• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

GEC WITTON WORKS

i had a weeks work there in the 80s cleaning the machines down,while they were on holidays, i had a good mooch around the factory very interesting place.:grinning:

welcome to the forum lynda...i hope some members can help you as it can be difficult to fill in gaps

lyn
The tool room was over by the Tinsmith Deptand Feeder Dept tool room made jigs and fixtures for the different production sections including tools for the manufacture stampings rotor building and market poles for AC generators.GEC Witton was a large electric motors and generators switchgear and transformed machine maimly for the power industry. The made domestic appliances hair dryers, vacuum cleaners, fans, and plastic kitchen items.

Good morning, my dad worked at Witton works from 1938 to 1959, I have his watch for those dates but he was there longer. Unfortunately I lost my dad some years ago so I can't ask him questions I'd love to. I know it's a long shot but does anyone remember Edwin Dyke who lived in Rupert St. Nechells around that time. And what did they manufacture around that time. He was a toolmaker and I assume that's why he didn't do any service until 1946. Just trying to fill gaps in my knowledge. Thanks if anyone can help
Welcome to the Forum Lynda, enjoy!

I posted on the forum a year ago about playing rugby against the 'GEC WITTON RUGBY CLUB', and the post match refreshments and food in the THE MAGNET CLUB. I'm just wondering if there is anyone out there who used to play for the club, and if they have any history and/or photos of it. As I said in my first post, GEC RFC eventually moved away and then merged with OLD CENTRALS RUGBY CLUB to form a totally new club called ALDRIDGE RUGBY CLUB. They play at Little Hardwick Lane, Streetly.

Hi John I worked in SM 1955 as an apprentice with Ralph Kay one of the companies we used to do a lot of work for was Hobart motors for bacon machines and other food processing machines used be called the 500 and 8140 induction AC motors. Ralph was a fun guy always playing somebody up. I remember a Lil and Janet who used to work on the winding bay.
Hi Ray. I remember testing the Hobart motors very well, heavy things compared to most of the other stuff. I have often thought I knew your name but could never connect where from. For some reason thought it was with the probation service where I worked from 1972 to 1991 [not thinking of you as a client haha] Please message me if you remember Neville Johnson.

Hi Ray. I remember testing the Hobart motors very well, heavy things compared to most of the other stuff. I have often thought I knew your name but could never connect where from. For some reason thought it was with the probation service where I worked from 1972 to 1991 [not thinking of you as a client haha] Please message me if you remember Neville Johnson.
Hi I seem to remember the name can’t put a face to it. My dad worked in the machine shop in SM he was a machine sitter. Do you remember Trickle crane driver/truck driver used to drive a coach every from Norton Canes to GEC another one who was a comicused have his lunch by the tall stacks of CI stator castings. One he had his lunch and fell asleepjumping up when the bell went at 1.00 wrapped his lunch paper and throw it over the top of the castings falling in side the castings. Walking away he realised he took his teeth out and put in his lunch paper where was his lunch paper in the castings. He spent next hour searching for his teeth.
Have you been on GEC forum on Facebook ?

Hi Ray, Don't remember any of those guys you mentioned, but it was over 60 years ago I was there. I don't use Facebook so have not seen the GEC Forum, perhaps I should venture more !!

I posted on the forum a year ago about playing rugby against the 'GEC WITTON RUGBY CLUB', and the post match refreshments and food in the THE MAGNET CLUB. I'm just wondering if there is anyone out there who used to play for the club, and if they have any history and/or photos of it. As I said in my first post, GEC RFC eventually moved away and then merged with OLD CENTRALS RUGBY CLUB to form a totally new club called ALDRIDGE RUGBY CLUB. They play at Little Hardwick Lane, Streetly.
Hi Trevor/
I played for G.E.C. in the mid 60's and have lots of happy memories with a great bunch of blokes. I later moved over to Sutton Coldfield RFC which was my home club. We are roughly the same age so it's quite possible that we played opposite each other one Saturday afternoon.
If you are interested , I could give you some background info on the team and I also have some photographs of an end of season match between the 1'st and 2'nd teams-always a blood bath.
Best wishes, Mike Bond.

Hi Trevor/
I played for G.E.C. in the mid 60's and have lots of happy memories with a great bunch of blokes. I later moved over to Sutton Coldfield RFC which was my home club. We are roughly the same age so it's quite possible that we played opposite each other one Saturday afternoon.
If you are interested , I could give you some background info on the team and I also have some photographs of an end of season match between the 1'st and 2'nd teams-always a blood bath.
Best wishes, Mike Bond.

