• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Gigabyte Rationing !

oldMohawk

gone but not forgotten
I have BT Sport (free) and watch Premier League and Bundesliga footy and also like to watch iPlayer programs. It's ok on my iPad and Laptop but I thought how can I stream it to my 40" TV? Not wanting to make a certain big company richer by purchasing their high priced iPad accessories, and not wanting HDMI cables trailing across my lounge, I wandered into PCworld and a nice lady on the Google stand sold me a very reasonably priced WiFi dongle called a Chromecast.

I got home and plugged it into the back of the TV and auto set up took 5 minutes and I was soon casting HDTV footy and iPlayer stuff to my TV - most of my TV watching was coming down the telephone line, and I could even look at the BHF etc on my TV.
First snag - half way through the month a nice Email came from BT pointing out that I had used 35 Gigabytes of downloads and was well on course to exceed my monthly usage allowance.

So now I'm on Gigabyte rationing carefully watching the usage meter until the end of the month ... :unconscious:

Threaten to leave BT when close to the end of you term, as we did. Suddenly were were paying less per month for both line rental and Broadband and with no limit.

yes you are quite right on what you say, i done the same with talk talk and got a very good deal king reguards sidwho

Threaten to leave BT when close to the end of you term, as we did. Suddenly were were paying less per month for both line rental and Broadband and with no limit.
Hi Bernard - I did do that on BT when I went over to Infinity which gives me 37 down 8 up and free BT Sport, but as you did will try the no limit negotiation. The strange thing about a Chromecast is that it continues to the end of a program even when all my computers are switched off ! So after preventing my iPad continually contacting the iCloud, and using my Humax PVR to record programs I quite easily got through yesterday on about 30mb. So before the end of the month and with a eye on the meter I should be able to watch a couple of matches and maybe more.
oldmohawk

Ah living in the sticks we can only dream about Infinity OM. Stuck with 3.2 at the best.

My Infinity is fibre to the cabinet (FTTC) and according to Google Maps there could be half a mile of copper wire from the cabinet to me. I was rather surprised that 37Mbps could come along the existing copper wire when only 2.8 came with my old broadband, but I suppose the fibre from the exchange to the cabinet makes all the difference. When I first joined the BHF I was on 'dial-up' and can remember the old modem noise as it connected.

Just noticed my wonderful little Chromecast dongle plugged in the back of my telly seems to be downloading its nice high res slide-show pics continuously from the internet even when my telly looks switched off on standby for most of the day.
It's a great little device for watching iPlayer etc on the telly screen but it's nibbling at my allowance so now its switched off when I'm not using it until I find a way of casting a continuous blank pic at it or some other computer trickery.

Back