• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Gladstone Road, Sparkbrook and the Taylor's

cuppateabiscuit

master brummie
Hi,
Was wondering if anyone knew anything about a ladies school at 117 Gladstone Road, from about 1880 to 1890 it was run by Alice and Ellen TAYLOR. Many of my ancestors lived on Gladstone Road at some point, including a married daughter, surname BRADLEY. My Great Uncle, now in his 90's, remembers visiting an 'Aunt Alice' Taylor, and I was wondering if this was the same lady. Would be grateful of any information regarding her, the TAYLOR'S, BRADLEY'S or Gladstone Road in general, the BRADLEY family lived there till the 1940's when their home was bombed.
Thanks
Jenni

Jenni
No 117 was on the north side of the road, close to the junction with Palmerston road.(but note renumbering of road);

1876 no 117 not listed, nor any highish numbers. I don’t think it had been built.
1878 Taylor, Misses. Ladies School
1880-1884 Taylor Misses Alice & Ellen, ladies' school
1888- 1892 Robinson, Mrs Taylor Ladies school
1895 Clavequin Mrs Emilie ,private school
1896-1904 Clavequin Mrs Emilie ,private school. But road has been renumbered and school is no 6.
1908 no 6 not listed
I assume the change from Misses Taylor to Mrs Yaylor robinson was due to marriage.
Mike

Back