• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ghost signs of Birmingham

again this could have been posted before but i was down that way today...nice one on the side of britannia pub lichfield road..took this one from the side street

lyn

VINE..SWAN AND MITRE..BRITANNIA LICHFIELD ROAD 012.JPG

Nice one Lyn. Always worth posting again as it updates us on the condition of the signs. Thanks. Viv.

Not sure if this is the best thread for the below, but above the Council House on Eden Place is a JS (or SJ).

Who does it stand for?

? ? - Hampton Optical Co Lt on Essex Street. Just shows how modern signs placed over older signs can help preserve the older sign. Must ne hundreds if not thousands covered over across Birmingham. Viv.

image.jpeg

ive often said that viv...would love to rip all the modern ones down lol...great find

lyn

Last edited:
couldn't resist this Lyn
images

Saw this ghost sign on a rear building to a cottage in Balsall Common (Solihull).

I could make out the below:

"Ye Olde Saddlers Shoppe"
P Chapman & sons since 1878.
We make Leather Goods
& Bags for various purposes

I didn't notice that, but there is some old things behind the wall. I only saw the weather vane with the cockerel when I went past.

Finally managed to photo these signs on Springfield Junior school. It is just off Stratford Road at the junction of Springfield Road and College Road. I passed in the car a while ago but needed to be on foot as there is no way to park easily. We walked down to the bridge over the River Cole today and walked back along the river - beautiful. There may be other signs but these are the only ones visible from the road. The last says "Junior M_ _ D" but I suspect it was damaged when the horrible security wire was put up. It is listed in the 1913 Kelly's directory.

Attachments

• P1000638.JPG
    P1000638.JPG
    489.2 KB · Views: 30
  • P1000639.JPG
    P1000639.JPG
    649.4 KB · Views: 30
  • P1000637.JPG
    P1000637.JPG
    570.4 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Shop on Fordhouse Lane, Stirchley near Barn Close. Now called Mace, but behind it says The Bottle Shop.

does anyone know what the letters stand for on this building....i thought maybe birmingham ? institute but thats just wild guesss
shops orphanage road.jpg shops orphanage road2.jpg
lyn

It was the Birmingham Co-op, so would stand for Birmingham Industrial co-operative (BIC)

yep silly me viv and mike i thought i had seen this before...ignore me the cold weather is freezing my brain.:D

As far as I can tell that building was the Peel Arms Hotel - it is a grade 2 listed building. I wonder if the "garage" sign was to the hotel's garage or an advert for a garage?
1974 map attached but it also marked as Peel Arms on the 1884 map . There is a garage marked next to the Castle Hotel on 1957 map.
25203009-8162-433d-bcd9-48f87c61d933

747bac12-8c49-42a6-94f7-bb4d6b5ad04e

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-12_12-25-37.png
    upload_2018-3-12_12-25-37.png
    185 KB · Views: 7
  • upload_2018-3-12_12-30-44.png
    upload_2018-3-12_12-30-44.png
    170.3 KB · Views: 8
That's what I thought. It putd things in context. I didn't realise the peel Arms had closed. In the 1960s it was a Berni Inn if my memory serves me correctly.

must admit janice i dont know tamworth that well except to say that about 45 years ago i came back from the mile oak pub(i think it was in tamworth) with a baby goat tucked under my arm...please dont ask....:D:D:D

lyn

Back