we had in Cooksey Road (and everywhere else for that matter). Is it possible we had gas lighting into the 1950s or is my memory playing tricks?
There certainly were gas lamps in the 50's and even early 60's in Small Heath. I can remember the gas lighter man coming around every evening with his lighter pole.
.Did you know Alan Fair who lived at the end of Cooksey Road in the 60's? I believe that he became a lecturer in American Studies at Manchester Uni.

There certainly were gas lamps in the 50's and even early 60's in Small Heath. I can remember the gas lighter man coming around every evening with his lighter pole.
.Did you know Alan Fair who lived at the end of Cooksey Road in the 60's? I believe that he became a lecturer in American Studies at Manchester Uni.
Thank God for that, I thought I was going mad! I thought I remembered someone coming down the road every evening and turning them on but I thought we had electricity by then.

No, I didn't know him. The only Alan I new also lived in Cooksey road and he was Alan Wilkinson. Same age as me (born 1950) and I'm reasonably certain he was still there in the early '60s-

I worked for William Bloye the Birmingham sculptor at his big Victoria house with his studio in the back, it was on Golden Hillock Rd, for 4 years, until I went in the AF in 1951 at age 18 I seem to remember a roundabout there that had grooves in the road from the BSA bike testers racing around it. Not sure what the address was? do you remember it at all?

Last edited:
I worked for William Bloye the Birmingham sculptor at his big Victoria house with his studio in the back, it was on Golden Hillock Rd, for 4 years, until I went in the AF in 1951 at age 18 I seem to remember a roundabout there that had groves in the road from the BSA bike testers racing around it. Not sure what the address was? do you remember it at all?
I like the anecdote about the groves in the road from the BSA testers

I worked for William Bloye the Birmingham sculptor at his big Victoria house with his studio in the back, it was on Golden Hillock Rd, for 4 years, until I went in the AF in 1951 at age 18 I seem to remember a roundabout there that had grooves in the road from the BSA bike testers racing around it. Not sure what the address was? do you remember it at all?
Hmmm. The only roundabout within any reasonable distance from the BSA was Six Ways of course. Did they belt round that testing bikes? My old man worked for the BSA and also was a motorbike nut but he certainly never mentioned anything of that sort that I remember.

We were possibly next door neighbours. My parents lived at 105 (I believe) for a while in the early 1950s. I was born in '53 and we moved out to Sheldon in '55.

Hmmm. The only roundabout within any reasonable distance from the BSA was Six Ways of course. Did they belt round that testing bikes? My old man worked for the BSA and also was a motorbike nut but he certainly never mentioned anything of that sort that I remember.
Of course, they would never mention anything like that! But I saw it every day. William Bloye's House was there at six ways roundabout. but please do not take any offense this was in the 1950s I worked there for four years. Do you remember the big house there?

Back