• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Frankfort street, Hockley

Hi dont remember too much about frankfort street, i was born in dudley road, and we lived at 1/32 frankfort street but moved about a year later. When my aunt and uncle moved in they were named Salmon, had daughter Barbara, and shirley, Barbera died i think sbout 1947. Another daughter linda born 1945. We used to visit regularly, the only other name that springs to mind was a family called Cusaks not sure spelling correct.

Hello Sheilr,i lived in the same yard as Linda at no8,i remember her well,she was a great Helen Shapiro fan

Welcome to the forum Peter. I'm sure Sheilr will be pleased you've posted. Keep posting your memories and enjoy the forum. Viv.

Hi peter just spoken to my cousin linda she says it is not her your remembering, never been a helen shpero fan. Must be another linda from the area. But thanks for reply.

hello dmin thank you for allowing me to join; hello sheila,i,m sorry linda doesn,t remember me,our family name was hogg,as you walked up the"entry" to our yard linda lived in the first house on the left and we lived in the house on the right,our family name was hogg,my mother and father were from the north east

Anyone remember the fatal house fire in Frankfort St in the early 60s which took the lives of 4 children in a back to back house whilst their parents were out. I was one of the first fire crew to arrive flames were issuing from a ground floor window in the court yard with people screaming there are children inside a ladder was maneuvered up the entry and pitched to the upper floor to effect a rescue and a jet of water used to knock down flames rolling out of a ground floor which set fire to the varnish on the ladder whilst a fireman was trying to break into the bedroom. At the same time men dressed in breathing apparatus entered the house and located the children who were brought down the ladder but efforts to resuscitate them were in vain which upset the family members of the crew. At this point the parents returned and all hell broke loose. I believe the fire was started by candles , this incident sticks in my mind because it was the first fatal fire that I attended.

Thanks peter your right my aunt and uncle, barbara, shirley and linda certainly did live in the house on the left that was 1/32 so if you lived on the right you must have been at the back of the cusaks. I have messaged linda with the info, see if it jogs her memory. Regards sheilr

Hello aggie2347,
I do remember the fire. One of the little boys killed in the fire was my good friend. I was only 4 or 5 (I have a vivid memory of those childhood days). We played together every day. I think he went to the nursery school with me on Farm street too.
I remember walking up to his house one day and saw it was burned out. I don't think I could comprehend what happened at that moment but on the way back to 55 Frankfort street I stopped at the corner shop. By coincidence the ladies in the shop were talking about the fire. I remember the shop keeper saying the womans hair was burned or on fire and she was screaming. Not sure if that was my friends mom or not, but the words and image stuck with me for all these years. Terrible tragedy
It is amazing too I should run across your post. Incredible description. Was that about 1963?
Kevin

Great picture Lyn,showing Beckett's bookies and Jack Kirby's rag and bone yard.Thank you,moss.

I've come to this very late, but I was feeling nostalgic with the impending anniversary of my fathers passing and it's great to see photos of the area he grew up in, we don't have many childhood pictures of him at home. He was Trevor Beckett, and this betting shop was owned by the family. From what I remember him telling me, they sold up to one of the chains in the mid 60's. I drive past here a few times a week and it's changed beyond recognition of these photos! He lived in Colmore Terrace which I believe was where the primary school is now located on the corner of John St West and Summer Lane. I also recognise the name Jacksons, my father was a very good friend of Barry, and worked there at the garage after school during the 50's.

welcome to the forum tom..its never too late to post on any thread...glad to have you on board....keep on posting... so pleased you like the photos especially the one of your dads betting shop...

lyn

Hi Tom welcome to the forum. I remember your dad Trevor well, having played in the same football and cricket teams as him at both St Georges and Summer Lane schools. Unfortunately all of my team photos have disappeared over the years, and the only one left is one of Summer Lane PE team which your dad was not part of.
It does show your uncle Roger Hope who was a very good all round sportsman.

Attachments

• Summer Lane school P.E.Team 1960.jpg
    Summer Lane school P.E.Team 1960.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 32
Hi mossg, I think Roger is the 2nd in from the right on the middle row isn't he? Roger is still with us, he lives down in Devon now. He was an extremely good allround sportsman by all accounts. I am also in touch with Gerry Clarke - in fact, is he also on this picture? It looks a bit like him, middle row 2nd in from the left? I also see both Doug Prosser and Brian Jaggers on a regular basis if any of these names are familiar to you.

Hi Tom. You are right about the position of Roger ( please give him my regards the next time you speak to him )
2nd left middle row is Jeff Beddoes. I have re posted the picture with most of their names.
I remember Dougie Prosser, He went to Gower St school, and also played for Aston Boys.

Attachments

• Summer Lane school P.E.Team 1960 at St Johns,Church Lane,Perry Barr..jpg
    Summer Lane school P.E.Team 1960 at St Johns,Church Lane,Perry Barr..jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 20
Hi Tom. You are right about the position of Roger ( please give him my regards the next time you speak to him )
2nd left middle row is Jeff Beddoes. I have re posted the picture with most of their names.
I remember Dougie Prosser, He went to Gower St school, and also played for Aston Boys.

I certainly will Moss - I assume he will know who I mean if I say 'Moss' I'll show him that picture too if you don't mind.

Next time I see Dougie too I'll mention you. I'm sure there are some photos of my dads schooldays but they are most likely nestled away somewhere in some sort of storage box at my mothers house. I might try and have a mooch next time I'm there and post anything that may seem to be of interest....

Hi Tom,
Roger will know me as moss, if he remembers me at all.
I don't think for a minute Dougie will remember me at all as the only time we would have met would have been when Summer Lane played against Gower street.
It would be great if you found any pictures of our teams at either St George's or Summer Lane. Mossg.

