• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Golden Eagle- Hill Street

Dad was a postman at Kitts Green sorting office, and for overtime he worked at Hill Street in the evening and when his shift finished he called into the Golden Eagle for a swift one before going home.

Brian Allen started the R and B Club at The Golden Eagle in the 60's. At the time it was advertised as the 1st R and B in Birmingham. Brian Allen started as a camerman at A.T.V. , soon to become a Film Editor. He booked Spencer Davis and then Stevie Winwood at The Golden Eagle. He was instrumental in promoting Birmingham Groups with his 'baby' For Teenagers Only. Sadly he died in a fire. But what he did for Birmingham groups cannot be underestimated.

Lyn Although I have been off the forum for some time I did send you a picture of the Golden Eagle just before it was demolished in 1984. Apparently you were going to forward it to Carl chinn.

John

hi john good to hear from you again and yes i did forward the pic onto carl and he was very grateful for it...just one thing...ive just had a look in my files and i cant seem to find it so if you still have my email address could i trouble you to forward it to me again please and i will repost it on the forum as we lost all of our images some months back..

many thanks john

lyn

That's a really interesting post Purple Cow, thanks.

I went to the Golden Eagle a few times in the 70's to see a band and I remember thinking the upper room was amazing.

All i remember was a green tartan carpet :cower:.

I used to drink in the eagle in the mid to late 70s,great pub here,s some pics, appologies if they were your original post.golden eagle, hill street.jpggolden eagle hill st (2),.jpggolden eagle hill st.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice photos. Really like the one of Ailsa 4750 climbing up in heavy snow, something a lot of modern buses couldn't manage.

Simon

Back