Hi Mike,

I somehow received your message above by e-mail as well, and this is the reply I sent you below. However, it came back as 'undelivered' probably because it wasn't your actual e-mail address. I would love to hear details and see photos of 'Witton Rugby Club' as we always knew you by, and I'll also see if I can dig out a couple of match reports myself.
Trev.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Mike,

Nice to hear from you and you're right, we could indeed have played against each other as I started playing for the Old Griffinians rfc at the start of the 1966/67 season when I was a couple of months past 20.

The club was formed in 1965 from us former old boys of Bournville Technical School in Griffins Brook Lane hence the name, and it broke my heart when the club disbanded about 5 years ago. We always had a feed from the school but when they stopped playing rugby, it was the beginning of the end.

There are other factors which have affected all clubs I suppose such as Saturdays now being part of the working week for many, plus other social changes as well. Clubs that always ran 4/5 teams for decades are now down to a single squad of perhaps 20/25 players i.e. just one team turning out.

As I said in my BHF post, I played for the 'Griffs' in the final match at the GEC ground, but the Magnet club upstairs was closed. As the changing area was fairly roomy as I recall, the barrels of beer had been brought down and sandwiches laid on. Both sides sang 'Auld Lang Syne', had a final toast, and we bid our 'goodbyes'. Quite sad as I recall.

We probably played GEC for about 22/23 years until they closed, and I remember one of the lads telling us that they trained under the lights of the overhead motorway/spaghetti junction ! Playing against the same people over the years, you get to know each other quite well - but I'm blowed if I can remember any of their names now.

Anyway Mike, if you've got any memorabilia or photos etc, I'd love to hear and see them, especially a photo of that fantastic pitch up on the shelf.

All the best,

Trevor Bow.

Hi there, Memories, well, I worked as a Welder firstly in the cabinets depts. my mate used to shut the shop down and test the insulators while we were at lunch over the road in the cafe, then moved into the Bedplate dept. where we welded bedplates for the big stators to sit upon.
Living in Doidge Rd. we, sister and neighbour would walk over the Skylark fields and the canal to work. They worked in the Small Motors area. Many Happy Memories. Seeya.

Hi there, Memories, well, I worked as a Welder firstly in the cabinets depts. my mate used to shut the shop down and test the insulators while we were at lunch over the road in the cafe, then moved into the Bedplate dept. where we welded bedplates for the big stators to sit upon.
Living in Doidge Rd. we, sister and neighbour would walk over the Skylark fields and the canal to work. They worked in the Small Motors area. Many Happy Memories. Seeya.
What year did your sister work in small motors dept. I was in the small motor test room for number of years until 1958

Hello Pedrocut,
Great photograph from the G.E.C. Operatic Society. When I started my Apprenticeship in the early 1960's, the starting wage was 30 shillings per week old money so by the end of the weekend I was broke.
I joined the Society for a couple of years working back stage making props etc. They did the full range of productions including plays and a Christmas Pantomime. The standard was very high helped by the wonderful facilities at the Magnet Club i.e. full size stage and workshops.
Regards, Mike.
Do any of you remember Peter Barton who used to produce all the plays and pantos? There was also a guy called Neville who worked on the scenery, a Les who also helped backstage and an Irishman called Brian Doyle who appeared in a lot of things. Among the girls I remember Shirley Lodge.

My Grandfather worked at General Electric in Witton in 1921. Harry Jones his wife was Leah Jones (Clayton). Leter after his wife died in 1923 he moved South.

Hello,
Just found the site and found it fascinating. My mom worked at the witton site from when she left school in 1954 till 1982 when she was made redundant. Her name was Margaret Gasson née Owens and she was a coil winder. Wonder if anyone might remember her

When you think of the number who worked for theGEC WITTON over the years, we have very few posts todate come on you witton nites lets get up & running.
MORE PHOTO & NAMES from the past Please
Hi,
My grandfather worked as a Draughtsman at GEC Witton. He was there in the 40s and Designed Submarines his name was Robert Venner. This is all the information I have.Has anybody got anymore information or photos or know him?

Jane Venner

Hi,
My grandfather worked as a Draughtsman at GEC Witton. He was there in the 40s and Designed Submarines his name was Robert Venner. This is all the information I have.Has anybody got anymore information or photos or know him?

