• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Garrison Lane Pubs

deritendboy

Brummie babby
Can anyone remember the name of some of the demolished pubs in Garrison Lane.
I go in the Sportsman on match days when the Blues are at home but I seem to remember a hostelry lower down the hill on the same side?
Was the Garrison always called the Garrison?
I remember The Sailor on the corner of Watery Lane and the Chain higher up, although I don't think that was it's given name.
Also the maltshovel in Palmer Street, but after that I am struggling.:dft005:

The 1950 and 1964 Kellys list: The Acorn (at 119), The Sportsman, The Royal Exchange (at 325) on one side of the road, and The Garrison Tavern (at 110) on the othein 1890 the Garrison Tavern was known as the Garrison inn, but had changed to Tavern by 1933.
Mike

Thanks Mike, the one I am thinking of is possibly the Acorn, with the Rayal Exchange I think on the corner of Tilton Road, but I may be wrong, I am sure someone will put the record straight.

deritend boy

In actuality there were not that many pubs on Garrison Lane, in the 50's & 60's that is. There were four only then. The rest would have been off Garrison Lane or on Cattell Rd or Watery Lane.

There was,

Jct Tilton Rd The Royal George
Jct Gray St Sportsman Inn
Jct Barwell Rd Acorn Inn

And on the other side of the road

Jct Witton St Garrison Tavern

Perhaps this photo of the Acorn might refresh your memory.

Phil

SmallHeathAcornGarrisonLane-BarwellRd.jpg

deritend boy

In actuality there were not that many pubs on Garrison Lane, in the 50's & 60's that is. There were four only then. The rest would have been off Garrison Lane or on Cattell Rd or Watery Lane.

There was,

Jct Tilton Rd The Royal George
Jct Gray St Sportsman Inn
Jct Barwell Rd Acorn Inn

And on the other side of the road

Jct Witton St Garrison Tavern

Perhaps this photo of the Acorn might refresh your memory.

Phil

Dont suppose by any slim chance you have a photo of Coachsmiths Arms Watery Lane Small Heath please?

Sorry Suze

I have been asked this before and had to reply no. But as I am sure I have seen one somewhere I am still on the lookout and If I do come across one you will be among the first to know.

Phil

Sorry Suze

I have been asked this before and had to reply no. But as I am sure I have seen one somewhere I am still on the lookout and If I do come across one you will be among the first to know.

Phil

Oh ok thanks. Anything that might be of or about the area would be interesting. I tried to find a map of it even...no go there either

Suze

A couple of photos of where it used to be if they are of any use. In the first one it would have stood where the hoardings are on the right. In the second one it is looking in the other direction and the hoardings are on the left.

I find it hard to believe that Mikejee couldn't find you a map.

Phil

SmallHeathWateryLane1960.jpg
SmallHeathWateryLanetowardsSailorsReturn.jpg

Suze

A couple of photos of where it used to be if they are of any use. In the first one it would have stood where the hoardings are on the right. In the second one it is looking in the other direction and the hoardings are on the left.

I find it hard to believe that Mikejee couldn't find you a map.

Phil

Thanks very much for these.
I wonder when it was demolished then. Could somebody with a "Kellys" work it out I wonder

Thanks for the photo's Phil, it was the Acorn I was thinking of, with the picture confirming it.
The Coachsmith's which Suze refers to, was known to my old man and his pals as the Chain, and as teenager just progressing from Vimto to Beer under there expert guidance, the Chain it was for me also.
I do not know why the alternative name, or how widespread it's use perhaps someone may know.
Regards.

Phil is, of course, quite right. it was the Royal George, not Royal Exchange. It was written clear enough - i must have a had a little turn !.
Suze
I seem ot have missed out somewhat. Is it Garrison lane you want a map of ?
Mike

on the subject of the acorn ,we lived next door as you look up the street, moms second hand shop ,it was 1967or1968. we had a big shed in the yard it was full of peat , jet black earth. i mean a big shed ,and none of us knew what this was for .it was very deep, and we had two great big doors leading off the street going into the yard ,like an entrance for old coaches back in the day, also i remember behind that yard, was broadhursts scrap yard, can anyone tell me via kellys , was this shop all part of the pub in the begining ,and was there a coach house there ,as this has always puzzeled me ,i was only eleven years old when i lived there .incidently no one would go in this shed only me .diggin and found a silver match container maybe victorian.harley thanks for any help .

Harley
In Kellys, the Acorn ( at no 119) seems to first be mentioned between 1890 and 1892, though not by name, just as beer retailer. No 119 is not listed before, nor Barwell St .No 121 (which I take it is the shop you mean next door) is not listed, but appears in 1895 as a draper. which, under various owners, it seems to remain. There is no record of 119 and 121 being together, though for a short time 121 and 123 were under one ownership (as a draper).
Mike

Phil is, of course, quite right. it was the Royal George, not Royal Exchange. It was written clear enough - i must have a had a little turn !.
Suze
I seem ot have missed out somewhat. Is it Garrison lane you want a map of ?
Mike

Hi Mike,its Watery Lane I am interested in cos of my Grandad having the Coachsmiths Arms. I would love to be able to tell my Mum something about it,when it was built when it was demolished:)() etc. What I am doing is saving the photos on my lap top and when I go down to Bewdley to see her,will show them to her. I wonder if I can copy and paste all the memories into a Word document,am just going to try. So thanks for your interest and all and any contributions to my familys social history is very gratefully accepted.

