• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Ghost signs of Birmingham

I hadn't ,Viv, but have now. A couple of Staniers, but none in steel manufacture or in Bond st

It's a mystery Mike. Just an observation, but looking at the B/W photo, the building seems very thin, so maybe the name is, in reality, much longer if you get my drift. But afraid still none the wiser!! Thanks for trying to pinpoint the name. Viv.

This sign is next to Bordesley Station, corner of Upper Trinity Street and Coventry Road. The photos are in order left to right. It seems to say more than just 'Bordesley Station' but can't make it out. Are the letters on the first photo the railway company name perhaps? Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349294412.906367.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349294435.416692.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349294456.342112.jpg

I don't know but they appear to be painted over even earlier letters.

bordesly cattle station that what it was where they brought the cattle to for market
and down and around to the bordesly arches for the general market of yester years one for the pigs and one for sheep and one for the cows
i used to whatch them coming down bordesly street many times as a nipper and eventualy they came down through the warren of arches to new cannal
and along the rd to two doors away into the hide and skin yard they would walk on the pavement and some would stop and stair into the coffee shop windows and the man would shove them along i was not very old at the time they wpould frighen me even when i got abit older we used to go to the grand fathers farm and out of all my eight brothers i would not walk down the lane to fetch the cows from the field and bring them up to themilking barn where as my dad and fbrothers did they would call me from behind the cottage garden gate but i would not until theyu was all rounded up and some one was milking them
then i would peer into the milking sheds from a distance i was slly i surpose but in my older days now i have no fear ;
ernie jelf my grand father s back yard would lead right into the hide and skin yard and we would walk up by the slaughtering section ; and i wopuld see all the cows and sheeps skins all piled up high and the yard full of blood
this was is coffee shop and transport coffee house for all transport drivers bringing cattle to bordeslly and right next door to typhoo tea factory
he wopuld garage is car and van in this yard which was another gate to there side number 1 newcannal street digbeth
oppersuiithim on the corner of bordesley street was a very tiny littleforecourt and two little petrol tankd ; and a little hut
and opersite there was the spotted dog ;
these years are the forties and fifties ; best wishjes astonian;;

Well blow me down Alan. That's brilliant! And Bernie you're right too - a sort of double ghost sign. I was about to ask for volunteers to go along there with some very long ladders and a sturdy set of shears to reveal the full sign. Thanks Alan and Bernie. Viv.

Found a photo of the full Bordesley Cattle Station sign. The additional letters at the beginning of the sign are B.R.W. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349303080.503292.jpg

It's a mystery Mike. Just an observation, but looking at the B/W photo, the building seems very thin, so maybe the name is, in reality, much longer if you get my drift. But afraid still none the wiser!! Thanks for trying to pinpoint the name. Viv.

We all know of the world-famous STANLEY steel products, namely the Stanley Knife, do we? Any connection there, maybe?

Stainless Steel products seems very possible, except I can find no mention of them in Brum

took these earlier.. think i can make out the word green but thats about it...the building is right on the canal at cuckoo bridge..cuckoo road nechellls...

ghostwriting005.jpg

ghostwriting004.jpg

ghostwriting003.jpg

ghostwriting002.jpg

Excellent Lyn. Think the word 'stationers' might be in there too. Or at least something with ' .......tioners' in the title.. Think the second name starts with a W, so as you say Lyn " Green & W ......., (sta)tioners" perhaps..Viv.

hi viv yes you could be right...crikey it was really hard to make much of it out and i was right on top of it lol..have a look again at pic 2..looks to me like there could have been another firm there before the green one...think i can make out fainter but different lettering....not got me glasses on though..

Think you're right Lyn, one sign painted over an earlier one. I think it's the same company. The second name looks like it starts " & VELBU ......" The two 'V's' superimposed make it look like a 'W'. Luv these lifesize puzzles! Viv.

Blimey, i can't even read the graffiti underneath...

Had a fresh look after coming back from shopping. Wonder if it's "Green and Velbourn". Never heard of them! Business activities suggested so far:

Stationers
Auctioners
I'll also suggest Confectioners.
Anyone have any other 'tioners' ?! Viv.

Green & Welburn Ltd ,printers, Cuckoo road. think this was on sometime ago , or it might have been another forum

thanks mike...well thats another one sorted folks...will start keeping a lookout for these signs now...

Yes thanks Mike. Think the older and newer signs threw us slightly off the scent Lyn Nice one.

Here's a more mundane sign (corner of Hockley St and Barr St) interesting products though. Leonard Gundles....they made bikes, notably ice cream bikes and butchers bikes. Think it says "Engineers" after the words Gundle on the Barr St side. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349368019.358594.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1349368033.118663.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349368098.515668.jpg
dy7uqy3e.jpg

Next two photos near my daughters house in Overbury,taken from google street view,2nd photo not a ghost sign,but there can't be many of these left.tattoo. 001.jpgtattoo. 002.jpg

I recall seeing an AA sign similar in a Suffolk village a few years years back.

Green & Welburn Ltd ,printers, Cuckoo road. think this was on sometime ago , or it might have been another forum
No Mike you are correct - the subject of Ghost Writing thread by Frothy has this as a subject- https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=39151&highlight=Green+Welburn If Viv and Frothy do not mind I am thinking of moving the above thread into this 'Ghost Signs' thread but it will appear at the start as it will be placed in calendar order.

Very happy to link them up Bernie. Didn't find Frothy's thread when I first searched, so more than happy for you to merge them. Viv.

Can't make out any of the words on this one. It's on Icknield Square and currently occupied by Biddle & Webb, Auctioneers. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349519268.235121.jpg

hi viv
the building in question should be easy for me but for the love nor money i just cannotrecall the name as i grew up there just around the corner ; so to try and make out what it was i suggest we get two people involved here and thats mike with is records or may be a dear old friend mossy whom grew up almost oppersite that building in shakespear rd ;i my self should know it but at this precise time no
so if any one as got the dirctorys for the forties and fifties bussiness ones for the period of 1940 to fifties you will find it was lesbrooks factory whom was there right up until the late sixties possible seventy one i recall and its the previuos occuppys whom was there just before less brooks
and it was biddle and webbs whom bought it from them ;in the eighties i think they moved in but it was lessbrooks cycles sadle makers and cables i thin they done they done a combination of things as i said i seen it as i was growing up on the block before lesbrooks moved in
i know they was there in the sixtys early if not before have a nice day best wishes astonian;

That's a good start Alan on the Icknield Sq building. Hopefully someone can pin it down for us. Thanks Alan. Viv.

Back