• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Garrison Lane Pubs

hi peaky and welcome to the forum..what a great story about the garrison and letting the dog out to clear the customers and that family photo is smashing.. lovely to see the old tin bath being put to use outdoors lol

lyn

Thanks Lyn for your welcome to the forum. I'm having a great time searching the romantic view of what my past was about. Sad at times seeing all the places I used to play with my poor starving friends...Now all demolished and full of ghosts of the past. Best Wishes. Steve (Peaky) x

glad you are enjoying the forum steve...and yes times were tough back in the day but i would not change my childhood for all the tea in china...if you need any help with anything just give us a shout...

lyn

I was knocked over by the Acorn in 1971, which resulted in the zebra crossing being put there. There was also a pub halfway up Garrison Lane hill opposite the Carrs Paint factory entrance. Black horse maybe??

HI MONNER
iT APPEARS that junction was very notoriuos for accidents in1961-62 my best mate was taking his girl friend home
on his motor bike she was the pavillion on the back just out side the acorns pub where it happenend he died emediately on inpact
she survived but for years after there was an injury or a fatal my friend tony was only 17 years old ;
best wishes Astonian;;;

There was also a pub halfway up Garrison Lane hill opposite the Carrs Paint factory entrance. Black horse maybe??

I think the next pub up from the Acorn was the Sportsman Inn, then the George at Tilton road.
weren't Carr's Paints in Artillery St?
nick

hi brummie nick ;
speaking of paint do you or anybody recalls the postmans paint factory that use to next to a little cafe
on Aston church rd aston; way back in the fiftys and sixtys there was a batch of little tiny houses next to it as well
best wishes Astonian;;

I remember it being there and one of my mates who was an apprentice with me went to work as a salesman there. He rode a Talisman Twin motorbike, but sorry I can't remember is name. It was just up the road from Toroni's scrapyard.

Hi Folks .. I just found out today that my Uncle Tom did bare fist fighting in the Garrison around the 50s and 60s . He had 12 fights won 10 and lost only 2. His name was Kid Payton. In his later years in the 1980s as an old man he just went there to play Dominoes. Some people knew him to be Jack Payton . His full name was John William Payton . Been away from BFH for a year and Im so glad to be back :)
Happy New Year all

My Uncle John Reynolds and wife Ann were the publicans at the Garrison Tavern (1960's) and on the third floor there was a boxing ring that was used for private fist fights early in the 1900's. John's pub dog was named Brutus and he would release him into the pub to clear the customers when the final bell rang. The Peaky Blinders hung out in this pub early 1900's.
12347582_1495453577424714_4138457662266069030_n.jpg

Hi Folks .. I just found out today that my Uncle Tom did bare fist fighting in the Garrison around the 50s and 60s . He had 12 fights won 10 and lost only 2. His name was Kid Payton. In his later years in the 1980s as an old man he just went there to play Dominoes. Some people knew him to be Jack Payton . His full name was John William Payton . Been away from BFH for a year and Im so glad to be back :)
Happy New Year all
There are quite a number of reports of him doing more conventional boxing in the newspapers of the 1930s

cracking photo of the garrison peaky...cant believe i have only just noticed your post...great info to go with the photo...many thanks...for anyone with an interest the pub was closed for quite some time but has recently been bought for above the asking price and i believe it is hoped it will stay a pub....i for one certainly hope so

lyn

I lived around the corner from there in Gordon St in the '60s never knowing what a 'peaky blinder' history the Garrison had!
My dad preferred the Acorn across the road on the corner of Barwell Rd.

lynn the last time i was in the garrison some years back i had no idea about the connection with the peakies....when it re opens i shall be paying another visit to it....

lyn

my grandfather Bill Thomas was a pro boxer between 1924 and 1939 his club was the Garrison ABC
i have a number of news clipping from his fights in the Garrison Tavern around the mid 20s
here is one of the clipping saying fights were a weekly event

garrison gym.jpg

thank you for sharing that snippet with us rich..sounds like your grandad was a very good boxer..if you have any photos of him would love to see them

lyn

D5C158A1-7B48-4906-83FE-2D29E2790A4A.jpeg Hi Lyn
The sad thing is my mum never grew up with her dad and we only have one photo not very clear he is the fighter on the right

cracking photo of the garrison peaky...cant believe i have only just noticed your post...great info to go with the photo...many thanks...for anyone with an interest the pub was closed for quite some time but has recently been bought for above the asking price and i believe it is hoped it will stay a pub....i for one certainly hope so

lyn

It is a good photo. I lived in Witton Street, and it was part of my "landscape." It's weird to think of it having a boxing ring.
The little shop next door was Rene's when I lived there, and I think later it became a small supermarket. The bus stop was just outside.

in that case rich that photo is even more precious to you and your family...i would imagine it was taken at the garrison...if ok with you i am going to post it under our pic restoration thread as some of our members are pretty good at it ironing out the creases:D

lyn

Last edited:
here you go rich....maybe worth printing off and framing....this is thanks to our member jonob for his efforts

lyn

Bill Thomas on right 31122017  redo.jpg

it is a good improvement rich glad you like it..but as i said the thanks goes to jonob....no way could i work out how to use these restoration programmes..no tecnical enough

all the best

lyn

The Garrison - closed down in 2012. Made famous by Peaky Blinders.

Went past the former Sportsman pub on Garrison Lane. Looks like it's been closed down for over 4 years?

The Royal George looks open.

Last edited:
if memory serves me right i think the garrison has now been bought and will be re opening as a pub

lyn

Back