• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Gallant Conduct Award

P

Premo

Hi

Here is one for the millatery buffs, my grandfather George Barber was a sergeant in the RFA in the First World War, I have his medals and a gallant conduct award,
Someone asked me the other day if there was a medal that went with this award, I had to be honest and say that I hadn’t a clue, if anyone can throw any light on the subject I would be most interested in hearing from you.

My second question is and this is a long shot, I have a group photo of my granddad and his mates but does anyone know where it might be?

Thanks David

Hi David: I'm not a military buff at all. However, you may find out some information on this web site about the Guards Division and links to information regarding them.https://www.1914-1918.net/gdiv.htm
Going by what's listed re where the Guards served it looks as though that photo is somewhere in France. Good luck.

Premo, the Gallant Conduct Award did not have medal awarded with it, the Certificate which you have was the award. Len.

Thanks Jennyann, its more than likely France and Lencops thank you for your answer, I guess the obvious question from there would-be do you know what these awards were for, or is it as the award says he had preformed some kind of gallant act!!
Or did most soldiers receive one?
Does anyone know how to decipher the info on a medal card apart from the obvious i.e. rank, reg number, etc?

Thanks, David

Had a look at his medal card. He went overseas on 11 September 1914.

He qualified for three medals. The 1914 Star, the Victory and the War Medal. These were known as Pip, Squeak and Wilfred. It was quite common for men to get a conduct award.

On his medal card it states that he was entered into the 1915 Star Roll by mistake, but this was later changed to the 1914 Star Roll.

Terry

Hi Terry

And thank you for your reply, I have a number of things that belonged to my granddad his medals being one, I also have his enlistment papers (file attached) 21st battery RFA dated 3 Jan 1906, do you know what conflicts that division might have fought in?

I have also looked at his star medal and it has 1914 in the middle and Aug top and Nov bottom, what’s the difference between the 1915 and the 1914 apart from the year.

Thanks again, David

Here is a link to explain about the 1914 Star:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1914_Star

The 21st Brigade RFA was a Regular Army brigade in 1906. It may not have been the one he went to war with. If he joined in 1906, he could have been back in civilian life by 1914 on the Reserve list and then called up on the outbreak of war.

Is there any info in his service papers?

Terry

So from the date on his medal card 11 Sep 1914 it looks like my granddad was up to his neck in muck and bullets from the start of the 1st world war and fought in France and Belgium must have been hell.
The only papers I have are his enlistment papers and they state he was transferred to the army reserve on the 2 Jan 1909 and recalled at the outbreak of the 1st world war, he served in the RFA throughout the war, when he was made a sergeant I have no idea.
I think it would be nice to know who we are talking about so I have attached a photo of my granddad.

Thank you, David

Belatedly adding to this. Lencops is quite right, the certificate was the award in this case. It was known as a "Divisional Card". Not all Divisions adopted this type of award, so what you have is quite rare.

The Guards Division did not exist before 1915, when it was formed in France. The RFA units that were added to it were originally from the 11th (Northern) and 16th (Irish) Division and all were 1914 volunteer units. George was clearly serving before this and at some point must have been transferred between units.

Back