• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Foundry Road Infants School

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi folks..ive not heard of it but does anyone know if there was a school called foundry school...just trying to help someone out and as their rellies lived in winson green road she thinks they would have attended this school...any pics would be of great help...

cheers

lyn

i think it would be pics of foundry primary school i am after...looks like its still there...

lyn

hi astoness
yes there is a school called foundry raod junior and infants school
its on the corner of foundry road and yes the school still satnds
i use to go there as a child
if you use google maps street view it will show you the school
hope this helps
celia

hi lune
dont know if this will help
but i shall be going to winson green at the end of the month
handsworth cen and to tread my old stompping groud
but be more than happy to take some pics for your of foundry rd school
be great to see my old school again lol
let me know if you wont some pics doing
and we can sort out a way of sending them to you

celia

Hi Lyn

Here's a photo of the school back in the day. is that what you are looking for?

Phil

WinsonGreenFoundryRdJandISchool.jpg

thanks bri and thank you phil thats just what i want...just trying to sort a few pics out for shirley who we will meet on wednesday..her grandfather lived in winson green road early 1900s and she is thinking its more than likely he attended this school..

lyn

thanks bri and thank you phil thats just what i want...just trying to sort a few pics out for shirley who we will meet on wednesday..her grandfather lived in winson green road early 1900s and she is thinking its more than likely he attended this school..

lyn

Lyn, I've only just come across this post, and don't know whether you're still in touch with "Shirley".

My grandfather also attended Foundry Rd. School in the early 1900s, and as part of my teacher training in the 1970's, I had to interview someone who was at school at the turn of the century. Grandpa (then aged 78) was available, had an excellent memory and loved to talk, so I asked some questions and off he went, (with all recorded on reel to reel tape!) and a transcription made later. It got me an A* for my History of Education module!!

I have still got the transcription, later transferring the "reel to reel" onto a cassette, and a friend has promised to put it onto disc for me when he returns to the UK this summer.

I would be happy to let Shirley, or anyone else with an interest in the school, have a copy if they get in touch. I shall also be contacting the school to see if they want a copy for their archives.

hi bryn and thank you for that very kind offer but i am no longer in touch with shirley...many thanks again

lyn

It's been a while since I went through my stuff but here I am again. If you by chance still have the info (disc) about the Foundry school; would love to hear from you.

Shirley

hi folks..ive not heard of it but does anyone know if there was a school called foundry school...just trying to help someone out and as their rellies lived in winson green road she thinks they would have attended this school...any pics would be of great help...

cheers

lyn
I think and stress "think" I have a picture of the staff from around 1950 to 1960. My late father Laurence Poole taught there before moving on to other schools. This would have been his first teaching position. I am clearing out some old stuff and came across 3 staff pictures and I know the other two are from the other schools he taught at so assume the picture in question is from foundry road

cheers

lyn
I think and stress "think" I have a picture of the staff from around 1950 to 1960. My late father Laurence Poole taught there before moving on to other schools. This would have been his first teaching position. I am clearing out some old stuff and came across 3 staff pictures and I know the other two are from the other schools he taught at so assume the picture in question is from foundry road

cheers

lyn
Hi, my name is Sarah Giles, I went to Foundry Rd Infant school. I was born in '66' so would have gone there around 1970.
We lived on the Winson Green Road, in the houses at the back of the shops, there were 2 rows of houses. We had the end one with the old boiler house attached.
We had to move because the house were knocked down to make way for the visitors centre for the prison.
But yes, there was a school called Foundry Road, I believe it is now called Oasis Academy.
Sadly, I have no pictures, but I do remember, the classrooms were around the assembly hall. I hope this helps. I will see if I can find pictures.
Regards. Sarah

Back