• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

foster News agent - Cov road 1950-1962

parabellum

knowlegable brummie
Trying to trace some information about my nan and granddads shop. It was located on Coventry road on the small health side. It was a newsagents which also sold sweets(ones in the bottles, behind the counter). There is a chance that some members might remember it. They owned it from around 1950 till 1962. From what my father says the shop was by a furniture shops chezlers. The shop was either called "Fosters News Agents" Or "W& M Foster news agent"

From 1955 Kellys:
Foster W. H. & M. tobcensts. 413 Coventry rd 10
This is shown in red on the c 1951 map

Incorrect map removed . See post below.

I do apologise, but can't count properly. Have removed earlier map, which was incorrect and actually showed no 415 in red.. Please replace by map below , where 413 is in blue (and 415 in red)

map_c_1951_coventry_road_fosters__no_413.jpg

hi mike ;
if i have read your map correctly would that be by the small heath park on the right hand side of the road going towards the city
and ifit was then the shopwas taken overby a family called butts ;whom still continued to sell tobbaco
but in the later part of time for about three or for years sell mobile phone equipents with the name still showing butts
and the other member of the butts whom i know was on pershore road he his the father old mr butts died some years ago
mrs butts is still aive and lives in a home in selly park not far from there old shop which was a tobbaconist and news papers as well way back then but now its next to the selly park tavern in selly park and is a some kind of gym i can recal them
one on cov; rd was the son they never really got on but when s dad was on holiday he would come and do there releif
have a nice day best wishes astonian ; alan

Alan
It must be about three quarters of a mile nearer the city than small Heath Park, on the left goung into town
Mike

hi mike
i was going by the spae on the map you put on it loked like a park green area and as we lived at 806 cov;
i estimated it on that the building up the cov rd we livd opprsite the roots car factory years ago efore the built asda
so it could be far up a the old garrison rd end towards cov; or may be the old bus garage just before the bend to theold picture house what do you think alan

Hi
I remember the shop very well it was near the corner of Cyril Road and Coventry Road right facing The Coronet Cinema. I used to go in there regular as i was a Comics Buff and went around Newsagents looking for the latest and cheapest Comics. I do not remember the people that owned it as i only went in as a customer.
Wal.

one on cov; rd was the son they never really got on but when s dad was on holiday he would come and do there releif
have a nice day best wishes astonian ; alan
Are you talking about the oweners from wh & m tobacconist? Or the people who took over after.

Hi
I remember the shop very well it was near the corner of Cyril Road and Coventry Road right facing The Coronet Cinema. I used to go in there regular as i was a Comics Buff and went around Newsagents looking for the latest and cheapest Comics. I do not remember the people that owned it as i only went in as a customer.
Wal.

The owners where my grand parents William Henry and Marie (W.H& M tob). I am the Youngest Daughter of their only son Paul.

Its nice to see people remember the shop:D

Back