• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Gibbins Lily Violet born 9 August 1916

terry carter

Birmingham Pals
There has never been any mention of Lily Violet Gibbins from family members. My mom who is 85 has no idea who she is. She is the daughter of my gran and her first husband, Benjamin Gibbins 1890-1919 who died of Spanish Flu on leave from France.

Any clues please

Thanks

Terry

Re: Lily Violet Gibbins born 9 August 1916

Did you know she had a sister Evelyn mothers maiden name Witsey birth registered March quarter 1920, as Benjamin died in March 1919 I am assuming that Evelyn was born at the end of
Cannot find any further records of Lily V Gibbins and no remarriage of Elizabeth Gibbins.

There is a marriage of a Charles Heard to Eliza Witsey in 1920 and they had a daughter Lily V in 1922, related perhaps?

Last edited:

Theres a Lily V Gibbons, died in Jan. qtr 1918 aged 1. I cant find a birth for a Lily V with the O, so maybe its been mistranscribed.
Lynne.

Hello Alberta

Thanks for checking. I know about Evelyn and the first daughter born in 1914, Elizabeth but always known as Dolly.

Lynne.... thanks for that, that could be a possibility.... Gibbins and Gibbons seems to get mixed

regards

Terry

intersting item from his service papers. He was mobilised at the start of WW1, Army Service Corps, and awarded the 1914 Star. However he deserted on 16 Nov 1915. Surrendered himself to Police in Birmingham, 24 Nov 1916, court martialled, and after a few months detention back to France March 1917.

I would imagine Lynnes finding is correct because the first daughter Elizabeth Gibbins was registered Elizabeth Gibbons mother Witsey in 1914.

My Great Gandma was Johana or Johania Gibbins Married a guy named Perry.
I think they cam from Handsworth if that`s any use.

Back