• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Garfield Cycles

zzf00l

master brummie
Does anyone have a photo of Garfield Cycles in Sutton Road, Erdington? It has been replaced I think by the Car Dealership Complex opposite the Abbey. I can still smell the mixture of new bikes and pipe smoke!:)

The place where Garfields was is now a takeawy, the building is the same, I will take a pc of it and put it here, when I have the time. I remember that smell in old bike shops, sort of leather and grease, and yes pipe smoke !

hi guys
speaking of cycle shops there was a well known cycle shop of brand new cycles and it was ran by a mr clews of monument rd
a very peasant man and always had rosy red cheeks he also had a little petrol station along side his shop on king edwards rd and he empolyed and
he empoyed a very nice german guy for his astintant and he was also a former cycle champion in the early years of the forties if i remember correctly
or earlt than that and he always wore a bob hat all the years around with his snowwy coloued hair
he lived up the city rd edbaston in a big house his shop was also the same with pipe tobbaco smells and of rubber
i beleive he was around before the days of tommy goodwin does any body remember him
he was there from the forties to the seventys before the slum clearance began
best wishes astonion

Sorry to have to tell you that when I cleared my dads house in 1994, after his death, all the photo albums of the family business had disappeared. You are right - the site is now part of the Collier used car dealership. The address by the way was not Sutton Rd, as most people thought, but 2-4 High St. I never realised before that the shop smelt of pipe smoke, I guess I must have been used to it.

Hi world traveller.

I remember your Dad as a tallish man with glasses and a pipe... I think he wore a 'cowgown'. I think your Mom worked in the shop as well!

Ian

Yes he had this tradition of wearing starched white shop coats, which were laundered by the laundry Summer Lane. My mother started working in the shop about 1952, when my dad went in to the Queen Elizabeth hospital for a gall stone operation. It was supposed to be a temporary arrangement as she was a tailoress by trade, but she finished up working in the shop until they retired

Tommy Goodwin was in the news recently, he died last year having made 90. I saw a photo of him in the national press holding his prized penny farthing bicycle. He was famous for winning a bronze medal in the 1948 olympics.
Life was rather different for top flight athletes in those days. They lived in old army accommodation during the games and Tommys mother cooked them spam and chips. When he went back to work as an electrician, it was said -you won a medal -yes he said -well the job for today is ...

Hi World Traveller - there is a thread about Tommy's passing here which was started by his friend and Forum Member, Graham Webb.

Back