• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Gas Holders in Birmingham

Eric and mw0njm
Many thanks for your info. Railways, utilities, the list could go on and now on your buses it could be NX Stagecoach. SORRY MODS SLIPPED OFFTHEME THERE. I have slapped my wrist
Bob

Some years ago my dad, Norman Williams, wrote these words about his time working for the Gas Board in Birmingham (1948-52).

'I applied to the Birmingham Corporation Gas Department as they wanted men to train and work in their laboratories. The applicants should have a school certificate in Maths, Physics and Chemistry. I was offered a job as a junior chemist. I started at the Central Laboratory on the Gasworks at Nechells at the beginning of April 1948.

My first morning job was to go on the roof of the Central Laboratory and record data including maximum and minimum temperature in degrees F, wet / dry bulb temps i.e. humidity, barometric pressure and wind speed – I’ve maintained an interest in weather since then. Weather conditions often determined gas demands and helped to predict demands. Other work included analysing coals, cokes, viscosity of tars, flashpoints of tars, calculating British Thermal Units (BThUs) of gases i.e. heat values using a Boys Calorimeter Test'.

Unfortunately dad's memory is not so good (he is 95) but he was interested when I told him about the demolition of the gas holders at Windsor Street

Last edited:
Perhaps an error in transcription but the calorimeter was devised by Sir Charles Boys F.R.S.

Always facinating to read about how people did their jobs, especially those involving science and technology.

1. Are there any gasometers still standing in Birmingham? I remember some at Saltley, Aston and one other place, was it Washwood Heath?
2. Do you all remember how natural gas was the ultimate solution to our heating and etc needs?
3. Remind me how was gas made, was coke involved?
Bob
We could see the Nechells ones from our bedroom window in Hodge Hill Also had a good view of the cooling towers , although from ground level you would never have known they were there.

Your gas holder link popped this up on my computer on a red page Morturrn

This site has been reported as unsafe​

Hosted by heritagecalling.com​

Microsoft recommends you don’t continue to this site. It has been reported to Microsoft for containing misleading content that could lead you to lose personal info, financial data and even money.
Go back
More information
Microsoft Defender SmartScreen

No problems with the site on my iPad and no problem on my Win 11 laptop with Defender guarding. I've switched off the Defender Smartscreen feature because it was too fussy.

Only ones I remember were the ones in Saltley, for some reason did the number 8 inner circle bus go past them. This is the only way I think I would have past them as a child . I think the outer circle 11 bus would have been on a route further out the city. You could smell when you we’re getting close.

Only ones I remember were the ones in Saltley, for some reason did the number 8 inner circle bus go past them. This is the only way I think I would have past them as a child . I think the outer circle 11 bus would have been on a route further out the city. You could smell when you we’re getting close.
I can still recall vividly this view from the upper deck of the No. 8, can you imagine the view from the back windows of the houses.

Attachments

• Nechells Place 1968.jpg
    Nechells Place 1968.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 10
no probs with site thanks morton

Last edited:
was the tank floating in water? there must have been one heck of a hole beneath a full tank, and where did the water go as the tank descends :eek:

a bit more gas holder geekness

was the tank floating in water? there must have been one heck of a hole beneath a full tank, and where did the water go as the tank descends :eek:
With the framed gasholders common in Birmingham, there was indeed quite a hole that was filled with water. If you imagine the gasholder to be like an upturned tin can, it did not displace much water as the gas was used up and it sank down.

There were of course both telescopic gasholders, like the one on the M6 just before Wolverhampton. There were also a few waterless gasholders where the floor inside would slide up and down. There was one in Coventry.

I once met a guy who had been inside the gasholders to knock out the dents. He had to craw through the gas main into the centre of the lake where a raft was anchored to the main where it stuck out of the water. He rowed across to the sides where he then used a big wooden sledgehammer to bash out the dents. He said it was only the inward dents he had to do, as these could cause the side of the gasholder to buckle under their own weight. Certainly, a job I would not fancy doing. I am sure he said they may have been damage in WWII. My grandfather worked at Nechells Gasworks also said they were damaged in WWII as well.

Just before WW2 someone decided that the gas holders near Windsor Street needed to be camouflaged. Perhaps when this aerial photo was taken they had only painted on one colour because left like shown it doesn't look very camouflaged
CamouflageGasHolder.jpg
image source 'britainfromabove'

National Grid video of Windsor Street Gasholders.

My great-grandfather was the manager of a small gas works in a small town. There was a single gas holder outside the boundary wall of the gasworks that survived the closure of the works after a high-pressure main was extended from a nearby larger town. I can just about remember the gas works in operation as my nana didn't like the smell of fish bones/waste so they got wrapped up then taken across the road to be put in a fire in the gas works.
After the gas works was demolished the perimeter wall remained and the site was still owned by the area gas board. When natural gas was introduced they used the compound to store rows and rows of obsolete gas cookers.

When we were looking for Mike's gasholder I started a pdf index for aerial photos of Britains gas works. For what it's worth here it is with 45 image links. It works in Edge and Chrome, click the gasworks name, usual pdf controls. When opened it can be saved.

For more detail about particular gasworks note the 'britainfromabove' number and go to their website..

Last edited:
When we were looking for Mike's gasholder I started a pfd index for aerial photos of Britains gas works. For what it's worth here it is with 45 image links. It works in Edge and Chrome, click the gasworks name, usual pdf controls. When opened it can be saved.

For more detail about particular gasworks note the 'britainfromabove' number and go to their website..
Super stuff, thank you.

PS it works in Firefox too.

Here are a super set of photos from a social media site. Not seen images like this before, so am fascinated to see the gasholder under construction.

Photo caption:

1889 - Nechells Place Nechells Birmingham - The City Gas Works, better known as Nechells Gas Works was in Nechells Place - Image by Birmingham Old Prints, Photographs & Maps 1600 - 1900

299128427_5770032623009143_6391078525386662029_n.jpg299131377_5770033976342341_6875875866874328929_n.jpg299327283_5770030636342675_6569337914188240949_n.jpg299353007_5770032206342518_6719837998586927619_n.jpg299367142_5770033586342380_2878395034849784130_n.jpg299466496_5770033083009097_512928006092348482_n.jpg

Super stuff, thank you.

PS it works in Firefox too.
A picture for the database is a picture of the Mannesman Gas Holder sited at Foleshill Gas Works Coventry, the design of this holder was unique; as they were waterless and had one module.
You could access the holder by a door at the top as they worked on a bicycle pump principle, where the piston would move up as the holder took on capacity, and moved down as demand grew.
Inside the holder and strung from the roof on pulley systems were concrete blocks which during town gas times would be lowered onto the piston to increase pressure on the network
The first time you entered the holder was quite surreal, but what a view of Warickshire from the top

Attachments

• cov gh 2.jpg
    cov gh 2.jpg
    843.4 KB · Views: 7
Picture of the original area where the gas holder in Windsor Street stood, you can see the original circular base / rim in the backfill, I have more pics on a data stick ( If I can remember where it is) you can see the flats towards Bloomsbury St in the background
1667852328183.jpeg

I can recall when you could walk from the WMGB garage in Duddeston / Saltley via Nechells gas yard and Holder site all the way to Bromford Road WMGB stores , etc and not leave WMGB land .
The route was from the garage under the bridge into Nechells yard over the old railway for the then Central Electricity Generating Board (CEGB) Station onto Bromford site parallel with the Tyburn Rd and come on to Bromford Road via the British Steel site .

Back