My father was born in Garrison Lane in 1929, number 192 I think. He often told me that the house he was born in used to be a pub??? Although no name is known. I was told that the pub was closed down due to the 'Garrison Lane Vendetta' - anyone else heard of this?? The vendetta was supposedly between 2 families in the area and resulted in a stabbing in the pub.

On the subject of Garrison La, you
might find these interesting.

I can remember a shop that was supposed to be haunted, about half way between Tilton Rd and Venetia rd, on the same side. Could have just been a kids wind up though.

I can remember a shop that was supposed to be haunted, about half way between Tilton Rd and Venetia rd, on the same side. Could have just been a kids wind up though.

Thats all very grim..The story and the setting

Thats all very grim..The story and the setting

Not Garrison La how I remember it.........

Wonder where those houses could have been. Only place I can think of is either where the park is, or where the Holmes flats are.

Can anybody decipher the chalked writing on the wall ?

Not Garrison La how I remember it.........

Wonder where those houses could have been. Only place I can think of is either where the park is, or where the Holmes flats are.

Can anybody decipher the chalked writing on the wall ?

Would he have been on the 1881 census? Would they have been able to write? I have seen marriage certificates from my family and the bride and or groom put a X for their signature

the 'Garrison Lane Vendetta' - anyone else heard of this??

My Father used to talk about the 'Garrison Lane Vendetta' when the police used to patrol round in pairs not singly, I think it was more of a 'Gang' related thing, than family.

Nick

the shop next to the acorn pub.when we lived there ,you are right it was twinned up to the next shop ,because when i was upstairs i walked along the landing in the dark and through the wall i could see a light, on investigation i was petrified as i saw an old woman proped up in bed ,and i had never seen this before. i got over the shock and it was a tiny crack in some planks of wood papered over . i peeped through and it was the old mother of the lady next door ,who was bedridden,even in the sixties she had an old mop cap on and old bedclothes of the victorian period .i was scared stiff poor woman ,when i think now how lonely she must of been.so this must of been a divide, to divide the building upstairs ,as it would of been one big building. before we moved there it was the pet shop so i was told next door that had closed down .probably explains why we were overun with mice too .still dont know why all the peat in the shed, as a kid i imagined all sorts. dead bodies, creepy crawlies ,ha ha .

looking at the negative, it seems to me definetly childs doodles, as the person has drawn a picture of a girl or boy and wrote beside it , twice .lookes like alice then moo. oh and lest i forget ,thanks mike for your help with the kellys book, harley. spot on ,

I remember the Royal George on the corner of Tilton Rd & Garrison Lane well,it had an outdoor attatched to it on the Tilton Rd side.I lived in Tilton Rd at number 45 until 1967.I went to school with the landlords, son their surname was Bath.Quite a small pub,but nice living quarters.As kids we had some great times there, learned how to play darts,cards and dominos and I can still smell the mixture of beer & tobacco now, just writing about it!

Re the small heath vendetta,it was between two gang's the"peaky blinders"were one gang they were called this because they stitched razor blades into the peaks of their caps,nutting enemies in fights.Both my sets of Grandparents were born and lived in small heath all their lives and as kids my sisters and I were often told these stories.I wish I could remember more of them.

Was thi it ?
Lifted from. https://www.paranormaldatabase.com/hotspots/birmingham.php

Arrested for stabbing someone. Wonder if that was in Garrison Lane.
Location: Birmingham - Private house along Garrison Lane, Small Heath
Type: Haunting Manifestation
Date / Time: 1963
Further Comments: Identified by a medium as Samuel Greatrex, this ghost created loud knocks, rattled chains, and generated footsteps day and night. It was later discovered that Greatrex had been arrested for stabbing someone and had died during his time in prison. When occupier Mrs Keogh moved away, Greatrex followed her
na.gif

Samuel Greatrex Returns

Location: Birmingham - Private house along Upper Thomas Street, Aston
Type: Haunting Manifestation
Date / Time: 1964 onwards
Further Comments: Mrs Keogh fled her previous residence to escape the phantom Samuel Greatrex, but the ghost accompanied her, as did the loud raps it created Through a medium, Greatrex apologised to Mrs Keogh and promised to quieten down.
na.gif

My Uncle John Reynolds and wife Ann were the publicans at the Garrison Tavern (1960's) and on the third floor there was a boxing ring that was used for private fist fights early in the 1900's. John's pub dog was named Brutus and he would release him into the pub to clear the customers when the final bell rang. The Peaky Blinders hung out in this pub early 1900's.

STEVE 001.jpg
Me (Steve) and my brother (Marsh) filling our swimming pool with Mom's new saucepans. We lived at No. 14 Victoria Avenue, Mole Street, Sparkbrook.

Back