• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Frozen Food

Carolynn

master brummie
Can you remember when everyone started to get freezers, the chest type. The first shop I ever used was a shop called Bejam where we bought a frozen turkey one year and let it defrost and it smelt absolutely rancid and we threw it away in a field, knowing the wildlife would eat it anyway. Luckily we had got some 'frozen' chicken portions we could eat for our Xmas lunch.

Aidan I never knew how the name was invented, but the first Bejam we used was in Halesowen in the 70s. We were given the freezer by a shopowner who was selling up and it lasted for years. We only got rid of it because it looked so tatty.

we had a Bejam chest freezer and got half a bullock called Red from our friends he was a nice lad when he was alive and tasted good too

Can,t remember the name of them? but in the early 70s my sister used to have her chest freezer filled up about evry 3 months and pay weekly for the contents.

Back