Lovely reading about Frankfort street.I lived at 53 Frankfort street from 1953 to 1967.gill Lyndon is my second cousin she lived at 57.went to school with Eileen heath.My friends were pat and Maureen McHale,Linda salmon Pauline Kenny.Graham Langford lived next door.I remember the kirbys,blackie raven selling pennywinks.My aunt who lived at 59 Winnie Worrall used to clean at mapplebecks. What memories!

my gt grandparents lived at no 69 from about 1900to 1905 map here showing no 69..please note that before 1882 the numbering would have been different..

lyn
frankfort st map no 69.jpg

Hi everyone, just ready posts about Frankfort Street, I have discovered that my Grandfather lived at 2 back house, Court 19 Frankfort Street in 1911 with his parents Bert and Emily Turner, my Grandad was 4 years old then and there were four other children. Long shot I know but does anyone have any info/pictures of Frankfort street as it was or any info on my grandfather Joseph Turner born March 7 1907. Many thanks Jill

a lot of the photos posted on this this thread were lost when the forum was hacked but i have reposted some of them from post 124

lyn

Hi, does anyone remember much about Frankfort street? I lived as a child at 55 Frankfort street--a back-to-back council house, from 1957 until 1965. I remember a noisey Non-Ferous metals factory located right across the street from our door. There was the corner shop whose name neither I, nor my parents can remember. There were a few pubs on the corner too. Someone suggested they may have been The Great Bull, The little Bull, and The Trees. I remember the smell of beer wafting through the windows as I walked up the hill to my nursery school.
There were still bombed out buildings along the street, too, and we were forever exploring the devastation looking for shrapnel.
I have looked at a google satellite map of the area, and it has obviously been totaly reconstructed. I must get a map from the early 60's.
My memories are very vivid of that area and of that time, I could go on, but I will save it for later...
Anyone have any memories or thoughts?
Thanks,
Kevin

Hi I m looking for any pictures of 10 court 3 frankfort st Birmingham in 1900 onwards or prior also the Rolph Arthur and Clara wit all the daughter's lived there and at 43 Lord St they are my grate grandparents any information is much appreciated
Hi
They are my great grandparents too

old times

Hello kev
Sorry i cant help you about the pubs on the corners, sad to say barry is no longer with us . he would have been 64 ,we used to go to kirbys scrap yard when we was kids with the old closes,we collected, worked with a lad . his name was roy kirby i think jack kirby was his uncle. one queston kev did you no familey called drayton .lived the bottom of great russill street. june drayton......by kev

Hi Billyboy,
How old would Barry be now? While I have your attention: do you remember the names of the pubs on Frankfort street? There was one on the way from my house to Jack's rag yard, I think it was on the corner of gee and frankfurt (I was only a kid at the time). Also, there was a huge factory fire about 1962 on Frankfort street. Every family came out of their back to backs in the early evening to watch it.

Did you know Jack Kirby?
Lots of questions :)
Thanks
Hi I'm new on this site, the only pub I know was called the cross guns in the corner of Frankfurt St and Sumner Lane. My dad used to go there for his Sunday pint.

hello dmin thank you for allowing me to join; hello sheila,i,m sorry linda doesn,t remember me,our family name was hogg,as you walked up the"entry" to our yard linda lived in the first house on the left and we lived in the house on the right,our family name was hogg,my mother and father were from the north east
Hi peter, I remember the Hogg family. We lived up the first entry in number 3. I have two brothers George and jimmy Preston.

Anyone remember the fatal house fire in Frankfort St in the early 60s which took the lives of 4 children in a back to back house whilst their parents were out. I was one of the first fire crew to arrive flames were issuing from a ground floor window in the court yard with people screaming there are children inside a ladder was maneuvered up the entry and pitched to the upper floor to effect a rescue and a jet of water used to knock down flames rolling out of a ground floor which set fire to the varnish on the ladder whilst a fireman was trying to break into the bedroom. At the same time men dressed in breathing apparatus entered the house and located the children who were brought down the ladder but efforts to resuscitate them were in vain which upset the family members of the crew. At this point the parents returned and all hell broke loose. I believe the fire was started by candles , this incident sticks in my mind because it was the first fatal fire that I attended.
I remember it so well I used to play with the eldest girl, i was heart broken when my dad came off the night shift at Lucas and told my mum that all the children died. Their granddad jumped out of the window and saved his own life, parents were in the pub. Tragic it was. Cathleen Currant was my friends name, ( not sure of spelling surname).

Hello aggie2347,
I do remember the fire. One of the little boys killed in the fire was my good friend. I was only 4 or 5 (I have a vivid memory of those childhood days). We played together every day. I think he went to the nursery school with me on Farm street too.
I remember walking up to his house one day and saw it was burned out. I don't think I could comprehend what happened at that moment but on the way back to 55 Frankfort street I stopped at the corner shop. By coincidence the ladies in the shop were talking about the fire. I remember the shop keeper saying the womans hair was burned or on fire and she was screaming. Not sure if that was my friends mom or not, but the words and image stuck with me for all these years. Terrible tragedy
It is amazing too I should run across your post. Incredible description. Was that about 1963?
Kevin
The families name was Currant. Not sure of spelling.

Hi I'm new on this site, the only pub I know was called the cross guns in the corner of Frankfurt St and Sumner Lane. My dad used to go there for his Sunday pint.
the pubs in frankfort st were,the cross guns on the junction of summer lane and frankfort st ,the dolphin pub on the corner of hospital st and the fountain on the corner with gt russell street

Back