Jane Venner
It’s not surprising that little is been heard from ex GEC workers I started in 1953 as apprentice fitter in the Big shop I’m 85. When I look back most of the staff was coming up to retirement, most of the staff had worked as reserved trade during the war years. I left 1963 with a number of ex apprentices because the future look bleak with the management thinking. It left a lot of staff in later years just looking for a short working life. C A Parsons took over and in the sixties orders for generating had taken a drive some existing contract was delayed due financial problems over seas orders dried up. Another problem with the GEC was as plant got bigger and heavier the was was very restricted which ever way plant left Witton it had limited weight restriction bridge to cross. I enjoyed my working years at Witton working in the different engineering departments from erection of generating plant to test hair dryers in DA. I will always be grateful to the fitter and tests staff Iworked with, giving me the chance to make a 27 year life in the CEGB when the nations electricity supply was sold off future wasn’t good so I took redundancy.I remember many of the people of distinction like Freddie Pitt & Dudley Poole mbm , Walter Colley, Percy Grimsley, George Ellis, Ralph Kay and the dreaded Jack Orton I will show you once and you’ll do it. RIP GEC Witton you was great

Hello I have a cash book for the Tool Room Ex -Apprentices and Apprentice Social Club .
all entries in my uncle Harry Peakman's writing presumably he was the secretary or treasurer.
I do have some photos and other bits of ephemera

Here are a few pictures of receipts for 1950 , does anyone recognise any names . it would appear that the ex-apprentices 3/- and the apprentices 2/-.

Hope they will be of interest

Attachments

• IMG_2336 (1).jpg
    IMG_2336 (1).jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2337 (1).jpg
    IMG_2337 (1).jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2338 (1).jpg
    IMG_2338 (1).jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 9
Hi, I've just come across this post looking for information on GEC Witton works during WW2. My mother (Kathlene Knapp) worked as a coil winder from around 1940 at the start of the war, she was originally a shop assistant until the war broke out, my father was a supervisor/inspector at GEC (George Kershaw). My mother told me she was in a long workshop with many women at work benches winding coils for ships and aircraft on piece work rates and soldering them using useless gas soldering irons. There were only two electric irons at the end of the workshop so each girl chose to get up, walk to the end to do the final soldering, wasting time and loosing money. My mum had had enough so just churned out as many coils as possible using the gas soldering irons. At the end of the shift the supervisor brought back a whole container load of failed coils, they were my mums, all the girls stopped and stared expecting her to get in trouble, instead my mum gave the supervisor a piece of her mind, what do you expect if you give us poor tools to do the work? I am not getting up and wasting time to use the electric irons, I will use the gas one you have given us, our boys deserve the best but we cant give them it if you don't provide adequate tools! The next day all the girls had new electric soldering irons on the benches. She also tells of going to work to find a big hole in the roof from a bombing raid the night before. My father proposed to my mum, and then volunteered but his boss tried to block him as it was a reserved occupation, as the RAF were loosing so many aircrew he had volunteered for the RAF and his boss could not stop him as reserved occupations could not block volunteers for air crew. Does anyone have any photos or info on GEC Witton works during the war? If not hope you find the above interesting.

Hi, I've just come across this post looking for information on GEC Witton works during WW2. My mother (Kathlene Knapp) worked as a coil winder from around 1940 at the start of the war, she was originally a shop assistant until the war broke out, my father was a supervisor/inspector at GEC (George Kershaw). My mother told me she was in a long workshop with many women at work benches winding coils for ships and aircraft on piece work rates and soldering them using useless gas soldering irons. There were only two electric irons at the end of the workshop so each girl chose to get up, walk to the end to do the final soldering, wasting time and loosing money. My mum had had enough so just churned out as many coils as possible using the gas soldering irons. At the end of the shift the supervisor brought back a whole container load of failed coils, they were my mums, all the girls stopped and stared expecting her to get in trouble, instead my mum gave the supervisor a piece of her mind, what do you expect if you give us poor tools to do the work? I am not getting up and wasting time to use the electric irons, I will use the gas one you have given us, our boys deserve the best but we cant give them it if you don't provide adequate tools! The next day all the girls had new electric soldering irons on the benches. She also tells of going to work to find a big hole in the roof from a bombing raid the night before. My father proposed to my mum, and then volunteered but his boss tried to block him as it was a reserved occupation, as the RAF were loosing so many aircrew he had volunteered for the RAF and his boss could not stop him as reserved occupations could not block volunteers for air crew. Does anyone have any photos or info on GEC Witton works during the war? If not hope you find the above interesting.
Great story Steve , welcome to The Forum, enjoy!

Back