• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Giblin or Gibling family..

demoned2

crazy brummie
I'm trying to find out about john michael giblin...
he lived in rocky lane,aston in the 60's, worked at lucas great king street, also had connections with sutherland street in 1971...so if you remember this guy plz get in touch as he maybe my partners real dad and we want to find him and make contact if possible.
:shocked:

Last edited by a moderator:
I always understood my ma in law's maiden name to be Giblin but when doing family tree research found it was actually Barlow. A Cousin looking deeper into the history found that the Giblin bit came about somehow because she was born illegitimate and brought up as a sister of her mother. E.

We have traced a john m giblin , we thought we might pay him a visit as this man could be him, becouse he did work at lucas.

I know the Kingstanding area, there is a doctors surgery on the corner of Twickenham Rd and Parkeston Crescent just as you come off the College Road.
Have you spoke to him on the phone?

bren

Yes we spoke on the phone, so i did pay him a visit and he was really not very helpful. i haven't told my partner yet, although i believe this maybe the right person

This is the only thing with these situations, a lot of people will see it as they have got on with their lives and time has passed and they may not want to get involved, i wish you both the best of luck tho, whatever the outcome, lucky her having you to care/support her :)

i know what you mean,i just would like to find out if i have the right person before my partner finds out that i may have found her dad, as we have kids too and this will affect us all

It's a tricky one...
i have a similar problem, my nan's dad who is probably passed now as she's 80+ married and had children (her mother never married him) and i'd love to know what became of him and them as they are my blood, but do i go sticking a spanner in the works or don't i? It's a tough one, i found my dad by accident (he'd never bothered with us) and still doesn't, sometimes i wish i had just never known to be honest with you, but for my own peace of mind i had to know, so i do understand how your partner feels

it is a difficult sitituation, but she is persistant about finding him.

i think it's only natural to want to know your roots and where you come from and no doubt she has, just like i did, so many questions that she needs answers to....

You have to think of your nearest and dearest first in any sitaution, yes we would all wish for the fairy tale ending in these situations. A lot of people can get over excited and rush headlong into these things.
It seems to me that you are doing your best and that's all you can do. Whatever decisions are made by both parties, has to be the best for all those concerned.
I wish you all the very best with it

bren

I think you are right bren, i mean if he is the right person he probably never thought she would come looking.
He may be wanting to adjust to the situation first before he starts to deal with her side of things, he may have mixed feelings and not know what to say to her.

yes,i dont want my wife to get hurt in all this, i need to be sure and find out more before i even tell her i may have found her real dad...

If I was you I would think twice about telling her, some secrets are perhaps better kept.

just keeping you updated,i have discovered that the person I'm looking for has another daughter rebecca ,so if i can trace her or if anyone remembers her plz let me know

ANY idea as to when she was born, we can search for her birth and then a possible marriage as they may give us a clue of her whereabouts

bren

Found her birth --

Rebbeca Giblin mmn Brueton 1st qtr 1977 Birmingham 32 0603

Found the marriage of --

John Michael Giblin/Valerie M Brueton 2nd qtr 1972 Birmingham 9c 1335

I looked to see if i could find any more Giblin with mothers maiden name of Brueton, i couldn't find any

I then looked on 192.com for Rebbeca and nothing came up either in Birmingham or the rest of the country, sorry

bren

Thanx for that info bren...slowly starting to get somewhere. my partners dad left in 1971 when she was only 2yrs old
my partner remembers her mom telling her he also had a brother named james, so if we can link him to john then we definatley may have found our guy..

Hi demon

Right, i have been trawling births and marriages and this is what i have come up with --

Birth--
John M Giblin mmn Harper 1st qtr 1943 Birmingham 6d 1002

Then searched for his parents marriage --

Owen Giblin/Marjorie G Harper 3rd qtr 1933 Birmingham 6d 973

And they had --

John O Giblin mmn Harper 4th qtr 1935 Birmingham 6d 36
Marjorie G Giblin mmn Harper 1st qtr 1937 Birmingham 6d 805
Michael D O Giblin mmn Harper 3rd qtr 1938 Birmingham 6d 923
James A Giblin mmn Harper 3rd qtr 1945 Birmingham 6d 228

Death --
John O Giblin 0yrs 4th qtr 1935 Birmingham 6d 11

So you have your James you mentioned plus a sister and two other brothers, hope this helps

bren

Have sent you Instant Message

Last edited:
ahhhhh thanx bren,so if we have the right man i wonder if knows he has other brothers and sisters ....

hi i wasn't sure as the post was over a year old if you still needed help, how far have you got with what your looking for? and what are you looking for? let me know, i am sorry to be vague but i just need to understand you at first as i do know a lot about him. thanks

Hi, Just re-discovered this site and I wonder if you are still interested in Giblin as my Mothers sister married a Thomas Giblin and its not too common a name.
Danimac

I knew a Giblin or rather my parents did - I will ask my sister if she can throw any light on things.

I used to go to a family history group in Tamworth. There were two ladies there researching the name Giblin.:)

just received some news that john michael giblin died last year....is there anyway to confirm this, i know he was born 13th feb 1943...

Back