• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Gentlemen Only!

K

KeithH

Can anyone remember the last G.O. (gentlemen only) in Birmingham? I doubt if there is still one operating today?

Er... "Gentleman Only" what, Keith? :? Pubs? I knew they had gentleman only rooms in some of the older pubs but not whole pubs that were off limits to wimmin. Then again, I'm but a youngster. :roll: However, I do recall one publican who would not serve wimmin who weren't accompanied by a male. And quite right too! :lol:

Those were the days

Oh Paradise Lost!
My Grandfather would head only for the G.O. Like others he had his own chair that was occupying a particular place in the room. All his crony's accordingly had their own chairs also strategically placed so all could enjoy their games of 'Doms' - unfettered.
Should a lady have the temerity of looking around the door to call her errant hubby home, for his possibly now cold dinner, the call that went up was universal "Wrong Room".
They were a fast disappearing 'sanctuary' in my day but I managed to enjoy their dying cries to about the late 60's.
Now apart from hubby coming home a little the worse on a Sunday lunchtime to a cold dinner, what harm did these rooms do?
I would have had no objection to the opening of a L.O. room but then who would have paid in those days?

G.O.

Paul, Not the whole pub just a small room set aside.

It was around 1968-69 when I first started visiting the locals in and around the Nechells/Aston/City area and I am sure there was a G.O. still going but I just can't remember where.
The topic was started by a conversation in my local where a member of the fairer sex complianed about some bad language being used, while watching the football and some one retorted, bring back the G.O. It started minds whiring to remember a pub that had such a room.

Gents Only in the Hope & Anchor, Paradise Street

I regularly used the "gentlemen's smoking room", as the brass plate on the door called it in the 1950s, when we would take it over (with the blessing of the management) for committee meetings of the Railway Development Association. We hatched a campaign there which had quite a good effect on local train services, at a time when British Railways was more interested in long distance and freight. Thanks to the aid of local MPs, we got diesel trains introduced, and also cheap day returns.
The gents only was fairly small with continuous leather seating all round, and smallich tables probably used for meals at lunch times. There was a serving hatch at the end to the bar area, so it was easy to get a drink. It was generally very quiet in the evening, which is why they let us use it for free.
The Hope & Anchor was also known as "Eli's", after a former licensees, Eli Fletcher.
It was a very nice pub, but not as dfistinguished bas the Woodman in Easy Row, but that's another story.

Whay aye ya bugger..

When I go back up Shields my wife Roz hates it, she hates the place because she reckons it's ALL a G.O. club..
Roz has a really high power job and I'm not ashamed to admit (very proud of it actually) she earns nearly twice as much as me.
But on the Sunday up there I'll go for a drink and a game of Bingo etc..
in a Working mens club holding about 600 people there are about 10 women...and these are all Barmaids..
now women aren't of course banned, as we all know that's against the law, but should a wife or girlfriend enter the place for social reasons no man would speak to her..and if a guy did..he would be totally ignored by all the other guys afterwards...sheer bliss..
after all to keep ANY woman happy all she needs is a good belting and planty of babies..up there, women know their place and it's not yakkin about knitting and babies on a Sunday morning at the club..
Now our lot?
talk about spoilt... where, oh where, oh where, have we gone wrong? 8)

I met a lovely guy, a journalist, in the early 70's. He was over here from UK chasing John Stonehouse with the rest of the British media. We went to a pub in Melbourne and he started to head through the entry to the bar. I said "hang on, I can't go in there!" He was amazed. Times have changed now though and yes, guys, FOR THE BETTER! (Well, as far as drinking in a bar is concerned - lol) :wink:

Gents only

The last Gents Only I can remember was at The Weoley Castle on Shenley Lane.

REF GENTS ONLY I USED TO BELONG TO A CLUB THE MOSELEY CLUB ON WAKE GREEN ROAD THAT WAS GENTS ONLY APART FROM ONE NIGHT OF THE YEAR AND WIVES GIRLRIENDS ETC COULD COME IN THEY DID HAVE THE STEWARDS DAUGHTER TO SERVE BEHIND THE BAR
JOHNEDWARD

Thee was on in Kings heath off the Alcester Road South it may have been called Kingswood. My dad use to go, then eventually it began inviting ladies to special nights.

