• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Newspapers : Birmingham Papers (usually BhamPost) 150 Years Ago 1867-

Heard about banana skins causing accidents, but not orange peel
Man attacked by elephant
HEARD ABOUT BANANA SKINS.jpg man atatcked by elephant.jpg

Mike, Graham had a very nasty fall some years ago caused by orange peel (although in his case some of the orange remained). We were just crossing the road round the back of St Martin's.

Unusual wording in advertisement. Never noticed a house referred to as "respectable" before in advert. Would not have thought Wheeleys road to be anything other than respectable in 1867.
The promoters of the event in support of the Tindal Road refuge are trying to attract as many as possible. Particularly like the statement that there will be "no extortion". If only this could be enforced on the overpaid charity "consultants " today.

respectable house.jpg to be no extortion at charity event.jpg

Not Birmingham, but the escape of three gorillas from Manders Menagerie must have reminded locals that hte menagerie had only recently visited Birmingham
William Murphy's "Tabernacle", constructed after not being allowed to speak in the town hall is attacked. Events concerning this structure would later lead to the Riot Act being read when religious maniacs from both sides started causing trouble
Fire at Hurchinson's rope works , Park Road.
Waxworks come to Birmingham.
Escape of three gorullas from Manders menagerie at Belper.jpg attempt to destroy murphy's tabernacle.jpg explosion at westley richards.jpg Fire at Hutchinsons rope manufacturers, Park Road.jpg waxworks come to birmingham.jpg

Mander sMenagerie to visit Birmingham. No mention of gorillas in advert(!) (See cutting above of 30.5.1867)

manders visiting birmingham. no mention of gorillas.jpg

re death of john hardman...there is a blue plaque for him on his house at the corner of naden road and hunters road i think he made the stained glass for st marys convent which is situated opposite

old end tues 21st 013.JPG old end tues 21st 014.JPG

Last edited:
Apparently the parish authorities in Birmingham believed that it was illegal to appeal against a tax assessment after being told you could do so ! Possibly some officials today have a similar point of view in regard to disability payments.
Initiation rites still occur today, but, as then sometimes go too far

government mark.jpg taxpayers should not illegally b etold their rights.jpg

List of schools in Birmingham in 1867.
Unless there was a different meaning to "caution" then it looks like they were advising against buying their own products.
Fire in Newtown Row.
Confusion with spelling.

schools in birmingham, 1867.1.jpg caution.jpg confusion in spelling.jpg fire in newtown row.jpg

I think 'Caution' here means 'Attention'. However I am trying to think of cases where I would use the word caution other than as a warning and I cannot think of any.

I agree David that that was what was meant, but have never come across the word used in that way before

Mike, where would the Horse Show be? Would it be the same as the Horse Fair? I wonder what the Pleasure Fair was.
Also, I eat a lot of lettuce but 150 dozen seems an over abundance to me and not terribly exciting to entice people in. Altogether a very strange advert.

The Birmingham Horse Show was at Bingley Hall.

Caution seems to be used in a cheeky way to get people to take note of the advert!

Further details of explosion at Westley Richards.
Actor John Barton has "works accident" at Theatre Royal

further details of explosion at Westley richards.jpg John Barton has works accident at Theatre royal.jpg

People will always remember the experiences of the past as being better than today.

Things are never as good as we remember they used to be..jpg

The law says flogging of boys is perfectly reasonable.
Somehow I think the paper thought the licensee of the Cheshire Cheese was telling porkies.
Stephenson Place might have been a square, rather than a road.

Flogging of boys perfectly reasonable.jpg theft at cheshire Cheese.jpg Stephenson Place might have been a square.jpg

The Murphy riots are commented upon in (part of) an editorial. The actual report for the day, including watch committee and court reports covers a full page. Religious bigots (on both sides)are obviously rife in birmingham at this time.

Editorial concerning riots erupting after Murphy speks.jpg

Sounds like quite an event with a procession from Deritend to Sherbourne Road

Order of Forresters Gala.jpg

Some rather peculiar arguments were put this week, one in council, the other in court;
A councillor considered that industrial schools ( a form of young offenders institution) might cause parents to throw their children out of their home.
A magistrate considered that a woman stealing an "immoral" book could be discharged as having done no wrong. (the relevant book was a supposed description of the evils of Catholicism). Presumably the magistrate was a Roman Catholic

industrial schools.jpg ok to steal an immorral book.jpg

I think actually that it was possible that the magistrate was anti-Catholic. There was much hostility at that time between Catholics and Protestants. In 1880 the Rev'd Richard Enraught, vicar of Holy Trinity Bordesley, was sent to Warwick Prison for what were regarded as 'Catholic' practices during services in church.

Last edited:
Meanwhile over in Wolverhampton....

William Murphy brought with him copies of the booklet 'The Confessional Unmasked' which, though it had not been written by him, contained similar views to his own. On march 4 the Watch Committee banned the sale of this book, but during the following week Mr Scott, of Waterloo Road, was visited by the police and found to be in the possession of 252 copies. [WC 6th Mar 1867] The books were seized and Scott ordered to appear before the town's magistrates, who found him guilty of selling an obscene publication. [WC 20th Mar 1867] On appeal at the Wolverhampton Quarter Sessions and with the personal support of Murphy himself, Scott won his case on a technicality and his books were returned to him. The Recorder, in giving his judgment, expressed the hope that the Catholic Church would take the case to a higher court and he gave "every facility for prosecuting such an appeal" because he believed that "day after day in this locality aspersions have been cast upon the religion and morals of Roman Catholics ... of whom there are no more faithful servants of the Queen". [WC 29th May 1867] In fact, the original verdict against Scott was reaffirmed on 29 April 1868 by the Lord Chief Justice Alexander Cockburn and four associates in the Queen's Bench who decided that the publication was likely to "deprave and corrupt the minds of those into whose hands the book might fall". [Arnstein op cit p.64].

https://www.historywebsite.co.uk/articles/catholics/jq16.htm

From now on I am again abstracting from the Birmingham Post, as the missing section has been passed by.
New church to be built in Great Colmore St, called St Asaph's
Information on brewing in England
Sale of contents of Grand Sultan Divan. A lot of beds and mattresses. nor surprising considering the place;s reputation

information on brewing in england.jpg new churdh to be built called St Asaphs.jpg sale of contents of GRAND SULTAN DIVAN.jpg

Back