• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

George Rd Baptist Church Erdington

christopher short

Birmingham Post
Jennyann's brief mention of this church in her fascinating memories of Erdington, reminded me of the late 50' early 60's when I attended the church. As a young lad I joined a boys' club there called " The Jucos" which were a junior version of an older boys' club called "The Covenanters". Many happy hours at club meetings on Mondays. Looking back, I had a great deal of respect for the young guys who gave up their time and ran the club and conducted the boys' Sunday morning services but there was a sort of Messianic fervour about them. As I got older, and as Jennyann quite rightly said, the teachings were very strict indeed and I'm sorry to say that any questioning of doctrine were stamped upon and any questions I had remained unanswered or glossed over. Every year the anniversary of the church was celebrated by a fortnight's series of services with a massive choir made up from church members, young and old, with "Sword of The Lord" guest preachers. I took part in the choir for a number of years until my early teens when I decided enough was enough. I and my parents (not church goers) were bombarded by church elders about my decision with, it seemed to me, dire warnings of God's retribution upon me.
Please forgive me if this offends anyone.

Back