• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Gameson cycles

Billy Gameson had a shop on Golden Hillock Rd that I went to a lot in the early 1950s This is where I had him build my frame and forks

Hi, do you happen to know what your frame number was?
Is possible Charlie Holland helped source this (frame no 204) for Colin Taylor, based on the description of the purchas she has given. However it is too big to have been one of the frames he'd of ridden.

Hi, do you happen to know what your frame number was?
Is possible Charlie Holland helped source this (frame no 204) for Colin Taylor, based on the description of the purchas she has given. However it is too big to have been one of the frames he'd of ridden.
I did ride some club rides with Charlie in 1949 he and his brothers very strong riders. Charlie was very muscular, but not tall. I am 5'5" was a bit taller than me. The only bike I saw him ride was a twin tube Moorson or a Raleigh. Bill Gameson made a lot of frames for club riders. I have no idea of the frame # if mine, it has long gone Colin Taylor does ring a bell but not sure just who he is.

I did ride some club rides with Charlie in 1949 he and his brothers very strong riders. Charlie was very muscular, but not tall. I am 5'5" was a bit taller than me. The only bike I saw him ride was a twin tube Moorson or a Raleigh. Bill Gameson made a lot of frames for club riders. I have no idea of the frame # if mine, it has long gone Colin Taylor does ring a bell but not sure just who he is.

Many thanks, I'm enjoying the research of this bike. The seat tube is 23.5 and the top tube 22.5, so definitely not Charlie's, although he may have helped Colin get hold of a suitable frame. I think Colin taught chemistry and ended up as a lecture at Liverpool poly. Tommy Godwin rode a Gameson at the 1947 world track championships and I've been told Charlie rode a Major Nichols at some point. Gameson also built for MN and a few others. It must have been great riding in those days. Cheers Graham

Last edited:
Many thanks, I'm enjoying the research of this bike. The seat tube is 23.5 and the top tube 22.5, so definitely not Charlie's, although he may have helped Colin get hold of a suitable frame. I think Colin taught chemistry and ended up as a lecture at Liverpool poly. Tommy Godwin rode a Gameson at the 1947 world track championships and I've been told Charlie rode a Major Nichols at some point. Gameson also built for MN and a few others. I must have been great riding in those days. Cheers Graham

Ps, I've just bought the book "dancing up hills" written by Frances Holland, wife or daughter I guess.

I have my Fathers Gameson frame from the 50s which he used to race on. Along with my moms Holdsworth frame.

Attachments

• 20210313_223009.jpg
    20210313_223009.jpg
    387.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 20210313_223537.jpg
    20210313_223537.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
Back