• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Gentlemen Only!

Who is this whippersnapper among us. It will be a duel my man, state your weapon, frying pan or saucepan.................

Connect
Mafia2.gif
47.gif

Connect i'd love to stay at home,but i,ve gotta earn me pennies :'(

The Kings Norton Ex-Servicemens Club in Cotteridge had a G.O. up until around the early 80s..  It's only in the last couple of years that women have been allowed to play snooker in the club - this I think being an attempt to attract more people to these sort of private clubs as they've realised that women can go out without dragging the kitchen sink behind them  :angel:

I think the club over the road - the Cotteridge Social still had a G.O. into the 90s - will have to check with my old man on that one tho'!  :-*

Janny

jannywanny said:

... women can go out without dragging the kitchen sink behind them.
:angel:

Well, would you believe it? Another revelation - we certainly live and learn, don't we?
muttley.gif
;)

:2funny: Ha Ha Oisin, you make me giggle....

I personally am all for bringing back the G.O. - keep all the old dinosaurs together I say ;)...

hi colin b
i have lived in kings heath all my life ( how boring am i ) and only the pub is known as the knob, the area is known as lanes end,
i also worked for franklins butchers for a few years at alcester lanes end, so i think your theory is not correct sorry,
there was also a bowling green at the knob which was well used.by the dicky bow brigade.
jake

Most Kings Arms are nicknamed " the knob" I think it comes from the card game, Cribbage, where the scoring goes something like, 15/2, 15/3 15/4 and if you have a King left, its 1 for his knob. :-\

In the game of crib - the 'one for his knob' is the suited Jack that the holder gets the point for, not the King

Janny

Never mind Postie.... I obviously had a mispent youth in the pubs and clubs of Brum (not in the G.O. though ;) ).... still have quite a good poker face when required 'n all. :angel:

In the past pubs were full of laughter, where people got together for a drink and a bit of gossip, told a few jokes and had a good sing song, but sad to say them times are gone, and most pubs are closed down, through lack of support, when people cant recognise a wind up, I dont think they would bring much laughter to a pub.

Bragals - I am mortified to report that the Laird has joined a GO bowling club - the Royal Hobart Bowling Club would you believe? :tickedoff: Yes, gals, they are dinosaurs. Went to one of the four occasions the "ladies" are invited a couple of weeks ago. We were treated like gold I must say (the little women yer know). The Laird is enjoying himself immensely. ::)

Kate he is going to have back trouble and it won't do you any good
wheelchair.gif
smiley_789.gif

No, indeed, Alfie. I need him out there digging the garden, and inside doing the vaccuming etc etc :)

Back