• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Fred Dawkins Cafe Highgate Road Balsall Heath

peter ,your dad was a lovely man,i used the cafe for many yrs,,it was great value,,,he quietly gave meals to the odd poor worker,,down on his luck,,later he did my next door neighbours large garden in kings heath, i used to pass him mugs of tea over the hedge,,,he had the talent /know how to fix things,,,he repaired my drill and mower,,as i was about to take to the tip, to say i was a fan is an understatement,,,i still miss our many chats,,,his sister dolly was a wonderful cook, she made the cafe as she was very fast,,at her job,,,,best wishes john griffin, ps my neighbour thought the world of him,
Hi John, dad had a number of ex customers he would do gardens for. One was Stan the butcher on Kings Heath High St, Stan lived near Solihull and who had a number of rented houses dad would visit for him. Dad would also help out for Stan to do deliveries around Christmas time.

I think my Mom may have worked at Fred's Cafe. She 99 now. We're compiling her stories. Lived at Hendon Rd and Larches St and also worked at a toy shop near there. Lovely to read the family history of the Cafe and Fred's famous tea machine!

Back