• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

George Best

postie

The buck stops here
Staff member
They called him the kid with the million dollar feet
The skills that he had were learned in the street
Practicing his football from morning till night
Perfecting his talents until he had it just right
Across the Irish Sea he did sail
And with a name like Best, how could he fail
To Manchester United he made his way
And for ten long years that's where he would stay
He played his football in an incredible manner
Dribble, shoot, pass he could turn on a tanner
He had the whole of the world in the palm of his hand
He was a super star and for him life was grand
But he was heading for trouble at a fantastic rate
Booze drugs and women were sealing his fate
And now is the time to play one last overdue game
It's with the Grim Reaper who's calling his name
God bless you George , may you go not in pain
You've given us sunshine, you've given us rain
Don't fight it any more my footballing friend
The ninety minutes are up and the games at an end.

:angel: This just anoher great poem Postie, and you were saying you couldn't write them a few days ago. How wrong you were.

Chris :angel:

I visited the WBA ground in 1974? which was unheard of for a Villa supporter, just to see George Berst & Co the score I think 4-3 no more details only to say wouldlnt go near the ground till Villa played then.

My thoughts are with his family :'(

Hey postie, maybe you couldn't play football like him but I bet he couldn't write poetry like you... A fitting epitaph to a great sportsman, signifying the end of another golden era.

Poor George - he lived his life the way he wanted to obviously and enjoyed the highs and lows. Good poem Postie.

I feel awful

The only thing that comes to mind when I see George Best is how he used his wife as a punchbag....and the torment of the parents who donated their childs liver at a time when no one should be asked that question................. in the hope  that someone else may live.....................

I admit, I'm not a great footie fan...............and I am led to believe that in the 'footie world' he was 'special'...............alcoholism is not special and it leaves many people harmed.........not just the alcoholic.

Subee :-* Don,t feel awful... No man who hits a woman is "Special", No Alcoholic has the "Excuse"
Sure George was a "Great Footballer" & the Sporting fraternity rightly pay tribute as I personally do :)

But as a man,husband & father he was nothing "Special" :idiot2: Ok ,John

Back