• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Free Computer Program for Designing Libraries.

oldMohawk

gone but not forgotten
Having read the comments in the New Library thread, I had an half hour play on my laptop this morning designing a New Library using the free Google 3DSketchUp8 program.
If I was an 'expert' with the prog and took more time I could probably do much better.
It seems a good program for boxy shapes with round things on top. I could have planted nicer trees and the required fancy scrolling is a problem.
You probably need to have learnt technical drawing to get going with the program.
Google have sold Sketchup to another company ... still partially free if you can find it !

Attachments

• nl.JPG
    nl.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 14
  • nl1.JPG
    nl1.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 12
  • undeneath .JPG
    undeneath .JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
I tried Sketch-up some time back and you've done as well as anyone could reasonably expect. The program is very basic and was put out there so that people could add their own buildings to Google Earth's maps . Most of them are just boxes with pictures of the actual thing stuck to the sides. There are better programs out there but none of them are simple to use for a first timer. Technical drawing doesn't really help.

If you want landscapes rather than buildings you can do a lot with the free parts of Daz Studio/Bryce https://www.daz3d.com/products/bryce/bryce-what-is-bryce
https://www.daz3d.com/products/daz-studio/daz-studio-what-is-daz-studio
T
hey tend to give away the program most of the time and sell you characters/objects that you can use in the program. Some of their programs (and different versions of these) cost money and you need a fairly good computer to make them work well.

Mo. that design would be a great for a library in Birmingham, I wish we had architechs like that here :). We just dont have enough boxes.

I tried Sketch-up some time back and you've done as well as anyone could reasonably expect.
I was looking at the New Library and thought it was rather short of curves apart from the scrolling. In industry we used a program called 'Pro Engineer' from PTC which could solid model anything. I had a 'lite' version in my home computer but had to renew a key every month and one month I forgot and lost it forever. The Google freebie is fun to play with and keeps my mind active! I use so much Google stuff they probably know what I'm having for tea tonight.

Mo. that design would be a great for a library in Birmingham, I wish we had architechs like that here :). We just dont have enough boxes.
I still think the scrolling looks as if it is 'off-the-shelf' stuff cut to size as I mentioned in the New Library thread...never mind the inside of the library is probably good.

Back