• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Girl with Lamb, Handworth Park. Have you seen it around?

Qu.Be

Heróiam sláva
Handsworth Park's bronze statue of a girl with a lamb was removed by (to me) person or persons unknown. in 1988.
Us Bensons are distantly connected to John P. Walker, the original sculpter, who was the husband of the sister-in-law of our maternal grandfather – no real connection at all, but we all remember the statue and used to see it in the sunken garden when we'd be in the park and know we had a link to the place.
I'm pretty sure the statue was nicked and melted down for scrap, but there's the odd chance that somebody's Mum had a really interesting present for Mothers Day that year and the thing is still out there.

Has anybody seen it since it walked off one night? Do you know anybody who might have given it a lift on Grove Lane? It was only thirty-six year ago

how sad that someone would stoop so low as to steal that lovely statue...fingers crossed it may yet turn up

lyn
Some people can stoop very low. Our towns War Memorial had the bronze plaques with the names of the fallen chiselled off and stolen in the night a few weeks back. Luckily the police recovered them before they could be melted down, council to re- install them.

Stolen 36 years ago and not traced since, it just shows you that the sort of people that do that sort of thing, were also around back then and they still seem to be getting away with it. Shame on them! :( My wife remembers it well, it was situated where they "used to catch tadpoles and eat their picnics"

1707217111916.png

Last edited:
Stolen 36 years ago and not traced since, it just shows you that the sort of people that do that sort of thing, were also around back then and they still seem to be getting away with it. Shame on them! :( My wife remembers it well, it was situated where they "used to catch tadpoles and eat their picnics"

View attachment 188798
i know the tadpole area well...but alas too young to notice that lovely statue

lyn

i know the tadpole area well...but alas too young to notice that lovely statue

lyn
Me too, really. Used to be taken there by a great aunt when I was three or four. She used to tell me to be a racing car on the path while she sat down on one of the benches. I'm pretty sure that was a way to get a few moments of quiet for her!
I'd like to see the statue back where it belongs, but I reckon it's been sold for scrap long ago.
I wonder if I can do something with image scanning to get a 3D model together...

Me too, really. Used to be taken there by a great aunt when I was three or four. She used to tell me to be a racing car on the path while she sat down on one of the benches. I'm pretty sure that was a way to get a few moments of quiet for her!
I'd like to see the statue back where it belongs, but I reckon it's been sold for scrap long ago.
I wonder if I can do something with image scanning to get a 3D model together...
Well if you are able to product a 3D model, please do share the results with us.

Back