• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

GEC Witton EDO 1965-1975

Thanks Richard, for the names of long forgoten pals & work mates.Some name you mention went on to PARSONS PEEBLES TYBURN ROAD with PROJECTS DEPT & OUTSIDE SERVICES.
I think Jim Allworth posted a photo of the staff at Tyburn road some time back?

This is the photo?
WHAT UP I CANNOT SEEM TO POST THIS PIC & IT WILL NOT LET ME DELETE?

Last edited:
If you look at the back row in the middle the guy with the dark glasses its Jim Allworth, Ted Richards is standing behind the guy in the white shirt on the left next to Viv Horder the one with the grey hair, Allen Parry is at the front next to Di Baldry.
HOPE ALL THIS IS CLEAR?
Do you remember Ken Matther or Ray Ashdown both on this photo we all shared a car for 6 years, when my self Jim Allworth & these guys got jobs at GEC RUGBY.
Wow you just keep comming up with more names from my past, THANKS.
THE BARON (ASTON)

Hi Richard, the photo of us at TYBURN RD was if my memory is functioning? around 1996, I AM THE GUY NEXT TO SID WALKER BEHIND THE YOUNG LADY who is standing FAR LEFT FRONT ROW (me with the shades) Gordon Wall, is standing just behind me.
If you look RIGHT AT THE BACK next to Ajimal the guy in the turban you will see Bob Baldry.
Do you remember a Paul Lewis, Kurt Russell, they would be about your era? or may be just a little later, both worked in field servises when we became Parons Peebles.
I wished we could get Jim Allworth to reply to this tread or the P.M.s I have sent him, He have so many memories of when you & he were Apprentices togther,
KEEP THE NAMES COMMING.

Last edited:
Would that Rod you speak of be ROD WILLIAMS? he worked in Field Services when we become Parsons.
You also mention JOAN HUNT & STEVE. I remember giveing them a lift to the ALBION v VILLA match at the Hawthorns when Steve was about 14, it sticks out in my mind what Steve said at that time " I WOULD LOVE TO PLAY FOR THE VILLA" His Mom gave him all she could to make that come true. (Do you remember when She used to have cake on that trolly)
If I get time I WILL TRY TO PUT NAMES TO THE ONE'S I KNOW ON THE PIC;

Hi, one of my brain storms it was KURT WRIGHT not RUSSELL.
I attach the photo again with names I remember over the faces, you my have to download & zoom in to see all as I have had to reduce size of names just to fit.
If you can add more please do I will then be able to complete my records of the day.

Dennis Arrowsmith was on the same union committ'ee as my self after I had take over the astms chair from TOM BLEWITT.
Thanks for the added names & the others that now come to mind, wow it strange how you can work with some one for a number of years and yet never forget names and others just do not stick.
Thanks again Keith
THE BARON (ASTON)

Does anyone remember any of the girls who worked in the drawing offices?

PAT, "Joy STRAFFORD" Took over office fileing from a older lady I think her name was Connie? in RPD ESTERMATING.
I REMEMBER a good looking young blonde girl worked in EDO TURBO SEC when I started at witton in the 50s. She was a twin her sister worked at witton too but donot know were.
Then we had Over the bridge from addmin block The Typing Pool girls , Anita Powell, Shirley Tobin.
Jill Dodds & Zeina in telephone exchange.
Diane Bevan Supplys Dept.
Val Samson Sec to Brian Lee Commercial Mangaer Parsons.

Last edited:
Hi RICHARD, That would TOM & EILEEN CHATHAM he worked in the same office space As me (see photo of me at my desk other thread, Tom worked just over the gangway) Old Eng Block for Cost /Estermating /Projects. Eileen worked in Buying Office
YES those were the Twins I remember from EDO & Buying Dept.was it not CAROL that worked in EDO?

i started at the gec in 1965 aged 15yrs in the LRPD division as an office junior. my name at that time was christine sutton. i remember alf egginton, wilf cross, joyce gilbert, mrs wilkinson, herbert albinson, theresa small and william wilson.

i learnt all the office areas one by one. i used to work the comptometer and finally ended up in the wages dept with mr thompson (the boss) and mrs wilkinson, theresa small and mr tomlinson. we would put up all the wages every week in the little brown packets. most of the men on nights got about £25-£30. when mr thompson retired, terry doidge took over in the wages dept.

when the gec was broken up i started to work for stewart ellison in magnet computer bureau (on the same site) until i left in 1975 as my first baby was due.

i often went to the magnet club for lunch and also on an evening to play snooker. it was very much frowned on in those days for a WOMAN to be playing snooker!

at xmas even though i was only 15 i was taken to the pub and bought drinks, and many of the office workers would be very drunk on the last day.

chris

chris, I was with LRPD SALES/CONTRACTS AROUND THAT TIME & THEN PARSONS PEEPLES PROJECTS. UP TILL THE TIME WE LEFT FOR TYBURN ROAD OFFICE.
Did you work in the open plan office with no windows but for the ones in the Drawing office section run by Alan Parry.I worked for Brian Lee at that time just over the other side of the of office from Alf Eggington & the folks you speak of.
Lets know any more names you recall?
THE BARON (ASTON)

at the beginning in 1965 we were right on the top floor. ive remembered that mr rooke was the boss up there. also other names i recall are gerald roberts, mrs sayers, mr freeth, mr lakin and mrs tunnadine. i didnt always know their first names as we were always told to call them by their surnames. probably because i was only young.

later we moved across to the open plan office and it was called parsons peebles but i wasnt there long before i started at magnet computer bureau.

one day in abt 1966 when i was going up all the stairs to the top floor, i fainted and fell down quite a few stairs and knocked unconscious. i was carried over to the medical centre and had to have heat treatment on the lump on my head for a couple of weeks. i still have the lump now!

no sorry baron i dont remember those names at all but i was very much isolated in a small office with stewart ellison. i had to pay all the bills, ie. send all the cheques out and also chase up payments coming in.

chris

Chris have you put GEC WITTON WORKS into the Search at the top of the page, you may see some names from the past?
Keith

Hi

Was Dave Jenny the one with blond hair?

I worked at Magnet from 1965 to 1969.

Anyone remember me? - Mike Higgins

Yes Prof, DAVID JENNEY did has blond hair he is also my Brother, he worked in MAGNET COMPUTER OFFICE in the Admin Block I will ask him about mike higgins

attachment.php

Well here's a motley crew from 2DO celebrating at a stag back in about 1958. I am seated on the far left with a glass at the ready. I cannot remember all the names here except the three sitting dead center against the drapes. They are Colin ? Paul, Sid Hackett and section leader Stan Clives. As you can see Sid is the only one not laughing as he was always the one cracking the jokes. As someone has already mentioned it was a tradition to march people who were about to get wed down the office to the beat of the waste paper bins. He omitted to tell of the victim's decorated workspace adorned with pictures of somewhat questionable taste embellished with rather graphic double entendre quotes cut out of engineering magazines. It makes me wonder at times how on earth we ever completed any drawings.

Just had this reply from my Siter in law Jill Jenney
"YES.. We both remember Mike Higgins.. Nice guy. Quieter than most. Slightly built, maybe 5ft 7Ins
in height... Possibly 4 years younger than us... He was a computer operator.
Bill Pittaway was the character most people would recall... He emigrated to Canada. Haven't heard
anything of him since. Though I'm not sure if he was gone before Mike Higgins joined Magnet.
Worth a try... Ask him if he remembers the party in the basement at Ken Parton's quirky house
in Sutton Coldfield...? It was an eye opener for me all round... Couldn't believe what those
men in our office were like, especially the bosses. He he"

Back