• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Frankfort street, Hockley

gill and kev...how wonderful...yet again this forum brings folk together...hope you both enjoy chatting about the old days...

lyn

Hi Lyn,
Yes, that is why I love this site. You never know who you may meet (I have never met a 'Fellows', however, which is perplexing).
I have sent Gill an IM.
Thanks for the encouragement, Lyn
Take care
Kevin

hi ya kev..well i have to agree with you we certainly do not know what or who may crop up on this forum...i myself have found a rellie i did not know existed....well he found me actually..he was adopred at birth...had a first and last name change and when his adopted parents passed on he decided to try and find out about his birth mom...saw my family name which i was researching and the rest as they say is history..we keep in touch and although he lives in torbay we have met twice so far....brillient

lyn

Hi Kev, my cousin Gill has told you she lived at 57 Frankfort Street, well I lived at 53! We lived there from 1952 - 1967. My mom & dad were Rose & Jack Savage. I've spoken to Gill and I really can't remember your family. You mentioned the Langfords, I used to play with their son Graham. My aunt win and her son Peter used to live next door to Gill at 59, aunt win used to clean at Mapplebecks.
You did'nt need a radio in those days because workers playtime used to be playing from mapplebecks every morning. Gill seems to remember much more than me! What a small world it is, but it's lovely talking about the "old days"

Hi Patperks, wow! this is becoming a very small world. I will speak with my mom and dad tomorrow and ask them what they remember about the neighbors.
My mom remembers Gill very well because she used to babysit my brother and I. She thought the world of her at the time. My brothers name is Gary. We were six and five at the time. I remember the house and street very clearly. I remember the radio music coming from across the street, and lots of whistling too. Big trucks used to park in front of our window, and to my parents horror, I was forever putting my glasses under the truck tires so they'd be crushed. I hated wearing glasses :)
I had a long walk to school every day--nursery school--I believe it was on Farm street. I remember lots of houses in disrepair. We used to play in them. I am not sure if they were being demolished (1963-65), or had been bombed during the war. I do remember a huge white home, a bit like a mansion. It was down the street to the left if I remember correctly. It looked abandoned. Do you remember that? Do you remember the abandoned car in the courtyard? We had so much fun jumping up and down on its roof.
One man used to scare me every time I went through the archway into the courtyard. He would come around the corner and yell BOO!. I would run home crying. I think my dad said something to him eventually.
Take care, I'll speak with mom and dad (Sylvia and Ron)
Kevin

Hi Kev I used to be your next door neighbour, you actually lived at no. 55 frankfort st. The factory facing where we lived was indeed john e. mapplebecks, my uncle jimmy lyndon worked there and still maaged to be late occaisionally.The pub on the corner of frankfort street and hospital was the dolphin the none one the cnr. of frankfort & russell was the justice . thera was also one on the cnr. frankfort and summer lane was I think the birmingham arms .i remember your parents am glad to hear they're ok

hi Guys,
we lived in Paddington street, but my Aunt Ada lived in frankfurt street, in the terrace next to Kirby's yard, She was born in Ormond street, her married name in Frankfurt street was Loughran, her husband Jimmy was a belfast boy, they moved back to Belfast in about 1957. Jimmy was always in the pub on the corner the Dolphin.
the pub on the corner with Summer lane was the Dares house, the Birmingham Arms was on the corner of Farm streer and summer lane. The Green man was also opposite the Dares pub

all the best
Albert Clayton
sydney, australia

here you go gill the dophin...can you tell me is that hospital st to the left of the pic...

lyn

i remember carol singing outside this pub, my uncle Jimmy used to take the hat round......good memories, that was about 1955....wow time flies
Albert Clayton
sydney, australia

hi albert we seem to be following each other around lol...if you want pics of anything just type what you are looking for in the search box at the top right of the page...

lyn

Hello Albert,
Jack Kirby was a friend of the family. We used to play in his junk yard all the time. It was a fascinating place for kids to explore. He is now long since deceased (early 1970's). Jack always had money being in the junk business. Every Easter he would buy us kids the biggest chocolate Easter eggs from the corner shop on Frankfort and Gee.

Hello Kevin,

I remember the corner shop well, it was actually on the corner of Franfort Street & Hospital Street. Did you ask your mum if she remembered us from Frankfort Street?? have so many fond memories of my childhood!

i remember carol singing outside this pub, my uncle Jimmy used to take the hat round......good memories, that was about 1955....wow time flies
Albert Clayton
sydney, australia

Albert how are you? Last time we spoke was when you recognised me on Friends Re-United! You went to Cowper Street with me. Some of our family lived in Paddington Street, I remember Kirbys yard well! What a small world we live in!!

hello, you did not leave details of who you are ?....hahaha......must be the air.

hi Kev
sorry to take while to get back to you. Yes you are right it was good place for the kids to play, my aunt lived up the next yard, last house on the left before the brewhose and the tiolets, name was Loghlin edest daughter was Margaret, then Jimmy.

