• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

G & S BROUGH, Bootmakers

skylark

Proud to be a Brummie !!
Can anyone please tell me anything about this company that started in 1861 as bootmakers? I believe the company
is still trading today, but since WW1 they now produce washers. The Broughs who started the company were George
and Samuel Brough.
Many thanks, Margaret.

Hi Margaret,do you have these details taken from Kompass web site

G. & S. Brough Ltd, Birmingham, West Midlands, UK

G & S Brough Ltd was established in 1861 by George & Sam Brough initially as boot manufacturers but it was only after The Great War that washers, at that time in mainly leather and fibre became an integral part of the company's production.

1951 saw the move from Camden Street to larger premised in Commercial Street.

G & S Brough has always been a family run business and has become one of the largest manufacturers of non-metallic washers in the United Kingdom.

G & S Brough are established manufacturers of washers, gaskets, joints & Hydraulic leathers supply to a broad spectrum of industries for nearly 150 years. Washers of any size are produced from all materials and gaskets of any shape from all non-metallic materials.

Materials from which we manufacture every size & type of washer include Acetal, Aluminium, Brass, Butyl, CNJAF, Copper, Cork, Delrin, Elephantide, EPDM, Felt, Fibreboard, Gasket paper, Lead, Leather, Melinex, Mild Steel, Millboard, Neoprene, Nitrile, Nylon, Nylatron, Phosphur Bronze, Polyester, Polypropylene, Polythene, Polyurethane, Presspahn PTFE, PVC, Rubber, Silicone, Sponge, SRBF, SRBP, Viton, Vulcanised Fibre.

In additional we also produce the following: One-off samples, hand cut gaskets, strips, joints, leather cup seals, leather hat seals, washer cut from tubing.

Many materials can be offered with self-adhesive backing.

At G & S Brough Ltd our products are used extensively throughout the entire field of engineering. We strive to serve a wide variety of industries including:
automotive, electronic components, medical, industrial components, electrical/lighting, plumbing/heating, agriculture, Ministry of Defence, British Aerospace, construction, telecommunications, hydraulics/pneumatics, domestic appliances & metal polishing.

Colin

Thank you for all that info, Colin. The George and Samuel Brough that started the company G&S Brough
are in my family tree..they were nephews of my GtGtGt Grandmother (give or take a GT!) How nice to
know the company is still going strong.My thanks once again. Margaret.

Back