• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

George Ellison and Tufnol

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
Here we have two business activities which produced a world beating product. George Ellison started out producing electrical switchgear in Paris in 1898 and subsequently made great advances through the later development of a reliable electrical insulation material, 'Tough Phenol' later named 'Tufnol' (or Synthethic Resin Paper). It even had a place in components for a variety of military equipment and during WW2 the Ministry of Aircraft Production took control of the Tufnol factory.

My interest in the company is because my dad was employed by Geo. Ellison when he came out of the RAF. He was an electrical engineer with the company. I remember going with him once to visit a client in North London. I never understood what he was actually there to do or what his job was (being very young and technically incompetent!) but he gave me a brilliant understanding of the London underground tube map which would prove to be invaluable in later years! I vividly remember the smell of the resin on his clothes as well as the generous Christmas parties, complete with the 'real' Father Christmas arriving at Wellhead Lane on his sleigh.

Here's a photo of George Ellison's premises at Wellhead Lane built in 1916. Across the road the Tufnol factory was built.

Also attached is a summary of how the company progressed over time and my favourite GE advert. Viv.

yjata6e9.jpg

uqu8uga8.jpg

yme7u9u9.jpg

My father Wilfred Barr worked at Ellisons for over 40years and retired in 1970, he was an electrical fitter and he always came home stinking .... l know he worked with tufnol and his cowgown was always reeking of something....l enjoyed reading the history of about tufnol and ellisons and remember the x'mas parties for us kids also l do remember the exibition in 1944 at perry bridge l got to sit in a aeroplane there (l'm showing my age now).....l know in the main entrance was a big oil painting by a dame somebody... l think it was of a worker working on a switchgear well my dad was in it to....wonder what happened to it after they pulled the buildind down...Brenda

Hi Brenda. Was it this painting "Ruby Loftus Screwing a Breech-ring by Dame Laura Knight 1943". The painting was on display for a while here at the Imperial War Museum earlier this year. I saw it as part of a women war artists exhibition. A truly wonderful painting. There was also a programme about Ruby Loftus too. If it was this painting, it's safe and well, possibly still touring the UK. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349008966.187332.jpg

Viv, thank you for your reply, the name dame laura knight sounds familier but the copy you posted is'nt the one my father was in.....the painting had no women in it just a man in the foreground i think his name was george harris and my father was in the background.....l can see it in my mind as dad had a photo of it also a signed letter of thanks for posing but where they are now l do'nt know...maybe l'll brendado some internet searching and come up with it..the picture l mean...brenda

Viv thank you for helping me ...l have already e-mailed dame laura knight site and asked if they have any record of the painting...keeping my fingers crossed.......Brenda

l have recieved a prompt reply on my enquiry of the oil painting by Dame Laura Knight. the painting was titled "Switch Works", and was sold at Southerbys in 2005 for 13.200.00 pounds. by the son of the person in the fore ground, who l believe was a George Harris, glad to hear it still hangs on a wall somewhere and keeping the George Ellisons alive...Brenda

That's fantastic Brenda. Using your info I've been able to track down a few more details and a pic.It was a commemorative picture to celebrate the end of WW2. It was commisioned by Ellison's. Afraid the picture I'm attaching won't enlarge but we can get a fair idea of it. And there's a bit of info to go with it. The picture was an oil measuring 60" x 40". Lovely to get a result on this. Thanks Brenda. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349102825.374500.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349102840.047230.jpg

Viv, wonderful you beat me to it, as l was searching for a copy of the "switchworks" when l recieved your info about your find...l really was'nt having much luck....it was nice to see the painting in colour as l remember dad had a black and white picture of the painting...well we've settled the mystery of the painting between us hav'nt we...Brenda

Nice teamwork Brenda! Now I'll try and find a picture of it that we can enlarge. Be nice to see the detail. Looks like I was so excited I posted TWICE! Viv.

Does anyone have any info re a company previously sited in Aston "Ellisons".
Not certain if they were electrical or mechanical engineering based?

Believe that one of my grandfathers brothers worked for the company and want data to research further.
-I actually went to this factory in the late 80's regarding setting up some training and was told at the time by my grandmother that her husbands brother had worked there?
-But can not recall much about the company.
-any info, sites/links etc would be great.

Further, would like info re the occupation "glass pincher".
What did this involve.

Appreciate any and all responses.
Many thanks

To StewieA : Not sure if this is of any help but if the company name you are looking for is " George Ellison Ltd " there is an existing Forum thread (12 Posts ) under the thread heading " George Ellison and Tufnol ".
Photo from thread incl.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 35
Re: glass pincher. I suspect it has something to do with "pinching" the blown glass off the pipe after it has been shaped. They use what look like metal pincers.

Janice

Hi Roy
That's a cracking good old photo of George ellinsons for that period yes correctly as you know it was wellhead lane
And also they expanded around to Aston lane from wellhead lane perry Barr they was still there in the 1970 s as l lived along the road from
Them and they had the huge sign above the building for all to she I am speaking of the 1970; s I lived at 194 Aston lane
And my brother was security at the said then said the ici, and my sister in law was a pa there for many many years before
She married my oldest brother she had shares in the company she did well out of it
Best wishes astonian,,,,,,,,,

A considerate move (and clever advertising/PR) informing clients that the Ellison factory and offices would be closed over the Whitsun period. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 20
This image shows yet again the Ellison value of good workmanship. Another nice advertisement. Although no idea why they'd be advertising in the 1948 "Water and Water Engineering" publication. Viv.

image.jpeg

Viv,

A slight inaccuracy re: your opening post. Paxolin is SRBP (Synthetic Resin Bonded Paper), Tufnol is Synthetic Resin Bonded Cotton/Linen, Bakelite is Synthetic Resin Bonded Wood Flour, the resin traditionally being phenol formaldehyde. They are all quite good electrical insulators and have been extensively used as such. The main differences seem to be in the mechanical properties. There was a story on the internet that Paxolin is now apparently banned due the effect of the dust created when it is being cut. However, it is still widely available and is still being produced by Presspahn Ltd. The various grades of Tufnol were given the names of wildlife, the lowest voltage version being called whale. Don't ask me why! :)

Maurice

This 1921 Engineer extract is for sale on eBay. It's labelled as a Birmingham Switchgear Works. In the write up attached to the photo extract the eBay vendor has called it "Allison's". Surely this is Geo Ellison's factory ? Viv.

image.jpeg

hi viv we had bill switchgears on aston lane perry barr...i believe ellisons also made switchgear but would not know for certain if the the photos show ellisons

lyn

You should note that old Engineer issues are available after free registration at Graces Guide at https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/The_Engineer_(Bound_Volumes)

I am sure many will appreciate that advice Mike.
Ebay always seems to me to be 'mugsville'. I know much of the large scale railway models usually are overpriced and frequently incorrectly described. One word seems common to a lot of what is advertised and that is 'rare'.

Amazon is a minefield for reprints. If you look up, say Birmingham (I often look at new books on that subject though unfortunately this also brings up the alabama Birmingham), and you will see hoards of books which are reprints of old texts, I think printing immediately before purchase) and over 50% are available free online from some source, but are priced at £25-45

Ellison’s Insulations changed their name to Tufnell Ltd in 1944, but my Dad who was still working there in the 1960s/70s continued to refer to the company as George Ellison’s. I expect most former Ellison’s employees did too. Viv.

CE91EFE2-7A47-441E-A2C1-220A8244762B.jpeg

Back