Hi avalon
i remember the bents they came from frankfort st
way way back and they moved up by us they lived in george rd hay mills
my two sons and my daughter used to associata with them my daughter nows lives in acocks green
but from time to time she speaks with them
i also remember jack kirby when they left and came to king edwards rd and when they bought there new lorry
great people great family even thou alot of people whom dont really know them run them down
bnest wishes astonion

Thanks a lot for the picture of the corner shop. I used to live at 53, not really that far up from the shop. Have you any more pictures of around that area? Did you live around there? Do you remember the other shop in Hospital Street, just down from this one? "Katy Goodman's", she used to make toffee apples and put them in the front window in the summer and the flies used to stick to them!

Hi Pat,I used to live higher up Hospital St near New John St West.As for pictures View attachment 59281Hospital St,they are as rare as hens teeth.Here is one of The Dolphin,as you know it was on the other corner of Frankford St and Hospital St.Moss.

Hi Mossg,
What a great picture. Thanks! I have been waiting for a better picture of the street. It is a rare thing indeed. Frankfort runs up where the cars are parked, correct?. Funny how memory can be, for I remember the brickwork being much darker than it appears in this picture. Are the blocked off doors the entrances to the courtyard?
As you have read, I was there as a child in number 55 (between Gill and Pat). I remember riding my tricycle up and down the footpath and around the shop down Hospital street. I believe you could enter the courtyard next to the shop, and if I remember correctly, the entrance was larger than the entrances along Frankfort street. I remember the inhabitants of the houses often sitting on their doorsteps in the late afternoon. It has been a long time ago. Does anyone remember the clock on the building wall up a bit from our house (55)?
Another thing I remember (I sound like I am 90 years old!) was the rag and bone man coming along with his cart and horse. He would give us colored streamers I believe, for junk we gave to him.
There were very few cars in the early 1960's on that street. I don't remember any buses either. My dad must have walked a long way to the bus stop.
I remember an old man who would go around the streets with a sack picking up dead cats and dogs off the road. Anyone remember him? As kids we were fascinated.

Hi ozbrummie,
I'll check with my mom and dad on the family name. I need to check on a few details for Patperks, too. My dad does not remember much because he was always away working after demobbing from the Royal Airforce. My mom was mainly at home, but she did work at Lucas for a while. Nonetheless, she remembers most people in the area, like Gill, in number 57, who used to babysit us when she worked.
My kids cannot believe we used to have to go outside and around the corner into a dark courtyard to use the toilet. They cannot believe my mom and dad would fill a galvanized tub (in the family room) with hot water from the stove to bathe in. Seems like the dark ages to them :)

Hi Patperks,
I flew to Michigan last week, and forgot to bring my laptop with me (she does not have a computer). I will be calling her on Sunday. I will ask for a few details.
Pat, do you remember the wedding reception which parked outside our house in 1965? It was for my dad's sister. I remember other kids from the street outside looking at the shiny black cars. I wonder if you were one of them.
Do you remember the big fire across the street (lumberyard I believe) about 1963-64? Everyone was out that evening watching. How about Guy Fawkes day? All of us would go outside and light fireworks on the street.
There were two of us kids in number 55, for I have a younger brother (by 11 months). He is the one my parent's friends and relatives often described as "adorable", (if not a right cheeky rascal). I was the skinny quiet kid with round glasses, often broken in the middle, and a lazy eye :) Do you remember us?
All the best to you,
Speak again, soon

Hi Moss,
good find. I just explored the area of your photograph with Google street view. Amazing. Seems this is one little corner which the demolition planners forgot about. I wonder how old and what function the building had years ago. Interesting details on the windows and doors. I love old architecture--gives the city character. A few thousand pounds would make that building look grand if anyone cared to do so. Thanks for sharing.

Sunday afternoon wouldnt have been the same without a pint of penny winks off Blacky Raven.Moss.

Hi, does anyone remember much about Frankfort street? I lived as a child at 55 Frankfort street--a back-to-back council house, from 1957 until 1965. I remember a noisey Non-Ferous metals factory located right across the street from our door. There was the corner shop whose name neither I, nor my parents can remember. There were a few pubs on the corner too. Someone suggested they may have been The Great Bull, The little Bull, and The Trees. I remember the smell of beer wafting through the windows as I walked up the hill to my nursery school.
There were still bombed out buildings along the street, too, and we were forever for later...
Anyone have any memories or thoughts?
Thanks,
Kevin
i was born at 59 frankfort st 1946 left 1954.mapplebecks was the factory and shop was days.what memories.remember tony shuttleworth.and the weetmans lived at 61 am amazed houses were still standing so long..i thought they were condemned when we were there.shared toilet with 8 families,also brewhouse.had great coronation party with piano.s wheeled onto cobbles.then into factory in the evening.loved the bomb site off gee st.,called it ,the old peck?such poverty but such fun.went to cowper st school,and lived to tie big rope onto lamp post while a grown up turned it and dozens of kids skipped for ages.also remember blackie raven with his peri winkle barrow

Hi Irene, Ive asked this before ....was it true what they said about the way blacky raven prepared his penny winkles. MY Family lived next door to the ravens at one point. They were Crowes and had Rookes nearby so it was Ravens, Crowes and Rookes.

Back