with reference to the gentleman,s club i notice some one mentiion the kingsman club which was on the wake green rd moseley , but straight away i remembberd the gables gentleman,s club, on oxford rd moseley , it was run by an greek guy and his wife named george and anna , hes known by people has mr george, because no one can pronounce his name , it was for bussiness men , and a luncheon club, thhe car park was full every day at lunch time with allthe big rollers and bently,s, it was very flush in there and the prices were sky high also the evening was always packed, and you had a gold memership card to get through the door and you would be greeted by a big gentle guy by the name of eamom, his chef was a guy named wholly, whom would be on hand until the last client left possible around 6 .oclockl in the morning , mr george was a stickerlar ,he respected every customer even it meant i . meal for a person george would make wholly stay until the last customer had left the premises, , he also used to own several big hotel,s down on hagley rd , has he got older he sold them off , because the son,s did,nt want to be in the hotelier trade , one son was a captain of a ship he,s got a daughter ,i think her name is maria, she,s a lovely lady , and she run,s the best and flushest hotel on hagley rd for him and thats the eaton hotel on the hagley rd and the food is fantasic old george takes a back seat now , but keeps an eye on it , and puts an appearance in now and them he lives in a grand house down moseley, he his a very well know bussiness and a millonaire,. astonian,;;;;

There is a small club in a village called Dordon not far from Tamworth called the Stute and it's men only,and has been for many many years.
The Stute does not allow women in,infact the only women they do let in are the barmaids and the cleaners :mad: :mad:

Why female barstaff and cleaners can't the men do it and make it all male. I won't hold my breath waiting for a reply.............................

I know the Eaton Hotel, Ive been there a couple of times for dinners. The food is good.

fergie said:
Why female barstaff and cleaners can't the men do it and make it all male...

What a silly suggestion.
muhaha.gif

What about those Working Men's Clubs around Brum.... Men only for sure?
I remember one at the top of Witton Road opposite the library.

Only 3 Wimin out of 14 replies we have em beat lads  :knuppel2:

hi afie, we may have had three wimmin out of fourteen replies, but thats only because the other eleven wimmin don,t know what sex they are whether they are female or male , if you do an obersvation around your club or any other club or down your local, you will begin to notice that today, that the wimmin are dressing very butch, and the male s are dressing female , so may be thats where you could be misled , what do you think ,, alf ,?. the mind boggles, ah ah , by the way , i,m not being homa phobic on this subject but just making an observation on this subject, i do know that this as been going on for years , in fact many years how the human race his changing, as it was mentioned the other week about the starlactica human race coming , but thats not going to be in our near future generation , alf . but the planet his changing and the male and female species are as well , so wait for the other eleven wimmen to make up there mind , alf women are taking over slowly but surely i think there his more female bosses than males now alf being domanering to us males, heaven help us all , best wishes alf have a nice day , astonian,

Ye but they dont always fit propper like. :idiot2: :tickedoff:

the kings arms ( the knob ) alcester lanes end kings heath had a mens smoking room no ladies allowed,
it is still called the knob, anyone know were it got its nick name from, some say it was because the rich people
who went to the dogs ( greyhound track ) almost opposite the knob. ?

jake

Hi Jake ,as you know I am researching Kings Heath for a new website,and have looked for information regarding "The Knob".It's possible that the Alcester Lanes End area was known as "The Knob",rather then just the pub.The earlist reference I have found is about 1920.The area was quite a posh area with large houses with large gardens hence the residents of such an area could be seen as" knobs".
I used to go to the dog racing there in the early 70's,and would have thought it was a sport of the less well off rather than the rich,a bit like the poor mans horse racing.
I wanted to include a section on the greyhound track on the web site,but I have not been able to find much information about it,so again a plea to anyone who may be able to help me.

Colin

Last Gents Only I remember was the Hare & Hounds Marsh Hill just up from Brookvale Park
borracho.gif
Men Only

hi colin
         the only thing i know about the dog track for certain is, a man named shetland was one of the best known dog racer's in the area,
          he had kennels in fleetwoods field which were opposite my house in doversley road, can't remember what fleetwoods did, but
          they had cart horses in the field, which i will never forget, they used to escape out of the field and come into the gardens and eat all your plants, if you left your front door open they would come into the house, imagine trying to get a bloody great big shire horse to back out of your hallway, i will see what i can find out about shetland can't remember his first name.
                                                       jake

All pubs should be G Os The place for women is at home in the kitchen

Its allright Postie he has not been with us very long, I think he is going to learn the mistake he made when Australia and N Z wake up. :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :knuppel2:

Back